Why become a member? ×

G&L Kiloton

Sean

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1491029830' post='3269908']
G&L are now producing an amazing array of basses. The only gap I can see is the 5 string SB/P bass
ASAT's , L series, M series, The MJ's, JB's, LB, Kiliton and SB's

Loks like they have most "basses" covered :)

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/index.asp
[/quote]

I normally open that page in private view mode.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1491000031' post='3269841']
it's like a version of an MM Sterling ... and the pick up's in exactly the right position from what I can see
[/quote]
The pickup position on the Kiloton looks to be exactly the same as the L1500 which is 1cm closer to the bridge than a Stingray/Sterling. I guess Leo slightly adjusted his view of the 'sweetspot' during the G&L days.

I think what I like about an early stingray and an early L1000 is that they clearly have been designed to work together - the pickup and the tone controls literally designed around each other to provide a certain tonal set of sounds. Kudos to Leo for them both.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1491029830' post='3269908']
G&L are now producing an amazing array of basses. The only gap I can see is the 5 string SB/P bass
ASAT's , L series, M series, The MJ's, JB's, LB, Kiliton and SB's

Loks like they have most "basses" covered :)

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/index.asp
[/quote]

If I was in the market for a new bass, and given my experiences with Musicman stuff, I would almost definitely go for a G&L of some sort. Still hate that stupid pointy bit on the headstock though.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jecklin

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1494584402' post='3297125']
What is it about the £1500 price tag that puts you off? Genuinely curious since it's a USA built bass with high quality parts.
[/quote]

It's not the price per se, just relative values.
I wouldn't consider £5k for a fodera expensive for example.
These are mass produced factory instruments built down, not up to a specification.
I watch with wry amusement at the pricing models used by Fender, Musicman and G&L. They charge what people will pay, so good for them. They are running successful businesses after all :)

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1494588051' post='3297176']

It's not the price per se, just relative values.
I wouldn't consider £5k for a fodera expensive for example.
These are mass produced factory instruments built down, not up to a specification.
I watch with wry amusement at the pricing models used by Fender, Musicman and G&L. They charge what people will pay, so good for them. They are running successful businesses after all :)
[/quote]

Musicman instruments are hand finished and particularly the necks - that's how they get consistent high quality - not sure what G and L and Lakland do but to get that on a Fender you would be looking at some form of custom shop instrument I believe.

So the comparisons being made may not be like for like. All US instruments have suffered at the hands of the exchange rate debacle following that well known recent political phenomena - it's similar in many industries - so we have probably just got to get real on these new pricing structures for instruments. The price of respective used ones is also going up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnjw1JIy7XY

G&L is basically a high output custom shop. You can get some off the shelf instruments, the lb100 I just got is a typical spec example. If you follow their Facebook page you get to know the common configurations, but for hand finished instruments, plekked and I believe more interesting than fenders they're great value. My asat and lb100 aren't leaving the stable!