Why become a member? ×

What's left to do when you're old?

thepurpleblob

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1491042376' post='3270042']
Eric Clapton is not looking to well. Nothing to do with the thread as such, but when I see people like him looking frail, I realise you gotta pack as much in too your life as you can
[/quote]

Maybe it was a bad pic, bad video or Eric was having a bad day.

Blue

I'm a youngster of 56 and dreading the next couple of months, we have a very full diary but I'm going to be laid up for a good while as I'm having major surgery week after next. My health problems restrict me in some ways, no long walks or flights of stairs but I've been able to gig and work ok. Both these are totally out of the window post op, going to be a tough few months. I did my last gig last night and it was a cracker, a bit bittersweet though, it'll remind me of what I'm missing. I intend to gig on for as long as possible, when I look at some of the guys on here it gives me a lot of encouragement to do this. Blue, yes you're only 64 but 4 hour bar gigs??!! That's just immense!! I hope I can maintain myself to that fitness! Hopefully in the long run this op will help to do this, I have a singer friend of 78 who is doing a four night tour in Germany soon, he still cuts it big time!! As Magnum(the band) said, "I don't need no rocking chair!"

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1491081781' post='3270429']

He was in a wheelchair.
[/quote]

It does say in an article with the pics of him in a wheelchair he'd pulled out of some gigs with severe bronchitis so maybe (hopefully) it's just a passing frailty. At 71 that sort of thing can knock you for six even if you are God!!

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1491127046' post='3270625']
From HipHop to HipOp.
[/quote]

Oi! Less of that. I've never looked back since I got me tin hip!
... but bloody tedious when you go through the security scanner at the airport though...

Clapton is only 71, its nowt. He was only laid up through bronchitis, perhaps he will give up the fags now. As Billy Connolly said "Every fag you smoke takes an hour off your life, and gives it to Keith Richards." I think Keith beat Eric to the Crossroads, that's the only reason he is still hear.

Sorry sounds to me like you need to change your diet, get fit and get some energy. You can then get a life. Jeez man you are the same age as me. I have diverticular disease, high blood pressure, and minor heart issues. Sounds like you are ready for six bits of wood . Fight back man!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1491051336' post='3270172']
Care homes are always looking for people to play Vera Lynn songs & that sort of stuff for the inmates, that's always an option.
You can check out the accommodation for future reference while you are there, maybe put your name on the waiting list...
[/quote]

She doesn't half talk bollocks, that Vera Lynn. I was down at The White Cliffs today. Lovely sunshine, not an f-ing bluebird in sight! :-)

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1491160783' post='3270948']

She doesn't half talk bollocks, that Vera Lynn. I was down at The White Cliffs today. Lovely sunshine, not an f-ing bluebird in sight! :-)
[/quote]

Bluebirds are not a native species in the UK.

On the other hand, 'There'll be pigeons over the white cliffs of Dover' doesn't have quite the same poetry.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1491161708' post='3270954']
Bluebirds are not a native species in the UK.

On the other hand, 'There'll be pigeons over the white cliffs of Dover' doesn't have quite the same poetry.
[/quote]

I quite agree, and I'm all for a bit of artistic license, but are you telling me Dame Vera was spinning us a yarn all along? I'm shocked and appalled.

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1491154587' post='3270868']
Sorry sounds to me like you need to change your diet, get fit and get some energy. You can then get a life. Jeez man you are the same age as me. I have diverticular disease, high blood pressure, and minor heart issues. Sounds like you are ready for six bits of wood . Fight back man!
[/quote]

I'm fine... I'm fit and healthy but have some issues that mean I haven't to push my luck too far. I now find that late night gigs are doing just that. I'm not enjoying it any more because it's exhausting. The alternative is possibly those six bits of wood. "Live healthily" they say... trying :lol:

This thread is interesting reading. Possibly not what I expect but never mind :P

I don't think I want to give up music - which is were I was getting to - but I think I need to take a break, take the pressure off myself, and find out what I really want to do that I will enjoy. Not just anything that comes along.

You've all helped a lot. Really!!

Haven't played in a band in 15 yrs, I'm 57. Just hooked up with a local outfit to do some outdoor summer events....its exciting but its only fun now because I found a lightweight Squier P bass. No way can I stand anymore for 2 hrs with a 70's boat anchor round my neck.

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1491256608' post='3271689']
Haven't played in a band in 15 yrs, I'm 57. Just hooked up with a local outfit to do some outdoor summer events....its exciting but its only fun now because I found a lightweight Squier P bass. No way can I stand anymore for 2 hrs with a 70's boat anchor round my neck.
[/quote]

64, bar gigs are 4 hours in the States. Try doing a 3 gig weekend.

Blue

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1491246178' post='3271568']
This thread is interesting reading. Possibly not what I expect but never mind :P

I don't think I want to give up music - which is were I was getting to - but I think I need to take a break, take the pressure off myself, and find out what I really want to do that I will enjoy. Not just anything that comes along.

You've all helped a lot. Really!!
[/quote]

Anything that you feel is "Pressuring" you, be it music or whatever, you should stop doing if you can. We usually do stuff like music because it gives us pleasure, not pressure.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1491052527' post='3270186']
another 15 years all the care homes will be stuffed full of old Punks, I'll have a whole new career :)
[/quote]

Me too - I'm going to form a band doing punk songs in retirement homes. We'll be called "last of the mohicans" - playing "Teenage Lobotomy" to a bunch of OAP's - if I can get some young whippersnapper to carry my amp ;)

I'm in my 50's too - though this year is quiet so far for gigs, I still love playing. In fact, I can't get enough of it!
Though I'm in several bands, the amount of gigs is unpredictable - sometimes it's 3 or 4 a week, sometimes it's just 1 or 2 a month

I guess you just have to find other musicians with similar needs /expectations
Try a few open mic nights? You can get up & play a few times, go as often or as little as you want. It keeps your hand in, and you might meet other musicians who want the same things from their playing..... I'd hate to give up completely. I had time out of playing for over 20 years (family stuff, house renovation etc) and when I came back to bass, I wished I'd never stopped playing

Good luck with your search / decision anyway :)

Edited by Marc S