Why become a member? ×

What's left to do when you're old?

thepurpleblob

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490964327' post='3269438']

A few years ago I would have said the same thing.
These days, however, I'm happy to veg in front of the TV to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. I feel a lot better in myself too since I stopped forcing myself to do stuff just for the sake of doing something.
[/quote]

I agree. Sometimes I can't even be arsed to put the tv on... depends how far away the remote is.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1490948425' post='3269234']
If you've ever lost a partner you realise how important it is to live every day to the full.

I feel guilty if I don't. And as I have a gig tonight I will be having a specially good day. You only get one life...
[/quote]

ditto this

Born on D Day, injecting diabetic with high BP and cholesterol, had a pulmonary embolism and fighting arthritis in hands shoulders and hips. Just joined a second hand because my main gig is slowly winding down. On my third house renovation in France. It really is all in the mind...

Looks like your body wants your circadian rhythm back.Nothing wrong with wanting to go to bed at 10;30 pm.I'm an early bird and like things get done early on the days I don't work.
Are you a gym member? Swimming or join a running club.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1491022196' post='3269888']
Looks like your body wants your circadian rhythm back.Nothing wrong with wanting to go to bed at 10;30 pm
[/quote]going to bed early is for whimps, I have an afternoon nap instead :)

The singer in one of my bands is in his late 60's. He's got tonnes of energy, and he teaches songwriting and performance to kids. He's got so much enthusiasm it's unreal.

If I'm half as active as he is when I'm in my sixties, I'll be happy. I doubt it very much, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cKycykSIVQ

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1491042376' post='3270042']
Eric Clapton is not looking to well. Nothing to do with the thread as such, but when I see people like him looking frail, I realise you gotta pack as much in too your life as you can
[/quote]

I looked terrible when I had bronchitis, and I'm in my mid-40s. He's 71 - he's entitled to look a bit worse :-D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1491042473' post='3270047']
I looked terrible when I had bronchitis, and I'm in my mid-40s. He's 71 - he's entitled to look a bit worse :-D
[/quote] Yup, you have a point there. People like him always seemed so invincible to me. Ronnie Lane was a particular favourite, and he died 20 years ago, and I am a couple years from his age yet. I got a lot to do too get to what he has achieved let alone Clapton. Better get practicing

I'd start off by going along to jam nights to keep your hand in.

As to how many gigs you do, form another band with a strict remit. Let them know quite clearly that you're not going to exceed the stated number of gigs. It can be hard to get a band together that may rehearse more than it plays out though.

My own situation is that I'm 58 and my health is not all it should be (Half of thyroid out the other year and I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year and had the thing whipped out last April - three all clears, thankfully, but I am left really exhausted a lot and mornings after the weekend involve a lie-in). I parted with my last band because I came back too early after my op and had a very short fuse for their foolishness and the workload. My Sunday jam night band now works as hard, if not harder (bearable as I am not with imbeciles now, but I retired early from my day job 18 months ago.

Diaries CAN run away with you, but you have to hold firm about what you want to do gig-wise.

I'm the oldest in my band by 15 years. I want to do this for as long as I can and was recently mighty encouraged when I saw Robin Trower. Old guy with grey whispy hair takes to the stage and proceeds to blast his way through a set which completely blew me away. He's got plenty of years on me so I came away feeling energised. However, my bandmates are frequently 'too knackered' to rehearse and it p***es me off that they seem to have no concept at all that time starts to run out at some point. I guess I was the same 15 years ago but I want to keep going at full throttle til the engine blows.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1491042376' post='3270042']
Eric Clapton is not looking to well. Nothing to do with the thread as such, but when I see people like him looking frail, I realise you gotta pack as much in too your life as you can
[/quote]

Clapton is a 71 year old ex alcoholic, ex smackhead, ex heavy smoker - why wouldn't he look frail?
Some people might get to their 70s & be lucky enough to be in relatively good health & still able to do stuff they want to do but that doesn't mean they're not old.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1491048930' post='3270149']

Clapton is a 71 year old ex alcoholic, ex smackhead, ex heavy smoker - why wouldn't he look frail?
Some people might get to their 70s & be lucky enough to be in relatively good health & still able to do stuff they want to do but that doesn't mean they're not old.
[/quote] Who said he wasn't looking frail?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1491049655' post='3270158']
Nobody, you just seem to be surprised that he looks frail.
He's an old man.
[/quote] I am more surprised that he is still alive let alone looking frail. I am surprised that he suddenly looks frail from the last time I saw a photo of him, as he looked fit, and was on tour soon. Just thinking how suddenly an illness can suddenly change everything. That is why I think I should do more than sit around on forums all day, as I never know what is around the corner health wise

How about just concentrating on afternoon gigs?
Around here quite a few pubs have bands on a Sunday afternoon/evening, around four o'clock start. Not just acoustic stuff or duos, full bands.
Could be an option if the late nights get to you.

Care homes are always looking for people to play Vera Lynn songs & that sort of stuff for the inmates, that's always an option.
You can check out the accommodation for future reference while you are there, maybe put your name on the waiting list...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1491051336' post='3270172']
Care homes are always looking for people to play Vera Lynn songs & that sort of stuff for the inmates, that's always an option.
You can check out the accommodation for future reference while you are there, maybe put your name on the waiting list...
[/quote]another 15 years all the care homes will be stuffed full of old Punks, I'll have a whole new career :)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1491052527' post='3270186']
another 15 years all the care homes will be stuffed full of old Punks, I'll have a whole new career :)
[/quote]

Yep. In 5 years time they will be full of old Hippies wanting Rock and Prog. 10 years after that the Punks can kick out all the old fart music and demand a new wave.