Why become a member? ×

April Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

I started off with 1 line - "Death From Above", and a slightly Phrygian bassline. Then the guitarist from my newly formed band came round, we had a fiddle and somehow it became our eponymous debut song. As we don't have a singer, and our drummer was on his hols, all those bits are down to me (I have to do everything, me!). So I spose it counts as an entry to the compocompo as that was the initial inspiration!
And can I just apologise to those who think there's rude words in it, there isn't though it's a touch suggestive if you can hear it. It's just my diction is poor! And I'll apologise to everyone else because of the racket...

Track remixed - look into the future for link!

Edited by Leonard Smalls

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1492185756' post='3278575']
I started off with 1 line - "Death From Above", and a slightly Phrygian bassline. Then the guitarist from my newly formed band came round, we had a fiddle and somehow it became our eponymous debut song. As we don't have a singer, and our drummer was on his hols, all those bits are down to me (I have to do everything, me!). So I spose it counts as an entry to the compocompo as that was the initial inspiration!
And can I just apologise to those who think there's rude words in it, there isn't though it's a touch suggestive if you can hear it. It's just my diction is poor! And I'll apologise to everyone else because of the racket...
[url="http://soundcloud.com/leonard-smalls/16-choke-start"]http://soundcloud.co.../16-choke-start[/url]
[/quote]
Great stuff as usual Leonard, got more than a little Primus vibe to that.
The mix sounds a little wonky though, the guitar and drums aren't quite integrated with the vocals, or something. Just rambling, a bottle of Cloudy Bay to the good... hic!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1492206122' post='3278740']

Great stuff as usual Leonard, got more than a little Primus vibe to that.
[/quote]
Cheers!
And you're right... The mix sounds much wonkier on small speakers than it did on my monitors - and it's worst at the beginning.
I think I was too keen to get it out! Still, our drummer's back from hols so maybe I'll re-record using him rather than my own programmes and fiddle with the balance at the same time. Though that's likely to be after the deadline.

Tried to get a dirty grungey sound, trying to capture war and panic. Tried to get a live desperate feel by recording through amps and in one take where possible. As always thanks for listening.

One From The Chamber

https://soundcloud.com/thevelvetknock/one-from-the-chamber-demo

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1492240863' post='3278833']

Cheers!
And you're right... The mix sounds much wonkier on small speakers than it did on my monitors - and it's worst at the beginning.
[/quote]
I get this a lot too, the mix sounds decent on the studio monitors, then you play it on something "inferior" like my home cinema system, and suddenly you hear some right howlers! I need to put some rubbish speakers up in my studio for mix checking, keep meaning to get round to it. Monitors and headphones doesn't cover all bases.

I've found that a good range of speakers can help with mixing. Currently I use (in order of use):[list=1]
[*]Audio Technica M50x headphones
[*]Yamaha HS7 monitors
[*]Tannoy E11 hi-fi speakers via an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card through a Rotel RA930AX amp
[*]Logitech computer speakers - can't remember the model but they're dead cheap, have a stupidly boomy sub and tinny speakers
[*]Juice sound square - a nice little mono speaker with half decent bass
[*]Car hi-fi (Mitsubishi Lancer not that it matters hehe)
[/list]

The picture made me think 'metal' so that's what I did with my song. Its far from perfect (I'm no guitarist!)l and it was meant to have vocals but I ran out of time, so it is what it is. :-)

https://soundcloud.com/rikki-boyes/total-destruct

Edited by Rikki1984

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1492273693' post='3279153']
I get this a lot too, the mix sounds decent on the studio monitors, then you play it on something "inferior" like my home cinema system, and suddenly you hear some right howlers! I need to put some rubbish speakers up in my studio for mix checking, keep meaning to get round to it. Monitors and headphones doesn't cover all bases.
[/quote]

I've remixed it so you can hear the drums...
https://soundcloud.com/leonard-smalls/16-choke-start

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1492282678' post='3279240']
I've found that a good range of speakers can help with mixing.
[/quote]

I use Adam F7 monitors, AKG phones and rubbish Logitech computer speakers, and if I can be bothered to move the laptop, Ditton 66 and Leema Xavier via a Bryston bsst14 amp, which shows any faults down to 18Hz!
However, I'm a bit lazy and rarely spend more than 3 hours mixing and try and do all playing in one take. I sometimes have the old BBC make-do attitude of "it's good enough for sport" though I don't often sink to "it's good enough for news"!

