Why become a member? ×

What's left to do when you're old?

thepurpleblob

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1490913113' post='3269095']
Have you ever been down to my town Bridgnorth? the Severn Valley Railway is fantastic, mostly steam but does have a few diesels, and my local is The Railwayman's Arms which is on the platform of Bridgnorth station and is quite unique as it has never closed since it first opened in 1861. :)
[/quote]

A 24hr pub Whoo Hoo :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490905723' post='3269012']
I couldn't wait to get old so I'd have an excuse to stop doing stuff.
[/quote]

No Rhys, not true - I hope that one day, when I am as old as you, I can also find the energy to spread my negativity far and wide! It can't be easy :D

Disclaimer. That was no more serious that the quoted remark.

I think I am a bit older.

:lol:

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1490943467' post='3269161']
No Rhys, not true - I hope that one day, when I am as old as you, I can also find the energy to spread my negativity far and wide! It can't be easy :D

Disclaimer. That was no more serious that the quoted remark.

I think I am a bit older.

:lol:
[/quote]

I'm glad somebody appreciates just how much time & energy goes into being a miserable old bastard, it's exhausting...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1490910801' post='3269078']
I don't need a motorbike. My other hobby is driving trains for a heritage railway. 266 Litre diesel engine this weekend :lol:
[/quote]

Now i'm jealous. That sounds like great fun.

Dave

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490905723' post='3269012']
The thing I find amazing is that people still want to keep doing loads of stuff when they get old. I couldn't wait to get old so I'd have an excuse to stop doing stuff.
[/quote]

Being old is a mindset. I have played, and had epic bike rides, with people in there 70s and felt like I was with 25 year old's. Conversely I have spent time with 25 year old's and thought "Bloody hell, you think and sound like an old man".

You don't stop doing things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing things..

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1490888710' post='3268852']
Some 'Old People' pass-times I've noticed are;

Driving very slowly,especially during rush hour.
Paying for the weekly shop in 2p pieces.
Asking for a full ingredients and cooking process breakdown whilst ordering a pub lunch.

These all look like splendid fun.
[/quote]

My god, you're right, they do. I shall implement these immediately.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1490910801' post='3269078']
I don't need a motorbike. My other hobby is driving trains for a heritage railway. 266 Litre diesel engine this weekend :lol:
[/quote]

Yes, but does it have 'heft'? Are diesel litres the same as valve litres?

forget age its just a number - get some camera gear keep playing and you will find others th jam/gig with
as Lemmy said [color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1]"If you think you are [/size][/font][/color][color=#6A6A6A][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1][b]too old[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1] to [/size][/font][/color][color=#6A6A6A][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1][b]rock 'n roll[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1] then you are.".[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1]your not too old, do it all[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1490888710' post='3268852']
Some 'Old People' pass-times I've noticed are;

Driving very slowly,especially during rush hour.
Paying for the weekly shop in 2p pieces.
Asking for a full ingredients and cooking process breakdown whilst ordering a pub lunch.

These all look like splendid fun.
[/quote]
You forgot "[i]being rude to the nice lady in the post office/supermarket/pharmacy about things that aren't actually their fault[/i]"

My kids play in a local educational trust music group (multiple ensembles) and parents are allowed to join in.

So that's what I do. Every Saturday morning in term time I got and play for 3 hours. Sometimes I'm playing for all of that, sometimes for only an hour - depends what the kids' need as decided by the ensemble leaders (all pro teachers). There is also a "Grown Up Band" for the adults.

I play rock, jazz, orchestral, film scores, beatles, Sinatra, Sheeran, Adele, Buckley, even Fiddler on the Roof etc.

There's 1 gig per term too.

Some of the "Grown Up Band" kids left years ago but the adults keep coming - to practice and have a laugh.

I'm in my 40s, I've had some health issues, so this is perfect for me. It's really improving my reading skills (which were a fat ZERO when I started there), it is a sociable hours, and I get to play a massive variety of stuff.

