Why become a member? ×

Eich Bass Board

pmjos

I've got one and I love it. I haven't used it live, but should think it would be good fun. Mine lives in the office and paired with a TC BH800 it provides a brilliant 'feel' which I now couldn't be without. I'm in York if you want to try it.

I was next to the Eich stand at the London Bass Show and everyone who tried it fell in love with it.. a really cool piece of kit.

Any Qs let me know

Cheers
ped

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Jamescrazy88 said:

Sorry to jump on the thread but a blunt question now. I'm a fat bloke does it have a weight limit? 

I don’t think so, I’ve seen several people standing on one at once. Perhaps worth an email to Eich but I’d be surprised. I have a fairly heavy chair on mine. 

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

There's a Tecamp version in the classifieds at the mo.

I don't think the technology changed when Thomas Eich split from Tecamp or rebranded or whatever the smeg happened.

Actually I think they have beefed it up a little - mine is an older TecAmp one and the Each ones have some kind of fan or fan looking gubbins on the bottom. Mr Eich told me they are the newest version that is more powerful.

That said, I often find mine too powerful so I can't imagine it being much of an improvement!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ped said:

Actually I think they have beefed it up a little - mine is an older TecAmp one and the Each ones have some kind of fan or fan looking gubbins on the bottom. Mr Eich told me they are the newest version that is more powerful.

That said, I often find mine too powerful so I can't imagine it being much of an improvement!!

The "fan" is the driver. They're just visible in the new version. Look a bit like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unknown-Bodyshaker/dp/B002LQAHPE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524832245&sr=8-4&keywords=bass+shaker

I notice the Eich ones have a headphone output socket on them now.

Still have plans to do a DIY one when time allows...

I have one. It's fantastic. It tricks your brain into thinking your hearing the bass louder so it's great for monitoring. Ideally you need it connected to its own amp otherwise its too powerful in a loud band situation I've found, and hitting a low B feels like your head is going to explode!!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd bump this thread to throw in my two pence on the Eich Bass Board. I had never tried one before but I had a go on @ped's Tecamp board at his house when I was over buying a bass off earlier this week.

I had read about these things previously and thought they sounded interesting but a quick go on one in person had me sold. Playing through Ped's headphone rig was impressive and it adds a level of tactile feedback that you miss if you're not playing through a loud rig. 

I ordereded a small board, which at 23x31.5", still isn't that small. Getting it working was a carry on, as I didn't have a speakon cable long enough to connect it to my Markbass Ninja 1000 and Ninja 2x12 that I use at home. Once I got the cable, I found that running it as an extension to the Ninja didn't work so well, as the vibration power (oo-er) is linked to the amp output, and the Ninja 1000 is so powerful that even at low settings for output, it gets very loud but wasn't driving the board hard enough. 

The solution was to run the board with a dedicated head, handily I had a Little Mark III sitting around, with the signal from the bass going to a splitter pedal. Now I can set my amp volume and board vibration level independently, allowing me to leave the board off, or leaving the Ninja off to run into headphones. 

Be warned if you live in flats, these things are quiet but not silent and they do project noise downwards. The damping in the board is amazing and there are no rattles from the board, but it doesn't need to be working hard to start bass waves into your floor and if you live above someone else you'll drive them nuts. As mentioned by other users, it has way more power than you could need. I run mine on a fairly punchy setting on the ground floor of a semi, I've never had complaints from the neighbours but all the same I'd dial it back for midnight headphone practice. 

I can't comment on live use, I know some users think it's very good for gigs or rehearsals with IEMs if you miss the feeling of the thump from a loud bass amp. I think it would definitely help me. I actually think it helps my timing a little even just playing along with songs at home. 

Is it useful? Probably. Is it fun? Undoubtedly. They are big, they take up a lot of space, they can be a fiddle to set up and expensive to start using, with the (imo virtually compulsory) requirement for a dedicated head to run it, but if you want to feel the bass thumping in your chest like you're playing a loud gig, while sitting in your study in your pyjamas playing at a reasonable volume, you should get one. 

