Why become a member? ×

Fat Lama - Gear rental

BassApprentice

Odd title I know.

Stumbled across this on a Facebook ad. (congrats. targeted ads) Seems like it's a Gumtree style rental service. Does loads of stuff but particularly interested around the Music gear hiring. Rather than standard fare from gear rental services you might be able to get something more interesting out of this.

It is a massive risk I guess giving away your gear to a stranger but they say everything is fully insured.

[url="https://fatlama.com/about"]https://fatlama.com/about[/url]

I like the concept as some of us may have too much gear that isn't being used but don't want to sell so could make some money rather than hanging on a wall/in a case.

What do you guys think? Good idea? Load of bollocks?

Edited by BassApprentice

• 8 months later...
23 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Unless the "hirer" leaves the full asking price as a deposit, what guarantee do you have that you'll ever see it again?

Fat Lama has an insurance policy and they, supposedly, check out hirers. Don't ask me how. 

Just now, Grangur said:

Fat Lama has an insurance policy and they, supposedly, check out hirers. Don't ask me how. 

I just had a look. It appears very ropey. Says you have to claim on your own insurance first and then use theirs if you don't have any joy. Sounds like a scam to me.

5 minutes ago, gs_triumph said:

Standard insurance practice really.  You claim off your own insurance first in a car accident.  It's your insurance company who claims from 'their' insurance company. 

Rather different. You, as the insured, are driving your car. You won't be using the kit that gets wrecked. A total stranger will (your car insurance won't cover that). If you want to chance it, let us know how you get on.