I have to say that I didn't mean to imply I'm a miserable old fart... I do lots of stuff. Too much probably. The last thing I want to do is veg in front of the TV. However, increasingly, finishing a gig at gone midnight, packing up and driving home has been taking two days of migraines and misery to get over. It's ceasing to be sustainable. I'd quite like to keep playing and I'll miss it but I can't play the sort of gigs I used to.

I've been chipping away at learning to read. Before I played bass I played percussion and could sight-read very well. I got gigs in theatres and stuff and really enjoyed that.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1490949869' post='3269255']
judging by most of these reply the title should read 'What's left to do when you're not healthy enough'
[/quote]

Yep - I've never naturally been a nighttime person. Bed time is 10:30pm :lol: However, I appear to no longer have the reserves to compensate. Gigs should be from 6pm to 10pm!!!

I turned 50 this year but I have two kids under 5, so I don't have any time to be old. Plus my wife was in an accident in January and can't negotiate stairs, get out of the house unaided or lift or carry anything so I also currently do all the cooking and housework, work full time and commute for 2.5 hrs a day on top of the very important job of playing in a really good band. I've played in my share of duds and I really appreciate how rare it is to find a good group of people who have compatible ideas and compatible personalities and can all play well. What all of this has done is to remove any residual tolerance I once had for having my time wasted. I used to be happy to play a gig under almost any circumstances and just be grateful to play, no matter how much extra hanging around was involved. Late night? Sure. Long drive? Whatever. Only 30 minutes, not an hour? OK then. But no more. Late nights in bars are only fun if someone else is driving anyway. But if the organisers haven't thought about the adequacy of the PA (we can't put the bass through it even though we told you to only bring one cab, I don't really know how this mixer works etc); don't have time for me to soundcheck (I know you're a five piece band but can you set up in 5 minutes?) or suddenly need me to play an hour later than agreed (what's happening to my kids in that extra hour exactly?), no dice. I've embraced the power of 'No'. I think this makes me a grumpy middle aged man.

This topic scares me a bit. I don't have any other interests and take on the whole gigging thing warts and all. I've never really stopped to think what if?
For the OP I think if you still want to do something rather than nothing, see if your old band are open to you doing deps for them. You might get four or five over a year and that may satisfy your thirst whilst not putting the same strain on your health.
Advertise as available for deps locally too. You could pick which ones you get offered.

Edited by bassjim

I will be 60 this year and we are currently recruiting a singer, guitarist and keyboard player and we have stated that we aim to gig no more that 2/3 times a month and all are happy with this as, like me, they also hold down day jobs.
Keep up with the photography it's a great hobby and one you can increase (or decrease) your interest in depending upon your circumstances. You could even make a living out of it.

53 and playing the best gigs of my whole career. I arrange most of them myself and am very selective about who I play with. I am almost always the worst player but it's generally well received.

I have also started working on my guitar playing again so there is always something to enjoy. I do get where people are coming from with regards to the physicality of playing.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1490949089' post='3269246']
The last thing I want to do is veg in front of the TV.
[/quote]

A few years ago I would have said the same thing.
These days, however, I'm happy to veg in front of the TV to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. I feel a lot better in myself too since I stopped forcing myself to do stuff just for the sake of doing something.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1490910067' post='3269065']

If you're doing 8 acres with the harrows at 76, it may be time you treated yourself to a tractor or something.

:)
[/quote]

No Jack, Iron Man I'm not, I have a red tractor. If my photo skills were up to it I'd send you a pic but all I could do on BC would be a thumbnail on its side.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1490964219' post='3269435']
I felt the same when I lived in Wales...
[/quote]

By that I meant that I don't feel that there's anything I want or need to do in the time I've got left. If I died tomorrow my last thoughts wouldn't be of all the things I'll never be able to do. There's nothing I want to do, I'm happy sitting on my arse doing nothing.

I do agree with you though, Wales is pretty sh*t.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490964565' post='3269444']
I'm happy sitting on my arse doing nothing.
[/quote]

I'm not, but each to his own. There's no point in running yourself ragged doing things you're not particularly into just to give the impression you're a happy, fully-rounded individual when you're not.

In fact I am fully-rounded, but I think that's more to do with the current mrs discreet's cooking.