Why become a member? ×

410 cabs expensive vs/or cheaper?

SH73

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1491245845' post='3271565']

Now you talking. How could I justify that in living room?
[/quote]

Same way as I'm justifying this in mine 😄

[URL=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/timev/media/20170331_190749_zpssztodzn3.jpg.html][IMG]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii166/timev/20170331_190749_zpssztodzn3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I wouldn't claim to be any expert but my Ampeg PF-410 HLF was a wise decision. I even did a 0% finance deal so it was a down payment of £48 and then monthly payments of £30. The side handles make it seem lighter than it really is and it suits the rest of my rig. [/font][/color]

• 1 month later...

One of my favourite inexpensive 4x10s is the Peavey TVX410. Super heavy but I've seen them for sale used between £50 - £100. They're not too boomy in the lows, not too muted or too harsh in the upper range like a lot that I've tried tend to be. My favourite of all time though is the Markbass CL104 that I have had for a number of years. It's all of the above but much more present in the mids, again without being too harsh or "honky". Bonus points for being light. Also it looks lovely, unlike the ugly yellow speakers in their current cab range. Cost me £350 used... Very hard to find though!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1494122496' post='3293445']
Yep, one of my fave sounding cabs, just a shame they weigh the same as a small/medium sized planet.
[/quote]

The Peavey 8x10s are something else, too. The rehearsal rooms I use has a couple and the sound is spectacular. You couldn't really carry them around though.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1491218936' post='3271247']
Hopefully the title is not misleading again! I'm hoping to get a 410 cab one day and have been looking online for something that looks tasty and reasonable priced.
Currently I use 100w 115 Fender Rumble and I find the sound and performance satisfying.
Now, I like both barefaced and ampeg 410 but barefaced is nearly twice as expensive as the ampeg but ampeg has been around donkeys years. How do you guys choose your cab?I don't gig but from aesthetical point of view I GAS for a 410.
[/quote]

My first 410 was a Peavey TX that I bought used for £70. It looked used, but that thing did the job very well. It also weighed a ton. Loading/unloading by myself including stairs... was not a lot of fun, especially at the end of a long night. But if it's going to be static, you can find them in cosmetically good condition for around £100, if you're looking for something built for business that will not cost much.

I tend to choose with a budget in mind. That's why I bought the Peavey: I needed something that would be loud and sound reasonably well with a limited budget. Later on I could spend more and went for lighter/smaller modular solutions, because I end up carrying those things a lot, and meanwhile aiming to get a sound that makes me smile. It takes a lot of trial and error. The good news is there are a lot of 410 cabs in all prices and with very different sounds... the bad news is, there are a lot of 410 cabs out there etc etc ;)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1494405555' post='3295615']
Bizarre that the bass world was so 'anti-4x10' for so long, now they are making a comeback.
[/quote]

I don't think the 410 cab has ever been unpopular

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1494363193' post='3295439']
My first 410 was a Peavey TX that I bought used for £70.
[/quote]

Yep you and 50% of the world bass playing population. Peavey are pretty much single highhandedly responsible for making 10 loaded bass cabs a "thing" back in the early 90s, I remember buying my first 4x10 (a tx natch) for something like £115 new I was just dumb founded at the sheer value for money.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1495241315' post='3302452']

Yep you and 50% of the world bass playing population. Peavey are pretty much single highhandedly responsible for making 10 loaded bass cabs a "thing" back in the early 90s, I remember buying my first 4x10 (a tx natch) for something like £115 new I was just dumb founded at the sheer value for money.
[/quote]

They did, although it has to be said that Trace Elliot were probably responsible in the UK for the popularity
of the 4x10 primarily. Peavey , as you rightly point out, were just such better value for money though, and
were (are?) frequently ignored by the gear elite who wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Also, they made
both 8 and 4 ohm models unlike most other manufacturers.
For people who thought them unhip, the Peavey logo was easily removable from the grille, leaving just a very
useful looking (heavy) black box. Bang for the buck doesn't get much better than a 410TX.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1491220210' post='3271272']
never one to question the master ;) but..my Ampeg 410 HLF doesn't struggle with mt SVT-CL (I had a Warwick 410 that did)
[/quote]

I considered the Ampeg 410 to match my SVT4 Pro head and after a lot of research i thought the HLF was the cab to go for if its Ampeg.
Have you considered the Ornage 410. I bought the Orange OBC115 and was fair impressed and the 410 gets good reviews too.

I did try a Markbass 410 in Guitar Guitar and it was mighty impressive and lightweight too.

From my little experience in 410 trials in various studios and shops and listening to friends who have the Ampeg 410HLF i would say go with the 410HLF cab as its got a nice mid range sound but still produces a lot of low down depth.
A lot of 410 cabs i've tried had a nice clean mid to hi end but they lacked that low depth or bass end that for me fills a room.
That's not to everyone's taste and depends on what style of music you are playing.
I reckon you should try somewhere before buying whether in shops or friends who might have the cabs.
I've no idea what a barefaced sounds like. I don't see a lot of them up here.

As you can see from my signature i have a variety of cabs. Markbass for easy handling, Orange for depth and lower end and Bergantino just does it all very clearly but is a very heavy cab to humph around.

Horses for courses as they say but def try before you buy.

Dave