Why become a member? ×

Leg Cramps?

squire5

Just thought I'd put this out.After practically every gig I do,when I get home and go to bed,Its practically guaranteed I'll be woken up in the night with severe cramp in both legs and also my feet.This only happens after a gig.I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem,and if so,how to deal with it?Is it something to do with standing in the one spot for a couple of hours,or the effort of hoofing gear around or what?All I know is that I spent nearly an hour last night from about 4.00am to 5.00 walking about like a zombie trying to ease it.
Anyone else have this problem?

Hydration, proper food - source of vitamins and minerals. Have you tried hydration tablets for athletes? That might be the easiest way to keep you hydrated. Drink that during a gig (workout) and see if it works.
I find these the best: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nectar-fuel-systems-hydro-tabs-20-tabs/
Really nice flavor - not too sweet, doesn't leave an unpleasant aftertaste.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1491043902' post='3270070']
Do you exercise much? I was all bunged up awaiting a sinus op last year and my legs were often cramped. After the op, to celebrate breathing normally, I began exercising again and no leg cramps. Just stretch out a bit at least.
[/quote]
Stretching is a great idea too. Imagine, the gig is done - everyone starts packing up and you start stretching and throw the craziest postures for the audience. Might get another round of applause though.

I usually drink pints of water while I'm onstage as I always drive to gigs.I should add at this stage that I'm no spring chicken (64) so may be I'm getting too old for this malarkey? Nah,never! Last nights gig was on a solid stone floor in a pub,and I had begun to feel the twinges long before we finished,so I knew I'd have trouble later on.Its not your usual calf muscle cramp,but a mixture of lower leg,feet and my big toes curling upwards,( I know)
I've even heard that a banana after a gig is beneficial but I don't know.I'll check out the Lactic acid thing tho',Number6.Thanx.

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1491044130' post='3270075']
Stretching is a great idea too. Imagine, the gig is done - everyone starts packing up and you start stretching and throw the craziest postures for the audience. Might get another round of applause though.
[/quote]

Unfortunately stretching is the one thing guaranteed to bring it on in my case,and to answer another question,no I dont exercise nearly enough.I'm one of the proverbial fat bass players at the back of the stage.

Found this on the er 'other' bass forum.Must try this :huh:

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]There's a doctor who writes an advice column in the Memphis newspaper. Many people who suffer with leg cramps while sleeping have written in extolling the effectiveness of placing a bar of soap near your feet under the covers. [/size][/font][/color]

Mrs Painy is a pharmacy dispenser which means standing for prolonged periods on a hard floor which can often lead to these kinds of problems. In the pharmacy they provide pressure mats (like small rubber gym mats) to stand on which help prevent it.
Bananas may help as a source of potassium.
Your doctor may also be able to prescribe quinine if needed but all the above is generally good advice.

I had trouble with night cramps a few years ago, two things sorted it - wearing socks in bed (even in summer when it's hot) and a spoon of Andrews liver salts in a pint of water before I went to bed. I used to wake up in the most horrendous pain that was almost unbearable. As soon as I tried that I never had a problem again, stopped the liver salts after a week and the socks after a couple of years and it's never come back for me so may be worth a try.

A few years ago I worked nights and was very active on my feet for 10 hours in very hot telephone exchanges.
I suffered terrible in the mornings from cramp and drinking water made things worse as it dilutes your essential salts.
Cure was Isotonic Sports drinks. :) Simples.

64, when I get home at 2:30 from a 4 hour gig my feet feel like their on fire. I'm overall wiped out and colaspe on my bed.

Then , I get up and get ready to do the same thing the next night.

I'm not sure about a remedy for the OP. For me it's deciding when I can no longer do this.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1491075699' post='3270374']
I'll give anything a go if it stops it.But it must be something to do with gigging,as thats the only time it happens,and its starting to put me off,if I'm honest
[/quote]

It might be a case of prevention is better than cure. You are probably tensing up very severely without realising it. Have you checked out the clip I posted in post # 13 ?

I used to get severe leg cramps in the night which would wake me but i would be unable to move ,and although the pain would gradually subside
i would be left with some pain all the next day
I was told by my doctor at the time that it was nothing to do with my varicose veins and related problems
however after i had op to strip veins in both legs the cramps disappeared ,i am careful however not to stretch my legs on waking as
that would often bring cramps on .

Painkillers just before bed were recommended to me as well,but I might as well have taken Smarties,for all the use they were.We dont gig a great deal,perhaps 4-5 times a month,and we dont have roadies or any suchlike luxuries.So, in my case a nights gigging involves:
1-Load up car with gear.
2-Drive to gig.
3-Unload car (with a little help)
4-Play gig,usually 2 hours straight.
5- break down gear
6-Reload car
7-Drive home
8-Collapse in heap.
All these things combined take their toll on someone of my age and fitness,and sometimes I'm tempted to pack it all in,But dammit,I still love gigging.

PS Coilte,when I get a 1/2 hour to myself,I'll watch that clip.