Why become a member? ×

Found out my new bass was made in 2012 !

solomoto

Hi all.

Just bought myself a new Fender American Standard bass which was delivered on Friday. I am more than happy with the bass, but after running the serial number I have found out it was made in 2012 !
Just wondering what some of your thoughts might be.
Thanks
Ian

I bought my MIJ Fender p in (I think!) 1994,possibly early 1995.

When I checked the serial number it showed that it was made in 1989.

I just assumed that it had been "in stock" at various places, the factory, the warehouse, the shop I bought it from.

It might be more common than you would think.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1491134228' post='3270705']
Does this bother you? If so I would ask for an actual new bass. As fair enough old stock etc but 2012 is a bit too much imo.
I mean it could also effect its value if you chose to sell it on also.
[/quote]

It could increase it! 2012 is seen as a good year these days, I'd keep it if it's nice.

Personally, I'd be quite happy with that as long as it was new/NOS. It would be preferable (for me) to have that rather than shelling out hundreds more for a new pro model... with the weird high frets.
On the other hand, if you wake up at 3 in the morning fretting about it, I'd see if you can get your money back.

Edit... sorry about the "fretting" comment, it was unintentional.

Edited by Trueno

Thanks for the replies, I am keeping it, it's what I wanted. It is/was new when it arrived, all tags and bits in the case that came with it.
It also does not keep me awake at night. Just wondering if anyone has had the same thing, or if you are in line for one of the last replaced models and it might bother you then check :)
👍

It's not a different (lower) spec from a version built in the current year is it? I'd be annoyed if it was and I'd paid thinking I was getting a current spec model. If there is no difference then I'd not be worried. The year of manufacture probably never crossed the mind of the supplying retailer.

Don't Fender change their specs year on year, however minor? I'm sure they have used different pickups since 2012 on the standard.

Personally I would send it back, although I guess they have done nothing wrong unless they advertised the current specs e.t.c.

EDIT I should say on the proviso the bass is just 'ok'. Appreciating Fender QC, if its a good one then keep it if the spec is the same!

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1491134228' post='3270705']
Does this bother you? If so I would ask for an actual new bass. As fair enough old stock etc but 2012 is a bit too much imo.
I mean it could also effect its value if you chose to sell it on also.
[/quote]

I wouldn't have thought the OP would have any grounds to do this (even if he did want to). After all it isn't as if a Fender has a Best Before date, and if it did it would be 1965 :ph34r:

This happened to me too. I bought one in late 2015, but it has a 2012 serial. Furthermore it's in a colour which was only available for 2013.

With Fender, the serial number only dates the neck; it doesn't tell you when the guitar was actually put together. It could have then spent a while at a distributor, and at the dealer before finally being sold.

It's not concerned me at all. I think the value of any post 2012 American Standard would be based more on condition than age.

Edited by pineweasel

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1491142430' post='3270772']
Trouble is if in six months time OP decides that it's not for him, he'll be selling a five year old bass. I'd be interested to know where it was ordered from?
[/quote]

And at what price!

American Standards are not the current range anyway, so anyone buying an American Standard now is essentially buying NOS anyway. ;)

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1491144775' post='3270791']
This happened to me too. I bought one in late 2015, but it has a 2012 serial. Furthermore it's in a colour which was only available for 2013.

With Fender, the serial number only dates the neck; it doesn't tell you when the guitar was actually put together. It could have then spent a while at a distributor, and at the dealer before finally being sold.

It's not concerned me at all. I think the value of any post 2012 American Standard would be based more on condition than age.
[/quote]

This is true however I've only seen neck 1 or maybe 2 years older than when it was assembled together. As they sometimes but not always have that info on the bottom of the neck I've noticed.

How much did you pay? The last of the American Standards are being blown out for bargain prices due to the new American Professional line, so hope you didn't pay full price.

I don't see a problem with it though... the specs are the same as the last 2016 version. Is a shop supposed to get rid of all their old stock annually in case it goes it out date?

I bought a new EBMM Stingray from PMT in January 2016. I sent the serial number to the Ernie Ball forum to obtain it's 'birthday' and was informed that it was completed and shipped to the UK distributor in April 2010. I guess it's been hanging around a warehouse all that tine. I'll admit I was a bit surprised by the space between the bass being shipped and me buying it as a 'new' instrument, but does it really matter to me? No.