Why become a member? ×

What's left to do when you're old?

thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1491295918' post='3271821']
I don't understand open mic nights. Getting up with some random musicians playing random stuff would be my worst nightmare :o
[/quote]I think that Jam sessions, open mics are usually where you get up on your own or with people you know and perform a few songs, but I know what you mean Jam sessions have never appealed to me either, I don't know (or want to know) the classic rock songs that most of them seem to play or be the foundation while some guitarist does a 15 minute solo

I don't understand open mic nights. Getting up with some random musicians playing random stuff would be my worst nightmare :o
[/quote]
i find it hugely exciting for the spontaneity. You get chatting to someone , narrow it down to a few titles that you both can live with, knock it through twice in thr corridor and do it as best you can. Its a real challenge and if people tap their, feet, dance, say they lked it then thats a huge bonus

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1490910801' post='3269078']
I don't need a motorbike. My other hobby is driving trains for a heritage railway. 266 Litre diesel engine this weekend :lol:
[/quote]

Not the easiest of things to get your knee down on.

I'd like to gig a couple of times a month, and do a few open mics every month too. I love gigging but I'm not fond of lugging gear around.

[/quote]

For me, that's the main reason for going along, being thrown into playing unfamiliar stuff with people you don't know, real sink or swim situation. Not to everyone's taste, though, I can appreciate that.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1491305864' post='3271946']
i find it hugely exciting for the spontaneity. You get chatting to someone , narrow it down to a few titles that you both can live with, knock it through twice in thr corridor and do it as best you can. Its a real challenge and if people tap their, feet, dance, say they lked it then thats a huge bonus
[/quote]

Chatting to someone? I don't think I have the right personality for this :lol:

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1491051336' post='3270172']
Care homes are always looking for people to play Vera Lynn songs & that sort of stuff for the inmates, that's always an option.
You can check out the accommodation for future reference while you are there, maybe put your name on the waiting list...
[/quote]

Mrs Zero and I played at an old people's home last Christmas as an acoustic duo. The inmates are getting closer to our age. John Denver, Elvis, and Metallica all went down well.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1491307269' post='3271966']
Mrs Zero and I played at an old people's home last Christmas as an acoustic duo. The inmates are getting closer to our age. John Denver, Elvis, and Metallica all went down well.
[/quote]

Now that's a varied setlist! :D

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1491309038' post='3271990']
The worst thing about mics, in my opinion, is that they allow pubs to say they have live music without booking, or paying for, a band.
[/quote]

My issue exactly. They've killed off the mid-week band scene 'round our way.

I run a jam night near Manchester every Sunday. We get paid. Not bad money for 6.30 - 9pm, either.
We provide the backline, drums and PA, plus guitars for when people don't bring their own.

I have to say I enjoy our jam night because it's a real mix of players, as well as some of the same-old, week in-week out.
I may get a bass player, guitarist or drummer come in on his own - I'll find out what sort of stuff he does and pair him with some other people,
or he can play with us and we'll do something he wants to do if we know it. Bands have formed at jam nights.

Our setup for those who are curious:
Fender Champion 100w / Hartke bass rig / Yamaha drum kit / Blackstar guitar amp.
Our own guitars / basses, plus whatever guitars or basses we bring specifically for others to use.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1491307209' post='3271965']
Chatting to someone? I don't think I have the right personality for this :lol:
[/quote]

I'm the same.
I started playing solo guitar stuff so I wouldn't have to bother with a band & then I started getting hassled by people at open mics to let me play with them.
Can't bloody win. :D

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1491296534' post='3271827']
I think that Jam sessions, open mics are usually where you get up on your own or with people you know and perform a few songs, but I know what you mean Jam sessions have never appealed to me either, I don't know (or want to know) the classic rock songs that most of them seem to play or be the foundation while some guitarist does a 15 minute solo
[/quote]

Your definition of jam session is not mine.

In the early 70s in my circle jam sessions were for the local top teir musicians with fantastic improvising skills.

Someone would come up with a progression or chord arrangement and they would " kill it ".

Classic rock had nothing to do with the jam sessions I'm familiar with.

As a matter of fact, at the time there was no classic rock. The term didn't exist.

BTW, these jam sessions were in musicians homes and not open to the public.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1491309038' post='3271990']
The worst thing about mics, in my opinion, is that they allow pubs to say they have live music without booking, or paying for, a band.
[/quote]

Finn Dave,

In the States whoever is running an open mic is paid. Maybe not as much as a band, but the owner pays.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1491370233' post='3272399']
Finn Dave,

In the States whoever is running an open mic is paid. Maybe not as much as a band, but the owner pays.