• Like 2

On 27/04/2018 at 13:58, Jamescrazy88 said:

Just seen the Porter and Davis version as well. I'm swaying towards that one now as it has its own power module and seems less rattley than the eich . Their drum stools are incredible.

I have the P&D setup that I use on IEM gigs (no backline). It's awesome, I'd be lost with out it. Brings the fun back on IEM gigs. 

On 07/07/2019 at 01:20, Mastodon2 said:

Just thought I'd bump this thread to throw in my two pence on the Eich Bass Board. I had never tried one before but I had a go on @ped's Tecamp board at his house when I was over buying a bass off earlier this week.

I had read about these things previously and thought they sounded interesting but a quick go on one in person had me sold. Playing through Ped's headphone rig was impressive and it adds a level of tactile feedback that you miss if you're not playing through a loud rig. 

I ordereded a small board, which at 23x31.5", still isn't that small. Getting it working was a carry on, as I didn't have a speakon cable long enough to connect it to my Markbass Ninja 1000 and Ninja 2x12 that I use at home. Once I got the cable, I found that running it as an extension to the Ninja didn't work so well, as the vibration power (oo-er) is linked to the amp output, and the Ninja 1000 is so powerful that even at low settings for output, it gets very loud but wasn't driving the board hard enough. 

The solution was to run the board with a dedicated head, handily I had a Little Mark III sitting around, with the signal from the bass going to a splitter pedal. Now I can set my amp volume and board vibration level independently, allowing me to leave the board off, or leaving the Ninja off to run into headphones. 

Be warned if you live in flats, these things are quiet but not silent and they do project noise downwards. The damping in the board is amazing and there are no rattles from the board, but it doesn't need to be working hard to start bass waves into your floor and if you live above someone else you'll drive them nuts. As mentioned by other users, it has way more power than you could need. I run mine on a fairly punchy setting on the ground floor of a semi, I've never had complaints from the neighbours but all the same I'd dial it back for midnight headphone practice. 

I can't comment on live use, I know some users think it's very good for gigs or rehearsals with IEMs if you miss the feeling of the thump from a loud bass amp. I think it would definitely help me. I actually think it helps my timing a little even just playing along with songs at home. 

Is it useful? Probably. Is it fun? Undoubtedly. They are big, they take up a lot of space, they can be a fiddle to set up and expensive to start using, with the (imo virtually compulsory) requirement for a dedicated head to run it, but if you want to feel the bass thumping in your chest like you're playing a loud gig, while sitting in your study in your pyjamas playing at a reasonable volume, you should get one. 

Glad you went for it!! I've cost you a fair bit of money this month haven't I!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've tried IEMs - I really have - but they're not doing it for me yet. I've tried one of these boards and they are fantastic but I'm not sure how I'd use one live. I normally play via either a Helix or an MXR preamp on my pedal board then straight into the PA. 

Do I really need an amp?

To drive the board, yes. Think of it as an 8ohm speaker. Because you can’t ‘hear’ it then a cheap but powerful head will work. I use a TC BH800 which gives me the option of connecting a cab for monitoring too if I want. 

Ah ha. Right - so Helix (or preamp setup) goes one output to the amp driving the board and the other to the mixer. Presumably then (sorry to be a bit dense) then I have a regular IEM mix but get the sub effect from just the bass.

And that means another amp - preferably cheaper than the T500. Shame fun has to be so expensive!

Wonder if it would be worth getting the kick drum routed to it via a noddy mixer?

Yes I think so, unless you have a PA amp which could feed the board, then EQ that channel for bass and low mids only (which is what I do at home for playing along to music) 

Something like a TE Elf would probably give enough juice to power the board though - mine’s an older one and can’t remember the power handling but don’t think of it in terms of powering a speaker, as you’re standing in it you can feel it easily at low power levels. It’s a bit like placing your finger on a speaker to feel the bass which you otherwise can’t hear, in a car or something. 

• 6 months later...