Why become a member? ×

What's left to do when you're old?

thepurpleblob

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1491390190' post='3272607']
That's interesting because it's totally not what happens in my area. Open Mics, are for individuals and groups of performers. They usually book a time slot with the organiser and perform two or three numbers. It's an opportunity for the budding solo singer songwriter to air their works to an audience. PA is provided by the organiser. These have only taken off in the last few years.

Jam Sessions are run by an Organiser and his House Band. This could be an established band or a group of musician friends. They provide the PA, drums and back-line and in most cases get paid by the pub. Musicians turn up with their instruments, make themselves known to the Organiser who puts them into bands for 3 or 4 numbers. Usually the designated singer will suggest the numbers and a short discussion ensues. Who knows it, what are the chords, etc. it's all very light-hearted and off we go. If you are a regular then you get to know the other musicians and their favourite numbers. Often you get to play something that you might have heard but have never actually played. It makes you think on your feet, watch the others and most importantly listen. If you get hit with a number that you'd like to play better next time then go home and learn it. There are musicians of all levels and one must be tolerant of the novices. We all had to start somewhere but it does get a bit frustrating if they don't know what a 12-bar is, or they try to slap a Blues. There are also those magic moments when the grouping clicks and it all comes together to the great appreciation of the audience.
[/quote]yep, that's my understanding of open mics and jams as well

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1491390190' post='3272607']
That's interesting because it's totally not what happens in my area. Open Mics, are for individuals and groups of performers. They usually book a time slot with the organiser and perform two or three numbers. It's an opportunity for the budding solo singer songwriter to air their works to an audience. PA is provided by the organiser. These have only taken off in the last few years.

Jam Sessions are run by an Organiser and his House Band. This could be an established band or a group of musician friends. They provide the PA, drums and back-line and in most cases get paid by the pub. Musicians turn up with their instruments, make themselves known to the Organiser who puts them into bands for 3 or 4 numbers. Usually the designated singer will suggest the numbers and a short discussion ensues. Who knows it, what are the chords, etc. it's all very light-hearted and off we go. If you are a regular then you get to know the other musicians and their favourite numbers. Often you get to play something that you might have heard but have never actually played. It makes you think on your feet, watch the others and most importantly listen. If you get hit with a number that you'd like to play better next time then go home and learn it. There are musicians of all levels and one must be tolerant of the novices. We all had to start somewhere but it does get a bit frustrating if they don't know what a 12-bar is, or they try to slap a Blues. There are also those magic moments when the grouping clicks and it all comes together to the great appreciation of the audience.
[/quote]

This is how I'd describe them too. Open mics tend to be for solo performers (or duos or whatever, but not a full band as such) and more often than not original songs are played rather than covers.

Jam nights/sessions, in my experience, tend to be little more than a bunch of musos playing blues and rock covers. I've done a few over the years & always found them incredibly tedious from a bass playing perspective, but then I'm really not a fan of blues stuff.

What to do when you're old? I've kind of slipped into semi-retirement. Heh. Job is low-stress analytical work and I still have a full mop of hair, so I'm good to go. I'll give it five years and try and convince my missus that it's time for me to start reading the pile of books I seem to be accumulating, get away on holiday a bit more, complain about my aching back and knee. I think with the accelerating issues with my thumbs, a fire sale might be happening around the same time, but I'll keep limping along for as long as I can.

My old pop carked it less than two years after he retired; I guess after an uber-active job his body was just worn out, so I plan on enjoying the time off until they screw the lid on.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1491390190' post='3272607'] We all had to start somewhere but it does get a bit frustrating if they try to slap a Blues.
[/quote]

I dunno... it can work (if you call this blues): Starts at 3:15 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOsPHjMJWCs

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1491393420' post='3272647']
What to do when you're old? I've kind of slipped into semi-retirement. Heh.
[/quote]

Same here. 52 & retired on health grounds.
I haven't got much money but I'd much rather be skint & happy than doing a job I hate.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1491392984' post='3272641']
I've done a few over the years & always found them incredibly tedious from a bass playing perspective, but then I'm really not a fan of blues stuff.
[/quote]

In general I agree however it does depends very much on the house band. We are very fortunate that at one of the local Jams the members of one house band also gig in other bands so we can get non-12-bar non-Blues numbers which makes life interesting.

