Why become a member? ×

P retro passive problem

badboy1984

I just had my john east p retro install today on my PJ bass. First thing is the bass sound lovely with thr p retro and i like the preamp system once you work out what each knob does. Takes some time to get use to because is not a typical 3 band eq system. I have to install a switch to the bass to toggle the pickups because the p retro don't have blend knob.

My issue at the moment is the passive and active push pull from the volumn knob doesn't do anything. The active preamp is engage whether you in passive or active mode.

Personally doesn't bother me because the passive control is always on and the preamp boost knob set to centre position it will not change the tone.

My concern is if the battery goes flat out will it switch to passive mode even tho my passive mode doesn't work?

The battery in a P retro isn't removable, it's wired into the circuit.

My guess would be that it will go to passive mode when the battery is flat. The passive tone and volume controls are in the signal path for the active side. As Grangur days, leave it plugged in and see what happens?

It's probably a dry joint on the pot.

That is s good idea actually, i will leave it plug in to see will it go to passive mode when flat. The volumn and tone is passive that feeds to the active part. Everything works fine just can't toggle passive and active. Personaly i like it this way, i just boost when i want to use active and leave it in centre position if i just want passive control.

I've email John about this already he told me to remove the volumn knob to try the push pull toggle. I did that it the result is he same. I've left a cable plugin at the moment to drain the battery. Will see if passive mode still works when battery is flat out. If it does, i'm not bother because i prefer it this way, the boost knob can leave it at centre to turn preamp off. I can boost when needed. The preamp is so clean that i can hv the preamp engage all the time.