Why become a member? ×

Aerodyne jazz pros and cons. Let me know please.

julesb

I love a jazz body with P/J setup and was just wondering about how these might be different to other variants on this theme. I.E. Does the basswood body give it a completely different tone?

Looks wise I much prefer the non export colours to the all black even though that still looks cool.

Any thoughts appreciated and thanks in advance.

The effect of different timbers on the tone of a solid electric guitar/bass is negligible (imho, of course... ). If you like the look of it (they are a nice looking bass), you need to play a few and see if it suits. Our opinions are of little use, really as we're probably not looking for what you are. The couple I've tried were strung with rounds, which made them sound pretty clangy, which I don't like. I reckon Chromes (my favourite strings for a J bass) would suit it very well - versatile with plenty of snap if needed.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1491409876' post='3272832']
Our opinions are of little use
[/quote]

Hey, you're selling yourself short! I know what you mean but I was just looking for things that owners particularly like/dislike that you can only get from long term ownership. They seem to be a great solution to me but until I get chance to try one I thought I'd see what you guys think.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1491410004' post='3272834']
You need to play one to make sure you can live with the sharper edges as compared to the more traditional J bass.
[/quote]

That's what I'm talking about. I would never have guessed the edges were sharp.

Edited by julesb

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1491409876' post='3272832']
The effect of different timbers on the tone of a solid electric guitar/bass is negligible
[/quote]
Uh oh, here we go - can of worms time. I think I'll just sit back and watch this from a safe distance!

ive got one, mines one of the japanese ones with the scratchplate and really nice binding.

i have a beautiful sandblasted jazz and a nice mexican precision, but my aerodyne is my weapon of choice. i don't give two shits what the wood is, it's just a great bass.

it is really versatile. i've used it in rock bands, metal bands and a blues trio, and the tone choice i can get out of it is lovely. it has a really smooth tone to it if you want it, but it has a really aggressive tone if played right. the shape and feel may not be to taste, so i would recommend trying one, but i certainly don't regret buying mine and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1491410004' post='3272834']
You need to play one to make sure you can live with the sharper edges as compared to the more traditional J bass.
[/quote]

Agreed ^^^
Nice basses, usual Japanese high build quality and finish and most importantly (for me anyway ) they don't weigh a ton.
However, the sharper edges aren't for everyone, so as already posted you do need to try one to ensure your
style / playing position isn't compromised.
Incidentally, still kick myself over missing a gorgeous blue Aerodyne Precision a few years ago, which IIRC
suffered from the same sharp edge / lack of contouring.
Good luck!

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1491433326' post='3273086']
Incidentally, still kick myself over missing a gorgeous blue Aerodyne Precision a few years ago, which IIRC
suffered from the same sharp edge / lack of contouring.

[/quote]

There is one on eBay at the moment, Pete, though not blue. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Aerodyne-Bass-Guitar-/232292742299?hash=item3615b9f49b:g:aiwAAOSwol5Y48CZ"]http://www.ebay.co.u...iwAAOSwol5Y48CZ[/url]

Edited by Paul S

I have one and can say, it's a lovely bass. You can change the sound quite a lot, so to say it's clancky, is misleading. It feels great, the neck is lovely and it just looks gorgeous!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1491466554' post='3273190']
I have one and can say, it's a lovely bass. You can change the sound quite a lot, so to say it's clancky, is misleading. It feels great, the neck is lovely and it just looks gorgeous!
[/quote]

Read my post again. I wouldn't disagree about the fact that they are a fine, nice looking instrument. I said I thought rounds made the couple I've played sound clangy (as they do to any bass, imho). It was my opinion, but not "misleading". I'm someone who turns his tweeter off and likes flats. Just the way I am. I have quite extended high frequency hearing - can still hear bats - so maybe just my quirk.

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1491466857' post='3273193']
FWIW, There is a blue Aerodyne Jazz in my local music shop. Never seen it in blue but it is stunning. See here: [url="http://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/fender-fsr-aerodyne-jazz-bass-lake-placid-blue-pre-owned"]http://www.kennysmus...-blue-pre-owned[/url]

I remember lusting after one when Duff McKagan started using them in Velvet Revolver.
[/quote]

That is a lovely colour!

I have a red one for about 10 years. Love it. The jazz pickup is relatively noisy and weedy though so I'd change that. When playing bass pickup alone it definitely doesn't have as much girth as a normal pbass has. However the size, the neck, the playability and looks make up for it.

[quote name='Elfrasho' timestamp='1491485141' post='3273414']The jazz pickup is relatively noisy and weedy though so I'd change that. When playing bass pickup alone it definitely doesn't have as much girth as a normal pbass has.
[/quote]

That doesn't sound great... :huh:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1491485480' post='3273416']

That doesn't sound great... :huh:
[/quote]

Yeah... but they sound good together. Plus... I only recently changed the j pickup so it couldn't really uqve been that bad.

Plus it sounds and plays great so it's worth it. My point was dont buy it if you want it to sound just like a pbass.

Edited by Elfrasho