Why become a member? ×

Tapewound strings for acoustic bass

bottomfeed

I recently purchased an Aria FEB fretless acoustic bass [i](affectionately called a 'febfluffen' on TB)[/i]

I would like to put some[b] Nylon tape wound strings[/b] on it but I'm not finding it easy to track down a light enough gauge to fit the nut slots without having to file them out...

LaBella do an extra light set of flats (760FX) which are 39 - 96... but I can't find any tapes lighter than 750N - Light
.050 - G 1 .065 - D 2 .085 - A 3 .105 - E 4.

Execpt the 'Beatle bass' set for a Hofner Violin fit....

Any suggestions?

My febfluffen!.....

Edited by bottomfeed

Confusing post, inasmuchas tapewound is the term the Americans use for flats.
Do you mean nylon tape wound? I have the Picato Black Nylon set on a 5-string, and while the set is 50-105 plus 130, they feel really light. Remember some of the thickness is taken up with very light nylon, and the windings have almost no effect on the tension of the string.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1491733899' post='3275052']
Confusing post, inasmuchas tapewound is the term the Americans use for flats.
Do you mean nylon tape wound? I have the Picato Black Nylon set on a 5-string, and while the set is 50-105 plus 130, they feel really light. Remember some of the thickness is taken up with very light nylon, and the windings have almost no effect on the tension of the string.
[/quote]

Ah yes..... indeed, I mean Nylon tape wound.... :) I have added that to the original post now..... thanks!

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1491822422' post='3275568']
La Bella make nylon tapewounds in many different flavours (black, gold, copper and white) that are available in 50/65/85/105.
[/quote]

What Are the tone differences between them? I've tried the black which are very warm and I've read the whites are brighter! Any idea where the copper and gold fit in?

Cheers

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1491941802' post='3276708']
What Are the tone differences between them? I've tried the black which are very warm and I've read the whites are brighter! Any idea where the copper and gold fit in?

Cheers
[/quote]

Yes, I think the order is black/copper/gold/white from mellow to bright. I use whites on fretted basses and coppper on fretless.

Thanks for all the suggestions .... I eventually went with the LaBella extra light Flats.... The gauge fits exactly with the nut... & although I was unsure if I'd get on with a set so light,[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]39 - 96.... They actually feel great & sound perfect.... [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maybe try some Nylon Tapewounds another time... These will probably last for ever on this bass though!.. :)[/font][/color]

Edited by bottomfeed