Blue
[/quote]

I've not been involved in running them (done best to avoid) but we have acted as house band a couple of times at an open mic/jam at a local music venue and were not paid for that. Be interesting to hear other people's experiences of the UK open mic scene from that perspective.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1491307185' post='3271964']
For me, that's the main reason for going along, being thrown into playing unfamiliar stuff with people you don't know, real sink or swim situation. Not to everyone's taste, though, I can appreciate that.
[/quote]

Yup. Of course, you don't have to jam along to "classic rock" or any other genre or song you don't wish to. But it's hugely satisfying when you are thrown into a setting where you don't know any of the other musicians, you don't know the song - yet you manage to get through it, and sometimes you manage to play it quite well. For me, it's a test and it pushes me... in a good way

But the other real positive thing, is that I've met some great people and some new, like-minded mates and band members. I've also been asked to do a couple of paid dep gigs, and found a dep drummer and dep keys player for a band I was in. Sure, there are a few wannabies at these things, a few egos, and some talentless dross from time to time - but this is all balanced out when you suddenly discover someone who's really good

Edited by Marc S

there are no rules for open mics, some are run by the pub or whoever turns up first, most are run by somebody with a PA who gets paid (usually about £50 is my experience) and very rarely the performers will get paid, anything from a free pint to £10 fora 30 minute slot.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1491369480' post='3272394']
Your definition of jam session is not mine.

In the early 70s in my circle jam sessions were for the local top teir musicians with fantastic improvising skills.

Someone would come up with a progression or chord arrangement and they would " kill it ".

Classic rock had nothing to do with the jam sessions I'm familiar with.

As a matter of fact, at the time there was no classic rock. The term didn't exist.

BTW, these jam sessions were in musicians homes and not open to the public.

Blue
[/quote]there is a difference between private Jam session and public ones, private ones you know the people there and you're not boring the arse off the crowd (if there is one) by doing a 15 minute turnaround, public ones are usually where the musicians don't really know each other and agree to try and do a song they all know or some know and tell the others the chord progression, I agree they can be satisfying for the musicians involved but very rarely provide any sort of entertainment for anybody watching, IMO

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1491379312' post='3272486']
there is a difference between private Jam session and public ones, private ones you know the people there and you're not boring the arse off the crowd (if there is one) by doing a 15 minute turnaround, public ones are usually where the musicians don't really know each other and agree to try and do a song they all know or some know and tell the others the chord progression, I agree they can be satisfying for the musicians involved but very rarely provide any sort of entertainment for anybody watching, IMO
[/quote]

I guess it depends on the caliber of the musicians that show up for these open mics. Location is always a factor.

Blue

The big difference between an open mic and a jam, to me anyway, is....at an open mic its usually playing a song with people you dont know, but you all have some idea about the song you agree to play, an old classic probably. At a , real to me, jam, someone comes up with a bass line or a chord progression and the rest follow, add there interpretation, and it expands, ebbs and flows to suit the musicians.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1491388019' post='3272578']
The big difference between an open mic and a jam, to me anyway, is....at an open mic its usually playing a song with people you dont know, but you all have some idea about the song you agree to play, an old classic probably. At a , real to me, jam, someone comes up with a bass line or a chord progression and the rest follow, add there interpretation, and it expands, ebbs and flows to suit the musicians.
[/quote]

That's interesting because it's totally not what happens in my area. Open Mics, are for individuals and groups of performers. They usually book a time slot with the organiser and perform two or three numbers. It's an opportunity for the budding solo singer songwriter to air their works to an audience. PA is provided by the organiser. These have only taken off in the last few years.

Jam Sessions are run by an Organiser and his House Band. This could be an established band or a group of musician friends. They provide the PA, drums and back-line and in most cases get paid by the pub. Musicians turn up with their instruments, make themselves known to the Organiser who puts them into bands for 3 or 4 numbers. Usually the designated singer will suggest the numbers and a short discussion ensues. Who knows it, what are the chords, etc. it's all very light-hearted and off we go. If you are a regular then you get to know the other musicians and their favourite numbers. Often you get to play something that you might have heard but have never actually played. It makes you think on your feet, watch the others and most importantly listen. If you get hit with a number that you'd like to play better next time then go home and learn it. There are musicians of all levels and one must be tolerant of the novices. We all had to start somewhere but it does get a bit frustrating if they don't know what a 12-bar is, or they try to slap a Blues. There are also those magic moments when the grouping clicks and it all comes together to the great appreciation of the audience.