I think this thread should have been titled "Whats left to do when you have health problems" as most of the reasons for not doing stuff, so far, seem to relate more to that as being an issue.

I am 65, fit and healthy and I can pretty much do what I did when I was 20, only better. Mostly because I want to. Our keys player is 73 and one of the best I have ever played with, despite his IBS. Age, health issues aside, is just a number and if you really want to do something you pretty much find a way. I know arthritis is trying hard to stop me doing stuff, my family have a history of the condition, but I refuse to be a victim and modified my diet and exercise regime years ago to compensate. I cant run anymore because of knee problems but I can knock out a 100 mile cycle ride most weekends, no problem, and lift weights three times a week so I am fitter now than most 30 year old's. Use it or lose it.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1491825909' post='3275608']
I think this thread should have been titled "Whats left to do when you have health problems" as most of the reasons for not doing stuff, so far, seem to relate more to that as being an issue.

I am 65, fit and healthy and I can pretty much do what I did when I was 20, only better. Mostly because I want to. Our keys player is 73 and one of the best I have ever played with, despite his IBS. Age, health issues aside, is just a number and if you really want to do something you pretty much find a way. I know arthritis is trying hard to stop me doing stuff, my family have a history of the condition, but I refuse to be a victim and modified my diet and exercise regime years ago to compensate. I cant run anymore because of knee problems but I can knock out a 100 mile cycle ride most weekends, no problem, and lift weights three times a week so I am fitter now than most 30 year old's. Use it or lose it.
[/quote]

Awesome story.

64, I'm in good shape no major health issues. I work hard , the 4 hour bar gig business here in the States can be grueling.

I have scaled back on gear. 750 solid state GK watts into a small 8 ohm GK 2 10 cab is perfect for bar and club gigs

Blue

Edited by blue

A very fit 59 (aarrghh!!!) here and as fit as I was 30 years ago, despite a long-term health issue that doesn't stop me doing anything. I kinda slipped into semi-retirement/retirement since losing my professional job of 33 years a couple of years ago. No real prospect of another job, although I've tried a couple of part-time jobs that didn't turn out to as I'd hoped. Plus my work pension takes me slightly over the personal allowance threshold so I'd pay full tax on a small income from another job. Oh well ... I only miss the income from my job, not the going to work part at all. One day does tend to feel pretty much like the next, and the previous day now though.

The (very good) rock covers band I was in folded unexpectedly last year and since then I've been going crazy trying to find another suitable gigging band. JMB seems a waste of time with almost no suitable ads - and timewasters/dreamers (plus one [i]complete [/i]idiot I came across recently) too. The local Facebook music pages aren't any help and I've never been part of a clique of players locally or fairly locally. I've had a couple of hopeful false starts answering ads, but not followed them up as far as meeting because I knew deep down they weren't 'me' and don't want to let anybody down or be a timewaster.

Ha ha, I think I'm developing OCD checking online for bands several times a day. I'm getting so disheartened now that I often feel like giving up completely even though guitars and bands have been one of my mains loves since I was 12 and first 'discovered' guitars.

Someone joked earlier 'get a motorbike' ... I've had big bikes since I was old enough, and still have.
Sport - no interest whatsoever.
Reading - sometimes, but I get bored and lose concentration.
Wine .... yessss!!!
On a sunny day like today it's lovely sitting around with our sleepy dogs and not doing much at all.

Oh well, I think I'll put the kettle on again and then check to see if April the giraffe has had her baby yet. Then it will only be a couple of hours before 'the other half' gets home.

Thus is my life now.

Edited by inthedoghouse

[quote name='inthedoghouse' timestamp='1491916816' post='3276436']
A very fit 59 (aarrghhhh!!!) here and kinda slipped into semi-retirement/retirement since losing my professional job of 33 years a couple of years ago. No real prospect of another job, although I've tried a couple of part-time jobs that didn't turn out to as I'd hoped. Plus my work pension takes me slightly over the personal allowance threshold so I'd pay full tax on a small income from another job. Oh well ... I only miss the income from my job, not the going to work part at all. One day does tend to feel pretty much like the next, and the previous day now though.

