Why become a member? ×

Dingwalls

CPBass

Have they all been hidden away for a more valuable time or are they just so good that nobody is parting with theirs. I am talking ABII upwards and Z series, I've been keeping an eye everywhere and they just don't enter the used bass market. There was a time you couldn't move for stunning Warwicks, Dingwalls Roscoes and Mike Lulls.
It's all changed. Anyone else noticed?

I should have fitted a darkglass to mine instead of looking at the Z series. I wanted an active circuit, it even had a wenge neck with oversprayed bubinga top. The Z3 replacement was magnificent but had a coffee table wood top and cost a fortune, Still a magnificent bass. Are you still using the purple one Kev?
I'm just going to have to save a bit more and do the dream order from Sheldon.

Edited by CPBass

[quote name='CPBass' timestamp='1490911397' post='3269086']
I should have fitted a darkglass to mine instead of looking at the Z series. I wanted an active circuit, it even had a wenge neck with oversprayed bubinga top. The Z3 replacement was magnificent but had a coffee table wood top and cost a fortune, Still a magnificent bass. Are you still using the purple one Kev?
[/quote]

Yup, still using the 'Cadbury Bass' as my main bass, perfect for the band and honestly plays better than any other bass I can remember, super low action and super fast as a result :)

I fancy a D-Bird...

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1490970528' post='3269499']
I sold my ABZ5 about two years ago and it took some time until someone bought it. I guess market changes all the time....supply and demand
[/quote]

I think it's a combination of Sheldon putting his prices up, the long wait time for builds and the crap exchange rate of the pound against other currencies at the moment.. My ABZ went to Germany...

I feel like my Super P5 is the bass that I've always wanted (and my Super J5 is no slouch either). I've got some really nice other boutique and vintage stuff, but the Super P5 is flawless to me and I can't see myself ever parting with it. That sort of feeling is probably why few Dingwalls seem to come up.

[quote name='scannerman' timestamp='1491032550' post='3269930']
I won't be parting with my Z3 any time soon.....sorry.
They are so good!
[/quote]

Any chance of a pic of the Z3?
Just out of sheer noseyness��

Here's the one I let go purely on aesthetics, it played and sounded incredible. It came via a trade deal and I then just figured that if I'm spending as much as I did it should at least be in my choice of colour. See the right hand pic...WOW.....I think Sheldon called it 'Bloodmoon'...absolutely stunning.

It simply looks like demand outnumbering supply. Keeps the prices up too. I'm simply going to have to order from scratch if I'm to get the one I really want...£££££££££££££££££££

Edited by CPBass

I'd have to agree with this guy! It's a superb instrument and it's hard to better it. I have a fender p bass too and I do use it exclusively in one of my bands but that P5 man!

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1491029140' post='3269901']
I feel like my Super P5 is the bass that I've always wanted (and my Super J5 is no slouch either). I've got some really nice other boutique and vintage stuff, but the Super P5 is flawless to me and I can't see myself ever parting with it. That sort of feeling is probably why few Dingwalls seem to come up.
[/quote]

Could someone who has actual experience of them run me through the different models? I know how the Fender range stacks up from top to bottom and what I should expect, but I have never got a handle on Dingwals.

The range is pretty straightforward when you look at that page. The only area I don't quite understand is why the ABZ range still exists? Pre-Combustion era it made sense to have a more budget Canadian model, but now I don't really get why it can't just be Combustion and Afterburner.

[quote name='CPBass' timestamp='1490911397' post='3269086']
[/quote]

I used to own that same Bubinga topped Z3, you sold to Pete I think, I bought it off him. Was a beautiful bass...

[quote name='CPBass' timestamp='1491454569' post='3273102']

Any chance of a pic of the Z3?
Just out of sheer noseyness��

Here's the one I let go purely on aesthetics, it played and sounded incredible. It came via a trade deal and I then just figured that if I'm spending as much as I did it should at least be in my choice of colour. See the right hand pic...WOW.....I think Sheldon called it 'Bloodmoon'...absolutely stunning.

It simply looks like demand outnumbering supply. Keeps the prices up too. I'm simply going to have to order from scratch if I'm to get the one I really want...£££££££££££££££££££
[/quote]

I'd buy it back in a heartbeat if I knew who had it! Although I found the stock Glockenklang preamp to be rather restrictive. It would of been better with Darkglass pre, but nevertheless a fantastic instrument.