Why become a member? ×

Navarone.45-43"multiscale headless

Saved

Thank you man.
Today i sanded the surface.
Next step the truss rod and carbon rods canal.
Because of the huge scale,i modified the ttuss rod and is 52" long.I have to make ti shorter.
I must find where the 20th fret would be.
The bass will have 21 frets.
Tha carbon rods are 40" long so they will be visibletill the bridge pickup

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[sup]Has the whole world gone completely mad? What is wrong with you lunatics?[/sup]

[sup]Only kidding Saved. Looks good so far. Weird, yes, but pretty good. Best of luck with the rest of the build.[/sup]

[sup]A[/sup]

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo! I like your ambition. I also like that you do extremely long scale bass. I am wanting to go on to a 35inch scale myself. One day I will adapt one from a standard kit.

I missed all of your photos because I came to this thread late. PB (PhotoBuggery?) had already attempted superhighway robbery on their users resulting in broken third party links everywhere. Reading your text has been interesting though. I'll keep an eye on this.

Edited by SpondonBassed

I like to experimenting with unusual things.Some work,some not,some work in their own way.
I am not the first one,nor smarter,supet scientist or anything else.
I have no problem to answer questions and help people.
The difference from 34 to 35 is so tiny,you will never notice it

[quote name='Saved' timestamp='1501935645' post='3348324']
I like to experimenting with unusual things.Some work,some not,some work in their own way.
I am not the first one,nor smarter,supet scientist or anything else.
I have no problem to answer questions and help people.
The difference from 34 to 35 is so tiny,you will never notice it
[/quote]

Maybe. I'd like to be able to string it with standard strings however. It is intended as a trainer for my fingers so that I can play convincingly enough on an extra long scale fretless one day.

I like your style as well as your ambition. Looking forward to seeing some photos of the project.

[quote name='Saved' timestamp='1502518924' post='3351915']
I dont leave it outside.Just working outside so i dont have to clean up
[/quote]

I know. I was being flippant. You're okay, I am well known for it 'round these parts.

Daylight is the best for revealing little details that are difficult to see under artificial light. I'd imagine that you need a lot of room to move around the project too.

The only thing i need,is high quality tools and experience at instrument building.If i had those two litle things,it would be way better.
But never mind.
This supose to be my last build.
But i found a template of an expensive bass i wanted to buy,so,afyer this,i will build one exactly the same,and this should be my last build because i dont have room for many basses,so..

I hear you. The frustration of the creative mind.

It might help to think of your building as a journey. Where you started and where you are now are are two points separated by all of the things that you have learned on one of your life's adventures. With this project I'd say that you are exploring parts where other builders dare not go. Good for you!

That took a lot out of me so I think I'll go for a little lie down.

• 7 months later...

The truth is,this building is going last loooooong time.

The day i have decide to start this building is 26/8/2016..

I have change my mind so many times about what to do in many things like body shape etc but this is the fun.

In greece we say watching and doing,that means,every day you see what you can/like do,and do it.No matter what you have in your mind when you have started

The two canals on each side are made for carbon rod.

i will use a 8mm tube with 4mm hole.I have found that many people using carbon tow because is cheaper and becomes stronger.

The truth is,that carbon rods in necks like this,are overkill.I have build this 40" p-bass

12575h0.jpg

specially designed for down tuning F#,B,E,A

It has 2 common carbon rods and mapla/wenge/maple/wenge/maple neck with 5string neck dimensions,because of the thicker strings,so the string spacing is the same.This bass have VERY stiff neck and i adjust the truss rod to bow the neck,because the force of strings tension is not enough.

So,the navarone will have 80%,wenge neck and this wood i found on wooden floor market and should be at least 10 years old,that means is very dry and hard.

The fretboard will be 3 layer wenge/maple/wenge

2podzrs.jpg

like these on the side look

28rfv6a.jpg

each layer 3mm,so this fretboard will not be easy to bend

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started the body today.I buy something like plywood to experiment about size,shape and wight,and later i will change it with real wood.

In the shop,they called it "plakaz" like plywood but lil bit more expensive and more strengh.

here i design the body shape

1jt7at.jpg

and here is how it would look with the neck

2h4w3yx.jpg

and here is with the real neck,but i didnt have finished its dimensions

2iqms09.jpg

Edited by Saved
  • Like 1