Why become a member? ×

Marshall 412 gas

28mistertee

[quote name='inthedoghouse' timestamp='1492118174' post='3278163']
I was thinking of trying the same in my old Marshall 4x12 guitar cab. What speakers have you got in yours?
[/quote]

I've done this a few times with Marshall angled cabs, but the cab need extra bracing or it really flexes for bass use.. I just screwed some extra 2x2 timber front to back between the speakers.. Speakers were usually Eminence or Celestion PA/general purpose drivers..

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1492129757' post='3278216']
They're Eminence SO2012's. There's an appreciable roll off of the high end, which is what I was looking for, and a pretty shy low end, either from the speakers or more likely the small, sealed cab design, but again, that's what I was after. Four of them ain't cheap, but the notable limitations of the cab as a system fit with what I was aiming for pretty well, that being a fairly 70's rock bass sound.

Worth noting that I added extra bracing and wadding to the cab, too.

Edit: ...as mentioned by chevy-stu while I was typing!
[/quote]
Many thanks for going into such detail - pretty much all I needed to know. I would expect the low end drop off, but the sound you describe is somthing I'd like to try out (again) too. I do wonder though if it might be cheaper just to buy a used Marshall bass cab, because as you say, those speakers aren't cheap. But space becomes a consideration then. Hmmmmm .....

Thanks again :)