Why become a member? ×

Basschat Noodle Bar

Skol303

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1492008789' post='3277159']
Ok well here is my rather simple noodle. Recorded very quickly and not played the best I could.
This is actually A longer version of a noodle I put up last year. Actually I made this up a few years ago for a girl I was seeing at the time.

http://youtu.be/5JgJi-O-TiA
[/quote]

About time... The new incarnation of the noodle bar didn't feel quite right without a contribution from you... :)

A nice little tune about a girl... a lament perhaps?

As a passing point (and I'm no teacher so feel free to ignore me) have you tried anchoring your thumb on the pickup when playing the lower strings? Might enable you to get your fingers a bit straighter and play more freely :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1492018269' post='3277269']

About time... The new incarnation of the noodle bar didn't feel quite right without a contribution from you... :)

A nice little tune about a girl... a lament perhaps?

As a passing point (and I'm no teacher so feel free to ignore me) have you tried anchoring your thumb on the pickup when playing the lower strings? Might enable you to get your fingers a bit straighter and play more freely :)
[/quote]

Its certainly a lament now! Haha. But at the time when I first played that for her, it certainly got me into her good books. I sent her a link to the vid but alas no reply.

As for the pickup thing, I always use my thumb on the above string I'm playing to keep it mute. In combo with my palm etc. Other techniques I really struggle to keep other strings mute.
So the only time I anchor my thumb is when only playing the E.
It does slow me down a touch I feel, as its a little cramped. So its something I could maybe work on.

And it feels good to be back at the noodle bar.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1492022943' post='3277316']
And it feels good to be back at the noodle bar.
[/quote]

I'm glad it's survived... I'll keep trying to put something new up every month or so I think, that seems about the right frequency.

Looking forward to seeing what others are working on :)

Because the noodles are so short it's super easy to listen and comment and I think that's a winning formula :)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1492159975' post='3278322']
Is there going to be a new noodle thread each month?
It might be useful to remind us to do new ones regularly. I find months go by with nothing done unless I get the occasional prod...
[/quote]

I guess it'll just be this thread... I reckon one or two a month is about the right frequency. A barrage of daily submissions from the same person could grow tedious... especially if it was me 😐

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1492179789' post='3278514']

I guess it'll just be this thread... I reckon one or two a month is about the right frequency. A barrage of daily submissions from the same person could grow tedious... especially if it was me 😐
[/quote]

I already have a noodle in mind. And I have something a little more ambitious, but still crap lol, lined up for the one after.
I think your right about frequency 1 or 2 a month.

Cheers guys for kicking off the new Noodle Bar! :drinks:

Really nice contributions so far and I like the use of YouTube. I have a recent noodle to add myself and will upload it next chance I get.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1492159975' post='3278322']Is there going to be a new noodle thread each month?[/quote]

For the sake of simplicity, there’s going to be one continuous Noodle Bar thread [i](this one!)[/i], which anyone can contribute to as and when they choose. I’m going to give it a plug in the General Discussion forum once a month, just to encourage people to have a listen and hopefully get involved.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1492530498' post='3280990']
The issue with uploading playing a cover version in Soundcloud.com is that they may remove it?
[/quote]

They might do... as may YouTube, but the detection software thingy they use is fairly hit and miss.

For an isolated bass part you should be fine (even more so if you make a complete mess of the cover version as I tend to!). Less so if you're playing along to the original.

Edited by Skol303

• 2 weeks later...

A new Month it is, so time for a new noodle... :)

Been messing around with ways of recording better videos, I'm slowly getting there but this was a bit of a test run really. I've had a go at recording the audio direct for better quality. I've also realised I need to come up with a way of starting / ending these better so its not quite so abrupt. :blink:

I've bought a simple ABY box to split the signal from my bass, taking a line to my amp (so I can hear what I'm doing) and another line to my little Boss BR80 recorder. I then lined them up in iMovie.