The (very good) rock covers band I was in folded unexpectedly last year and since then I've been going crazy trying to find another suitable gigging band. JMB seems a waste of time with almost no suitable ads - and timewasters/dreamers (plus one [i]complete [/i]idiot I came across recently) too. The local Facebook music pages aren't any help and I've never been part of a clique of players locally or fairly locally. I've had a couple of hopeful false starts answering ads, but not followed them up as far as meeting because I knew deep down they weren't 'me' and don't want to let anybody down or be a timewaster.

Ha ha, I think I'm developing OCD checking online for bands several times a day. I'm getting so disheartened now that I often feel like giving up completely even though guitars and bands have been one of my mains loves since I was 12 and first 'discovered' guitars.

Someone joked earlier 'get a motorbike' ... I've had big bikes since I was old enough, and still have.
Sport - no interest whatsoever.
Reading - sometimes, but I get bored and lose concentration.
Wine .... yessss!!!
On a sunny day like today it's lovely sitting around with our sleepy dogs and not doing much at all.

Oh well, I think I'll put the kettle on again and then check to see if April the giraffe has had her baby yet. Then it will only be a couple of hours before 'the other half' gets home.

Thus is my life now.
[/quote]

Pretty much like my life, then, apart from the 'fit' bit, and that's down to bikes as well! I agree about JMB, around 99% dreamers and no-hopers. Though I found my regular band for the last 4 years through that, but true to form, the one who placed the 'bass player wanted' ad was a complete waste of space. Once I was integrated into the band it was my job to sack him!

On my 5th large mug of tea today right now...and listening to a random selection from the 2500 odd Grateful Dead tracks on my computer.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1491917506' post='3276443']
Pretty much like my life, then, apart from the 'fit' bit, and that's down to bikes as well! I agree about JMB, around 99% dreamers and no-hopers. Though I found my regular band for the last 4 years through that, but true to form, the one who placed the 'bass player wanted' ad was a complete waste of space. Once I was integrated into the band it was my job to sack him!

On my 5th large mug of tea today right now...and listening to a random selection from the 2500 odd Grateful Dead tracks on my computer.
[/quote]
Thanks, Finn - enjoy your tea and music :-) To be fair, I did find my last band on JMB but it really was a needle in a haystack after a year or so of looking. How crap that was, your job to sack the guy who advertised!
I just gave your band's FB a 'like' :)
Now then - the kettle .....
Cheers!

Thanks for the like, we 59 year olds have got to stick together! I get stick from the mere just-turned-50 types about being old, and sneered at by the over 60s for being too young to understand. We must be the forgotten year!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1491918403' post='3276459']
Thanks for the like, we 59 year olds have got to stick together! I get stick from the mere just-turned-50 types about being old, and sneered at by the over 60s for being too young to understand. We must be the forgotten year!
[/quote]
Yep - I'm right with you there :-)

I must say to the 59 year olds that you do wake up on the morning of your 60th birthday feeling like the wisdom of the ancients has descended upon you overnight. You just wait and see...

Don't give up on finding a band, one of my very best opportunities came out of the blue (that is THE blue... not to be confused with Milwaukee Blue). I'd just come back from holiday... a dreary week on me tod... and I got a phone call. I'd put an advert on the beat board of a local music shop (very quaint) and it had been mouldering there for the best part of two years before it was spotted. It turned out that the guitarist was being stalked by his on/off girlfriend... the girlfriend used to drag along her friend as cover... and that friend is now the current Mrs Trueno. It was a really good band as well.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1491927719' post='3276568']
I must say to the 59 year olds that you do wake up on the morning of your 60th birthday feeling like the wisdom of the ancients has descended upon you overnight. You just wait and see...
[/quote]
Thanks - I'll remember that when it comes to my birthday next year (totally dreading it!) I doubt I will ever feel any such surge of wisdom though :blink:

I'll never forget many years ago having a laugh with a dear friend at work about wisdom. She was a just few years older than me and didn't have any wisdom teeth (and I did). I said to her that it was obvious wisdom doesn't come with age, to which she replied, "and it doesn't come with teeth either" :D

Nice story about your ad in the local shop. Shame it took so long though. I'll keep looking for a band - I really miss it and am getting fed up with constantly looking in vain :(