Why become a member? ×

Hand Truck

Yank

Pulled a muscle in my back 2 weeks ago. Layed me up for a week. Healing now, but decided to change how I move gear. My cabs are around 40 lbs., but unwieldy. Picked up a hand truck. Pro quality, steel, not too heavy, large wheels to handle stairs, D handle, for one handed use. Fantastic piece of gear! It's a Milwaukie. Made in the USA. Well worth the money. Any one else use one?

I use Millennium's blatant copy of the RockNRoller RMH1. Very happy so far, and folds down nicely for use in the car. At 30 quid, it's 25% cheaper than the real thing with equal functionality, including castors with decent bearings.

I looked at those hand trucks you're speaking of. I was concerned that rather than making things easier, potentially I was increasing the weight load for something quite cumbersome.

OTOH - if you have a van, happy days! :)

[quote name='Tonteee' timestamp='1491561147' post='3273944']
I use Millennium's blatant copy of the RockNRoller RMH1.
[/quote]

Wow, I just checked that out on the Thomann site, and they are definitely blatant copies! I'm surprised they get away with that, especially as they are a dealer for the original.

I bought a legit RMH1 from Thomann a couple of years ago. My only two issues with it are that one of the simple brace bars has snapped off at the back (but it doesn't seem to affect its strength) and the handle is a little too short for me when fully extended (I'm 6'3" so you have to stoop a bit to pull it). It's not a massive hindrance though, and mine has always been great.

I suppose they could be licensed, but I doubt it.

I don't have an RMH1 to compare, but I'd guess the main differences are slightly different wheels, lower quality powder coat and maybe lower grade steel. Oh, and I only have one sprung lug to lock out the handle, on the left spar. Maybe the RMH1 has two?

Still, haven't broken it yet...

Edited by Tonteee

I've just bought one of these on recommendation of a much older Basschat thread I found whilst searching Google!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Folding-Hand-Cart-Foldable-Trolley-Barrow-Sack-Truck-Aluminium-Heavy-Duty/401261451658?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D2220072%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40656%26meid%3D99a16a5d1a0447caa336a270dc6a7816%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D331645919400

Seems to be pretty good for the required job ...so far anyway!!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1491576217' post='3274097']
I've just bought one of these on recommendation of a much older Basschat thread I found whilst searching Google!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Folding-Hand-Cart-Foldable-Trolley-Barrow-Sack-Truck-Aluminium-Heavy-Duty/401261451658?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D2220072%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40656%26meid%3D99a16a5d1a0447caa336a270dc6a7816%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D331645919400

Seems to be pretty good for the required job ...so far anyway!!
[/quote]

I have had one of these hand trucks in the trunk of my car for 5 years. I have never used it.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1491591488' post='3274213']
I have had one of these hand trucks in the trunk of my car for 5 years. I have never used it.

Blue
[/quote]

If you had to move your gear 400 yds through a field to a festival stage you would have :-)

I use one like these - picked up locally for less than £20 five years ago.. http://www.sacktrucksdirect.co.uk/200kg-solid-toe-sack-truck.html

Edited by markstuk

Blue
[/quote]

Heh heh!!!

I'm quite pleased I'd bought it now as yesterday I moved a massive drawer chest down the drive and in to the garage on my own. (I have a bad back) Absolutely brilliant, no wobbles, zero effort! So even if I don't use it again for months, it has earned it's money back already.

Dood - the reason I bought the big butch steel thing I have is that I gave up on the one that you have. broke two of them under differing circumstances & after replacing the last one with another sliding aluminium one of better quality and having that collapse and die, I decided to go for big and butch.
FWIW I have now moved four fridges three washing machines a heavy duty petrol generator and a ton of other stuff in addition to my bass kit & my PA with no obvious wear and tear.

Sincerely hope you are less clumsy and more lucky than me.

Whatever you do, avoid the hand trolleys from Homebase. They are junk. I had to get one in a hurry a few months ago so it was my only option that day, didn't realise it was so poorly designed that you can only push it in front of you, if you try to pull it it buckles and falls over. Not good at all.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1491767749' post='3275265']
Dood - the reason I bought the big butch steel thing I have is that I gave up on the one that you have. broke two of them under differing circumstances & after replacing the last one with another sliding aluminium one of better quality and having that collapse and die, I decided to go for big and butch.
FWIW I have now moved four fridges three washing machines a heavy duty petrol generator and a ton of other stuff in addition to my bass kit & my PA with no obvious wear and tear.

Sincerely hope you are less clumsy and more lucky than me.
[/quote]

Or to put it another way, I hope mine doesn't fall to pieces too!! Lol :) Thank you, I'll be sure to go easy on this one just in case!!

Several years ago I bought a Wolfcraft 5500 online for £50 (I believe the prices have gone up somewhat) when my back was at its worst.

It is strongly made and has a bar between the wheels so they don't wobble and break. I haven't used it in awhile (since getting the Super Compacts) but it's the best trolley on rough surfaces and gravel that I've seen so far.

Most useful bit of musical kit I've ever bought! (I've got the same one as Dood). I picked it up for a tenner in Aldi. It makes moving my 4x10 a breeze, and speeds up load-in/out of the PA.

It's strong and light and folds down small enough to chuck in the boot with the rest of the gear. However, when I used it last weekend (after 7 year's trouble-free service) the handle stopped automatically locking into position, so it looks like it needs some TLC - I probably just need to lube the locking pins.

Blue
[/quote]

I haven't used it, but I'm certainly not going to get rid of it.

It'll stay in the trunk of my car. Sooner or later I'll be thankful it's there and I'll use it.

Blue