Why become a member? ×

New Guitar Day: Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas

Naetharu

Hi Folks,

Thought I would share my new purchase with you. It all started around a week ago when I picked up a new Schecter C1-Stealth. For those not familiar with Schecter gutiars, that's the entry model in their mid-range guitars; a simple looking super-strat with two humbuckers and a hard-tail bridge.

It seems nice in the store, but when I got it home I found it had some really bad fret-buzz. After fiddling with it myself for a while I took it to a guitar tech. They had a quick look at told me that it had a twisted neck, and advised I return it right away.

Well, a bit of an argument with the store followed, with them first trying to tell me that it is normal for a guitar to buzz like a bumble-bee above the 12th fret all the way up. Apparently in their oppinion this is the case even on very expensive custom instruments and I should just lump it. Well, needless to say I pressed on. I was then told that I could not have a new guitar or my money back since I had invalidated the warantee since the tech I took it to had raised some of the bridge saddles. At this point I just wanted rid of the thing; I was going to ask for a new one in exchange but I'll be darned if that store is ever getting my business again when that is the aftercare they offer. I got my cash back in the end, albeit while being insulted by the store manager through the whole process.

Popped along to my local PMT afterward and found this beauty. She's a Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas. To be honest I've never really thought about Charvel before - they're a brand I associated with poodle-perms and tiger-print leggings but it turns out they're now owned by Fender and are making some very nice instruments.

This one is their entry level guitar (though it's very much a mid-range instrument, they don't really do 'entry level' as such) and it just blew me away as soon as I played it. It's bascially a supercharged strat. The body is the classic strat shape with the full carving you get on them. It has two Seymour Duncan pick-ups, a JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. They've also got a coil-split on them for some single-coil tones when needed. It has a zero-load tone pot, so the pot is taken out of the curcuit when fully open. Compound radius fretboard, rolled edges, locking tuners...

Well, it's a bit of a beast anyhow. Now I just need to learn to play the darn thing!

Edited by Naetharu

• 2 weeks later...

That's why I always buy my guitars second hand. Lovely looking guitar by the way. I also love the Charvel so cals, I have a Charvel CH4 MIJ, beautiful guitar and it is so easy to play. Charvels are keepers! You'll find Charvels on 'le bon coin' a French website like gumtree where you'll find looooooads of gear!!