Anyway on with the noodle... Used a looper for this one which I know is a bit cheeky as it's not strictly naked bass as it were but ah well... just this once :) Each part is layered as I play it and nothing is pre-recorded so I don't feel too bad about it... also in traditional noodle fashion my timing is a bit ropey on the twiddly section, but being a noodle a second take didn't seem appropriate :D

[media]http://youtu.be/A4DQc19MiyQ[/media]

Having kicked things off for another month l'm looking forward to seeing / hearing what you chaps are working on :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1493628488' post='3289456']
A new Month it is, so time for a new noodle... :)

Been messing around with ways of recording better videos, I'm slowly getting there but this was a bit of a test run really. I've had a go at recording the audio direct for better quality. I've also realised I need to come up with a way of starting / ending these better so its not quite so abrupt. :blink:

I've bought a simple ABY box to split the signal from my bass, taking a line to my amp (so I can hear what I'm doing) and another line to my little Boss BR80 recorder. I then lined them up in iMovie.

Anyway on with the noodle... Used a looper for this one which I know is a bit cheeky as it's not strictly naked bass as it were but ah well... just this once :) Each part is layered as I play it and nothing is pre-recorded so I don't feel too bad about it... also in traditional noodle fashion my timing is a bit ropey on the twiddly section, but being a noodle a second take didn't seem appropriate :D

[media]http://youtu.be/A4DQc19MiyQ[/media]

Having kicked things off for another month l'm looking forward to seeing / hearing what you chaps are working on :)
[/quote]

Lovely stuff. Nice use of the Looper. I think Looper tracks are fine. Probably should of been allowed in the older style noodle bar lol.

One thing I noticed is the end section when you played a little harder and faster at approx 47 seconds, the notes seemed a bit clanky rather than ringing out. Very low action?

I will record a noodle in the next few days. Also will re record my last noodle which I deleted (by accident).

Ok here's mine. Sorry for the bad camera work.
My basses action is very very low atm so its a bit noisey the strings clank a bit. Most of that is actually the bass acoustically itself, rather than what's coming out the amp. I sort of like it and sort of don't at the same time lol.

http://youtu.be/Df_cfnz067M

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1493907264' post='3291736']
Ok here's mine. Sorry for the bad camera work.
My basses action is very very low atm so its a bit noisey the strings clank a bit. Most of that is actually the bass acoustically itself, rather than what's coming out the amp. I sort of like it and sort of don't at the same time lol.

http://youtu.be/Df_cfnz067M
[/quote]

Nice :)

I think your bass sounds great, new strings?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1493926416' post='3291945']

Nice :)

I think your bass sounds great, new strings?
[/quote]

New(ish) E string. Older one was a bit noisy, had a very pronounced rattle. But I had a E of the same brand and gauge kicking around that sounded a bit better. Cut for a through body fender mustang thankfully it fitted.
Back to flats soon, although I've been enjoying rounds.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1493946199' post='3292102']
Back to flats soon, although I've been enjoying rounds.
[/quote]

Different strings for different basses I find... I love flats on a P bass but can't imagine my Wal with anything other than rounds... it's got to be rounds on a fretless for me too.

I'll be out of action for a while very shortly, so I thought I'd get this done whilst I can. Here's a Casady-inspired riff that I use for keeping my fingers from seizing up (s'not working that well this evening..! :blush: ). As video seems to be the latest fad, I've shot this with my webcam, one take, no edits (as you'll see..!) directly into VideoPad from my armchair, using our Cort fiver, MM p/up, tones centred. The audio track is raw Reaper, rendered then added to the video. Another one for the Noodle Pot; enjoy.

[media]http://youtu.be/otIbrupHj40[/media]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1494198929' post='3293992']
I'll be out of action for a while very shortly, so I thought I'd get this done whilst I can. Here's a Casady-inspired riff that I use for keeping my fingers from seizing up (s'not working that well this evening..! :blush: ). As video seems to be the latest fad, I've shot this with my webcam, one take, no edits (as you'll see..!) directly into VideoPad from my armchair, using our Cort fiver, MM p/up, tones centred. The audio track is raw Reaper, rendered then added to the video. Another one for the Noodle Pot; enjoy.

[media]http://youtu.be/otIbrupHj40[/media]
[/quote]

Great stuff dad... I like the little riff at around 1.05 you run around a couple of times... could hang a tune on than :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1494349799' post='3295262']...could hang a tune on than :)
[/quote]

Yes, maybe... :D

This is The Master doing it properly...

http://youtu.be/ltyjNjsz8UU

Edited by Dad3353