Why become a member? ×

I go off all my basses.... Occasionally

Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1491030765' post='3269913']
Yes, I too feel some envy for folk who are honestly happy with a single bass. What we don't know, of course, is if those lucky guys are active bassist or if they play simple lines in a band once a week, and never touch it from one week to the next.
[/quote]

Or maybe just can't afford more than one bass.

I don't think I've trully been happy with any bass I've owned.
Oh actually there was one I loved how it played and sounded, the shape and weight was great. And aesthetically it ticked all the right boxes.
Oh course I sold it!

I envy people who can play any bass. I need certain things like a small/thin neck and a little and fairly lightweight body to be happy (I once told a gf that lol). I also get on with certain pu positions. This limits my choice.

I can play any bass and make them work for the song I'm playing....but I love my bass. My only one. In the past
I used to own many, then sold everything I was not fond of. I play my bass every day, for at least a couple of hours. I love every moment I spend with it, it never disappoints me. In the past I tought I needed more basses, now I'm aware I must care about technique and soul, the bass will follow me.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1490995282' post='3269792']
... but not all the time.

I have 5 basses and fall in and out of love with each of them at times. Sometimes I can play them all in an evening and find there's not one that I like much at all.

Am I alone in this? Am I peculiar?
[/quote]what are the five basses?

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1491164496' post='3270982']
what are the five basses?
[/quote]

Corvette 5 string, Bubinga body. 2000
Streamer Stage 1, 4 string 2005
Corvette 4 String 2004
Streamer LX 4 string Fretless 2008
Fender MIM, with Bill Lawrence P-46 pickup and Babizc bridge

I guess I'm progressing towards playing a 5er, but don't want to ditch the 4s. I find the 5s heavy. I did own a Thumb 5 string too, but sold it. The Bubinga Corvette is heavier, but I re-built it from being a wreck. So it comes with a certain degree of sentimental baggage.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1490999593' post='3269836']
Yes. I am exactly the opposite. I love all of mine. So when I realise I have too many and that I should sell some, I pick them up to sell them and realise they are the best thing ever and I would be mad to sell them, so I don't!

Would love to cut down to 5 though :D
[/quote]

This could also describe me! I've owned many more basses, and I've gone around in (an almost complete) circle. But what I have now, I really love each & every bass. I really must sell one or two, just to get down to sensible numbers :)

There are a couple I don't play very much, but when I do, I simply can't bear to part with them. Several of these I know I'd find hard to buy again if I later decided I'd made a mistake in selling them..... I really must sell a couple (at least) but I rack my brains as to which ones, and I really can't come up with an answer lol

If you feel you dislike all your current basses - perhaps it's time for a re-think. What are the specs / details you like about each bass? What do you dislike about each one? - Maybe you need to sell a few, to fund a custom build? A bass that has all the positive features of your current instruments, and hopefully, none of the negative elements

When i find I dislike them it's generally down to the sound. The feel is always fine. I love them all, but sometimes I play them and the tone simply doesn't do it.

I love the look of the Streamer S1. The wood grain has amazing flaming in the maple. It is, without question, the most amazing looking Streamer I've seen. But the tone is generally very clangy. I prefer a deeper tone.

It's probably all in the mind. TBH, as soon as I posted this thread I regretted it and went to bed. And lay there regretting it. It's me being daft. I'm actually amazed that the discussion has got picked up. Thanks, all, but I'll live.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1491205368' post='3271113'] Corvette 5 string, Bubinga body. 2000 Streamer Stage 1, 4 string 2005 Corvette 4 String 2004 Streamer LX 4 string Fretless 2008 Fender MIM, with Bill Lawrence P-46 pickup and Babizc bridge I guess I'm progressing towards playing a 5er, but don't want to ditch the 4s. I find the 5s heavy. I did own a Thumb 5 string too, but sold it. The Bubinga Corvette is heavier, but I re-built it from being a wreck. So it comes with a certain degree of sentimental baggage. [/quote] Maybe you need something a bit different to the Warwicks in the heard a wild card bass so to speak or a tone shaping pedal?

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1491207787' post='3271135']
When i find I dislike them it's generally down to the sound. The feel is always fine. I love them all, but sometimes I play them and the tone simply doesn't do it.
[/quote]

I can understand that - I have had a problem with some of the best guitars. I have sold quite a few basses because although I really liked the bass, but couldn't get the sound I wanted from it. I am now in that position with my ibanezes, I love the 1605, I prefer playing the 805, but I don't gig it because the sound just doesn't do it, now trying to decide if I can justify £200+ on some new pickups for it.

