Why become a member? ×

Found out my new bass was made in 2012 !

solomoto

This is the bass I bought. I plan to keep it as it feels great and the specs on the site match the bass and the 2016 models.
I have no malice against the shop I was just unsure of the usual time line.
Thanks for the replies
Ian

https://www.wembleymusiccentre.com/fender-american-standard-precision-bass-3-tone-sunburst-maple-neck.html

[quote name='solomoto' timestamp='1491156633' post='3270904']
This is the bass I bought. I plan to keep it as it feels great and the specs on the site match the bass and the 2016 models.
I have no malice against the shop I was just unsure of the usual time line.
Thanks for the replies
Ian

https://www.wembleymusiccentre.com/fender-american-standard-precision-bass-3-tone-sunburst-maple-neck.html
[/quote]

I got my 2015 US Jazz from them last year, and a guitar amp once, nice guys every time I've been in.

Just email or call fender uk if you're not sure, peace of mind and all that of you need it.

Didn't they have it listed at £999? Great deal either way ;)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1491159615' post='3270940']
I think that this is what they call a first world problem.
[/quote]

True but we live in the first world. I don't think that the op was suggesting that his bass being older than he thought, was more important than Boko Harem abducting twenty girls, or there being a draught in parts of Africa.

We wouldn't be able to discuss much here on a bass forum if we only stuck to non " first world problems". :)

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1491166172' post='3271001']

True but we live in the first world. I don't think that the op was suggesting that his bass being older than he thought, was more important than Boko Harem abducting twenty girls, or there being a draught in parts of Africa.

We wouldn't be able to discuss much here on a bass forum if we only stuck to non " first world problems". :)
[/quote]

I now have visions of comic relief shipping lorry loads of fluffy, snake shaped draught-excluders out to Somalia.

It would only bother me if I wanted the up to date version, and was getting the previous, as in passing off the 2012 as the new Professional series. As long as that`s not the case then whatever it was always going to be at least 6 months old, if not more (tho 5 years is a tad strange, tho stock movement etc is a strange one anyway, not always first in first out with some companies).

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1491167623' post='3271018']
I now have visions of comic relief shipping lorry loads of fluffy, snake shaped draught-excluders out to Somalia.
[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ...the joys of posting after a nice bottle of red! ( another first world problem ;) ....that's not meant as a dig Bilbo ...it was a jest at my own expense) :gas:

I don't think I will edit my post ....it's quite a nice typo!

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1491168339' post='3271028']

Ha ha ha ha ...the joys of posting after a nice bottle of red! ( another first world problem ;) ....that's not meant as a dig Bilbo ...it was a jest at my own expense) :gas:

I don't think I will edit my post ....it's quite a nice typo!
[/quote]

:lol:

I bought my bass from Bass Direct about 3 years ago. I have no idea how long it had been there. I look at the selection from time to time, and there is still a Mike Lull bass for sale that I had looked at. Maybe being left handed, it makes the chances of it hanging around a lot longer. It wouldn't bother me buying it new.

If you've just bought a brand new 5 year old bass and don't feel comfortable with that then take it back. I think it's reasonable to expect that a new bass isn't [i]that[/i] old.

I would buy a bass based on it's spec and condition. For me the age is only a consideration in conjunction with these criteria.

Conversely I recently acquired a 3TSB/Maple Squier VM Precision V that was described as NOS in all but words. I had thought this particular series was discontinued a few years ago but the bass I bought turns out to have been manufactured in 2016.

On the topic of Road worn :) I bought mine NEW last year from a local shop (got a great deal as they were finishing their Fender dealership and the bass had been knocking about the place for ages) When I checked the serial it was from 2009-2010 :) Not dissapointed at all.

I raised an eyebrow yesterday, when trying a Fender in a shop. The guy told me he'd only had it in on Thursday and that I was the first to ask to try it out. Checked the serial and it was a 2015. I guess from the above it's not uncommon. Based on how he said it though, I was expecting it to have at least a 2016 serial. Could be that it's been round a couple of the different stores that this particular chain have in the country...

A couple of questions raised by this situation:

The neck may have been made in 2012 but the bass put together at a later date. Bass need to be disassembled to check for neck pocket / pickup cavity stamps to check for real build date.

Bass may have been made in 2012 in odd colour and sent back to factory for reassembly at a later date. Again, check body stamps.

Bass may have really been put together in 2012 and stored in stock until this year. It's a big plus IMO as you're sure that the construction is stable and the neck won't move any more. Frets and other hardware bits should show signs of oxidation after so many years standing still.

If the bass is stable, sounds good, feels good and OP isn't thinking about selling it any time soon then it's a keeper, regardless of it's history.

I really wouldn't worry about it, the American Standards are discontinued so this is all the various warehouses emptying out the last of their stock it doesn't mean it's been sat in a shop with other people's greasy hands all over it all that time. They're great basses so as long as you're happy with it & it wasn't damaged then I'd keep it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1491167920' post='3271021']
It would only bother me if I wanted the up to date version, and was getting the previous, as in passing off the 2012 as the new Professional series. As long as that`s not the case then whatever it was always going to be at least 6 months old, if not more (tho 5 years is a tad strange, tho stock movement etc is a strange one anyway, not always first in first out with some companies).
[/quote]

This.

Was it sold as new in the "2016/17 model" sense? In which case you might reasonably have a case to go back to the shop. But if it was sold as new in the "you're the first person to own it" sense then I don't think anybody's done anything wrong here.