Good to see you all contributing to this month's challange and sharing your experience on mixing/improving your final product. It's a nightmare to mix and master I must admit. Mine sounds good on my headphones but not the best on speakers.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1492417457' post='3279982']...It's a nightmare to mix and master I must admit. Mine sounds good on my headphones but not the best on speakers.
[/quote]

I've said it before, but it might be worth repeating... One can mix with even very modest gear (although there are limits, of course..!) if one uses known pieces from one's own repertoire as reference for the sound one is trying to achieve. A comparison between a 'pro' mix and the 'work in progress' can be made; any lack of fidelity will be common to the two, and so has little effect. I have to admit to having very dodgy ears (wot wiv bein' old an' all...), but use this method to check my efforts. Usually, I find that if I can hear the cymbals, they're too loud..!
Just sayin'; hope this helps...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1492420301' post='3280027']
I've said it before, but it might be worth repeating... One can mix with even very modest gear (although there are limits, of course..!) if one uses known pieces from one's own repertoire as reference for the sound one is trying to achieve. A comparison between a 'pro' mix and the 'work in progress' can be made; any lack of fidelity will be common to the two, and so has little effect. I have to admit to having very dodgy ears (wot wiv bein' old an' all...), but use this method to check my efforts. Usually, I find that if I can hear the cymbals, they're too loud..!
[/quote]

That's very true indeed. All of the advice that I read says to use reference tracks - commercially released songs that match the sound you're looking for. Listen to these on your system, whether it's studio monitors, hi-fi speakers, headphones or whatever. Get used to how they sound on your system and use that to match your track to the reference track.

So, this is what I've got this month. A bit different from what I usually get up to, both in terms of process and result. It's a bit rough around the edges and could have been better with more time spent on it but it goes together with the picture reasonably well :unsure:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/organicpulseensemble/donsplaining-drop-bombs-like-donald"]https://soundcloud.c...mbs-like-donald[/url]

:ph34r:

Edited by Bastav

I'm in
I really enjoyed this , a surprise as it is a bit angry really, I pretty much had it down last night but wanted lurksalittle to do some singing on it.

Unfortunately she couldn't see a line , even though I offered her the whole thing, however , she did re-direct a big part of the focus , it just needed a tiny touch to bring it somewhere like I was hoping for, but she saw it !

Who the hell [url="https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/who-the-hell"]https://soundcloud.c...ot/who-the-hell[/url]

now to do some listening

Ed to add , there are a couple of rude-ish words in there , nothing most youngsters haven't heard mind :lol:

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1492552402' post='3281236']
Me too, muchly. Good Stuff, I'll gladly listen to that again (and again, and again...).
[/quote]

Cheers Douglas, you are too kind, I have had a run through of the entries and they are incredible so far, it really is just as well I don't listen in before I do mine, as I think I would get cold feet every time :D

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1492420301' post='3280027']

[/quote]
In my case it is the bass. Or is it because I want the bass to be heard? Or is it because I'm a bass player.
...are you saying my cymbals are loud?...

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1492586636' post='3281332']
In my case it is the bass. Or is it because I want the bass to be heard? Or is it because I'm a bass player.
...are you saying my cymbals are loud?...
[/quote]

S'easy, really, just play a track that you know and like, in the same genre as your compo, and at the same volume level. Adjust the bass (or middle, or treble...) to match what the reference track sounds like and you're good..! B)
Cymbals..? There are cymbals in there..? I hear a faint 'crash' now and again, so I'd reckon they're mixed about right..! On the other hand, there's a horrible clicking sound spoiling the mix, and I'd add that the bass drum is a tad 'woolly' to me. No big deal, but that clicking is damned irritating. Certainly not voluntary; what is it, making that racket..? :unsure:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1492597756' post='3281464']

S'easy, really, just play a track that you know and like, in the same genre as your compo, and at the same volume level. Adjust the bass (or middle, or treble...) to match what the reference track sounds like and you're good..! B)
Cymbals..? There are cymbals in there..? I hear a faint 'crash' now and again, so I'd reckon they're mixed about right..! On the other hand, there's a horrible clicking sound spoiling the mix, and I'd add that the bass drum is a tad 'woolly' to me. No big deal, but that clicking is damned irritating. Certainly not voluntary; what is it, making that racket..? :unsure:
[/quote]
Thanks for advice. I'll give it a go. That clicking must be me playing bass hard?

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1492603273' post='3281536']...That clicking must be me playing bass hard?
[/quote]

Well, if that's part of your technique and playing style, I suppose there's not much to be done. Maybe others would care to comment..? After all, I'm only a drummer. :blush:

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1492603273' post='3281536']

Thanks for advice. I'll give it a go. That clicking must be me playing bass hard?
[/quote]

I am not sure , but a quick listen on my phone suggests to me the top end fq of the kick , though I can also hear the click of a hard hit bass at a few points, funny though, I didn't pick up that when listening at home last night

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1492610199' post='3281610']

I am not sure , but a quick listen on my phone suggests to me the top end fq of the kick , though I can also hear the click of a hard hit bass at a few points, funny though, I didn't pick up that when listening at home last night
[/quote]
I've just listened to it on the phone and the bass is rather clicky which is the way I like it. I might re master the song if I get a chance. Do you thinknow the kick drum has too much high top end?