Why become a member? ×

Navarone.45-43"multiscale headless

Saved

Its a litle bit complicated.

Years ago,i was looking for the perfect sounding B bass (i mean the bass with clear and strong B string)

I discovered that i need longer scale.

Then i build my first bass.A 40" fretless 6-string.

Then i realize that fretless basses are nice (i already had a 34" fretless) but they need to much attention when you playing.So, i decide to build a freted 40" scale.

I aslo always wanted a p-bass with mudbucker pickup.

The problem isthere is no mudbucker for 5-strings.So i build this p-bass tuned F#,B,E,A.

It also has a piezo bridge.

Then i saw that D and G strings are more useful than F#,but for me B is even more useful than D and G.

So i decide to build a 5-string.

But,because building basses is a never ending circle,and i knew after this i wanted to build a multiscale.

Now.I find playing my 40" easy.

So the multiscale will be 43-40" but then (2yearsago)people saying that kalium will build 43-40" basses.

I dont wanted people to say that i build this scale because of kalium.

I decide to go 34"+5 frets.

This is 44.75 scale length.But i weanted it multiscale,so 48-45 will be fine.Neil from newtone strings is winding my 40" strings.I asked him how much is the longest he could wind and said 50".

That means that i need to go headless if i go so big scale,and i need it torzal to be playable easy.

The blanks i had (maple and wenge) was 135cm.

So i did it 47-44.

Now,the .110 E string,will be tuned as B because the extra 5 frets of lenght.

So,a thiner,longer,more flexible B string will sound beter.

Thats the story behind the bass of navarone..

Edit.I found a luthier who builds pianos (upright and grand pianos)

He also winds strings,so maybe one day i will build an EUB longer than 50" just for the joy of the build

Edited by Saved
  • Like 2

Neil is a greate guy.I would like to met him in person.We are talking only through e-mails.Always here to try new things,or to help me find the corect gauge for the pitch i want.First time he build me a 40" .255 string for my fretless bass back in the 2015 and maybe earlier.

It was his first thick and long string.He send it to me in greece free of charge.

I never had problem with his strings,his suport and his service.

I am glad to see him building strings for dingwhalls.He has very big experience and knowledge

• Like 1

The neck is pretty thick.

Is 29mm all the way,because of 2 reasons.

1.the fretboatd is 3ply wenge/maple/wenge 9mm when all the basses have 4mm fretboatd

2.if i go for thiner,i am gonna hit the 8mm carbon rods.

So,9+8=17mm thick only for these two things,when there is basses with 19-20mm thick neck..

If you calculate the sharp angles of endurneck design,there is no way to go for thiner neck

2 hours ago, Saved said:

If you calculate the sharp angles of endurneck design,there is no way to go for thiner neck

I seem to recall on one of the endurneck video clips that a thicker neck was, dare I say it, good for metal.  Joking aside, it seems to suit the more technical players because of the flats on the back of the neck.

Anyone looking for a Jazz neck will be disappointed.  This bass will inspire a LOT of original thinking and some new ideas.

23 minutes ago, Saved said:

The truth is,i like "baseball bat" thick necks.And bexause i like playibg slow groove songs,this is not a problem for me.But i belive that thiner neck are better for walking bass playing style

Perhaps.

No matter what the neck is like, my walking bassline always limps.

Edited by SpondonBassed

• 2 weeks later...