Why become a member? ×

April Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1492695546' post='3282431']
I re recorded the bass and re mastered the song (see the link above) tried to get the best balance, and NO I won`t turn the bass down anymore, I am a bass player and this is a bass forum :on_the_quiet:
[/quote]

Don't mind me, I'm a drummer and I like to hear a nice, clear bass drum..! :P It's a shame, as what I hear is a fine composition, well played, but truly spoiled by that infernal 'clucking', as if someone is going 'Tut..! Tut..!' over the 'hard' passage. Still, as I said before, if that's your 'style', that's your 'style'. Don't mind me; I'm a drummer. :blush:

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1492628439' post='3281845']
I've just listened to it on the phone and the bass is rather clicky which is the way I like it. I might re master the song if I get a chance. Do you thinknow the kick drum has too much high top end?
[/quote]

I have listened to the track and the kick is fine , The click is defo the bass hit hard, and if thats what you like then its fine :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1492702252' post='3282544']

Don't mind me, I'm a drummer and I like to hear a nice, clear bass drum..! :P It's a shame, as what I hear is a fine composition, well played, but truly spoiled by that infernal 'clucking', as if someone is going 'Tut..! Tut..!' over the 'hard' passage. Still, as I said before, if that's your 'style', that's your 'style'. Don't mind me; I'm a drummer. :blush:
[/quote]
Thanks for your criticism. I've tried my best to master it and I think it sounds better than the first version unfortunately I can't change the way I play bass. I even re recorded the bass and went easy on the strings.

Finished mine. I've tried to mix soft sounds with aggressive tones to try & get the feel of being in amongst the buildings.
From the outset you get the first explosion & then what comes after. Then another explosion & the waiting for things to hit you, the fear builds & then boom. All hell breaks loose.
Well, that's what I've tried for. Not sure if you'll see the same. But I've had fun making it. :D

https://soundcloud.com/gxmix/ending

:hi:

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1492714803' post='3282691']...unfortunately I can't change the way I play bass. I even re recorded the bass and went easy on the strings.[/quote]

If you want to reduce the 'click' of the bass, try:[list]
[*]Adding a Low Pass Filter (LPF) to the bass track and sweep it down through the frequency range, from high to low. You might find a point at which you can deaden the click without taking too much away from the bass tone itself.
[/list][list]
[*]If that doesn't work... use an parametric EQ - one that has a 'Q' setting. Start by adjusting the Q to around 6 or so; add a boost of say +6db and sweep the EQ frequency up and down until you hear the click sound getting louder. What you're trying to do here is work out roughly where the click sound is sitting in the frequency range. Play with the Q setting and level boost until the click sounds the loudest/ most irritating. Then apply a level cut at that frequency using relatively high Q setting (known as a 'notch'). This might allow you to reduce the level of the click without affecting too much of the frequencies around it.
[/list][list]
[*]Adding some mild distortion/ saturation can also help to disguise a clicky bass (this is also a good trick for helping a bass cut through a busy mix).
[/list][list]
[*]Don't sweat it! I didn't really focus on the click sound when I first had a listen. The trouble with learning to mix is that it can also somewhat ruin your enjoyment of casual listening... life is full of trade-offs ;)
[/list]

Edited by Skol303

I'm going to be awaybefore the deadline so I've slapped this together. I'm really not happy, as this has evolved so far from my original idea - i was going to get all angsty, but i feel i've had the stuffing knocked out of me this week.
Oh, and Dad3353, this time i really should sack the drummer (and everyone else on this session!)

https://soundcloud.com/julian-moss-511168525/acceptance-of-the-doom

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1492784609' post='3283229']

If you want to reduce the 'click' of the bass, try:[list]
[*]Adding a Low Pass Filter (LPF) to the bass track and sweep it down through the frequency range, from high to low. You might find a point at which you can deaden the click without taking too much away from the bass tone itself.
[/list][list]
[*]If that doesn't work... use an parametric EQ - one that has a 'Q' setting. Start by adjusting the Q to around 6 or so; add a boost of say +6db and sweep the EQ frequency up and down until you hear the click sound getting louder. What you're trying to do here is work out roughly where the click sound is sitting in the frequency range. Play with the Q setting and level boost until the click sounds the loudest/ most irritating. Then apply a level cut at that frequency using relatively high Q setting (known as a 'notch'). This might allow you to reduce the level of the click without affecting too much of the frequencies around it.
[/list][list]
[*]Adding some mild distortion/ saturation can also help to disguise a clicky bass (this is also a good trick for helping a bass cut through a busy mix).
[/list][list]
[*]Don't sweat it! I didn't really focus on the click sound when I first had a listen. The trouble with learning to mix is that it can also somewhat ruin your enjoyment of casual listening... life is full of trade-offs ;)
[/list]
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I added a bit of distortion during recording to help cut through. The issue I see with mixing is that bass might sound good with drums but not guitars. When I the adjust the EQ to sit with guitars it then doesn't sit with drums. Etc.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1492793947' post='3283320']...
Oh, and Dad3353, this time i really should sack the drummer (and everyone else on this session!)...
[/quote]

Indeed not..! The very essence of 'authentic'..! Sounds like me on a good day, so thumb is up, and not only for the drumming. :i-m_so_happy:

If I get time tomorrow night I'll try to do something more interesting for the tune, but I doubt I'll feel like it after a late night tonight in Paignton (gig) then driving back to Oxfordshire.
Thanks for the kind words, I think it's so useless I was going to take it down to stop wasting everyone's time. At least there won't be anything much like it this month. With good reason!