Get some different pickups or a different bass, your basses seem to be a bit monocultrural there!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1491211429' post='3271173']
I can understand that - I have had a problem with some of the best guitars. I have sold quite a few basses because although I really liked the bass, but couldn't get the sound I wanted from it. I am now in that position with my ibanezes, I love the 1605, I prefer playing the 805, but I don't gig it because the sound just doesn't do it, now trying to decide if I can justify £200+ on some new pickups for it.

Get some different pickups or a different bass, your basses seem to be a bit monocultrural there!
[/quote]
To answer your dilemma; I'd change the pups, but keep the old ones so, in the event you sell, you can swap them back. Nobody is going to pay £200 more for a bass because of the pups - as you already know I'm sure. You can then sell the pups separately, or move them to another bass.

On the matter of my basses. I'm probably go to try adding to the herd. But it'll have to wait until May. I'm off on holiday soon and won't be buying anything before I get back. Unless I buy something while I'm away, of course. :D

I do, so happen to know of a great music shop..

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1491227908' post='3271344']
just be happy with what you have, theres plenty of people who cant afford a warwick let alone 4 of them plus a fender
[/quote]
Yes. I know you're right. :blush:

As I have said. I have had regrets about posting.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1491207988' post='3271136']
Maybe you need something a bit different to the Warwicks in the heard a wild card bass so to speak or a tone shaping pedal?
[/quote]

As Paul says, maybe a bit of variety is the answer?
The 4 Warwick's probably share a lot of the same DNA, so although they likely have their differences, they're probably also similar too - depending on your own point of view.

I currently own 5 basses, all of which are different in their own way, some active, some passive, different pickup configurations and tones, some cheap and others expensive. But there's something to cover every mood whether it's my cheap and cheerful passive Peavey zodiac for rocking out or the Glockenlang/Bartolini loaded, through neck Ibanez Soundgear when I want something a bit more civilised.

I'll sometimes favour one over the others for a while, while at other times one gets neglected for months on end until I pick it up again and remember why I bought it in the first place.

We all have off days. My Squier VM Jazz, sometimes I absolutely hate the sound and feel of it, other times it's just right and I'll happily sit there and bang out Rush tunes on it for an hour straight. Same thing with my Ibanez Portamento 5 string; some days it's the best instrument I've ever owned, other days even the Soundgear neck feels too big for my girly sized hands and I don't want to look at the thing. It's almost like Russian roulette with these things at times.

Edited by ForestPoetry

[quote name='ForestPoetry' timestamp='1491243655' post='3271542']
We all have off days. My Squier VM Jazz, sometimes I absolutely hate the sound and feel of it, other times it's just right and I'll happily sit there and bang out Rush tunes on it for an hour straight. Same thing with my Ibanez Portamento 5 string; some days it's the best instrument I've ever owned, other days even the Soundgear neck feels too big for my girly sized hands and I don't want to look at the thing. It's almost like Russian roulette with these things at times.
[/quote]
Many thanks. So, I'm not unique. I am on the lookout for a lighter 5 string. I'm interested in the Marcus Miller M7 5 string. It is a bit new though for finding one "preloved". I might have to dent the bass fund.

I have four basses and I tend to look at I love all of them occasionally. The T-bird is the most "me" but sometimes it is nice to pick up the Hofner or the Precision and have a mess around on them. I certainly don't hate any of them but do default to the main one.

I now have 6 basses, all Precisions, but will be selling one soon. I never go off of any of them - well one I`ve only had for two weeks, and another only picked up this eve - but sometimes I find that they just don`t sound so good. At that point I`ve now realised, the issue is me, not the basses, and I`m just not playing very well at that point, so put whichever one it was down, and wait another day. I default to one for band use only, then alternate between the others at home. And am going to endeavour to try and keep a set of flats on one as played a Precision strung with Chromes this eve and loved it.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1491207787' post='3271135']

I love the look of the Streamer S1. The wood grain has amazing flaming in the maple. It is, without question, the most amazing looking Streamer I've seen. But the tone is generally very clangy. I prefer a deeper tone.

It's probably all in the mind. TBH, as soon as I posted this thread I regretted it and went to bed. And lay there regretting it. It's me being daft. I'm actually amazed that the discussion has got picked up. Thanks, all, but I'll live.
[/quote] been there - done that with a SS1 - bill bartolini is your friend

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1491030765' post='3269913']What we don't know, of course, is if those lucky guys are active bassist or if they play simple lines in a band once a week, and never touch it from one week to the next. [/quote]

I think some people can be happy with passive basses, they don't have to have active ones. Still, it takes all sorts...

Really happy with just the one. Its great. It does everything really well. No complaints. I dont really need another apart from as a back up....................and backup basses are important so I ordered another one from Overwater. Its not GAS its a backup.