Why become a member? ×

Go doug

christhammer666

I've met Doug a few times. Last time he came to Milwaukee with Vernon, they played our Shank Hall. It's not a Hall, it's 150 seat bar. It's still an awesome venue for headliners.

I always thought Doug would have been the best match for The Rolling Stones.

Blue

I've never been a huge fan of Living Colour really. It just seemed like everyone was shredding non stop. Too maximalist for my tastes, and Corey Glover's voice does make my teeth grate after a while. I have a similar problem with Levitation, despite loving both Bickers and Bic's guitar work. There's just too much of it all at once. I always much preferred Doug's playing with the various Tackhead related projects. There was just a lot more space but the playing was still totally insane. Watching them as a duo or a quartet, it's interesting that the number of musical events don't really change. I think it helped having Sherwood at the controls. A non playing band member making the executive decisions cut out a lot of potential clutter. Just my opinion obviously.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1490957039' post='3269362']
I have a similar problem with Levitation, despite loving both Bickers and Bic's guitar work. There's just too much of it all at once.
[/quote]

Really? There's only so much Living Colour I can take, but I love Levitation. "Need For Not" is one of my favourite albums ever.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490958265' post='3269375']
Really? There's only so much Living Colour I can take, but I love Levitation. "Need For Not" is one of my favourite albums ever.
[/quote]

A bit OT, but I preferred Dark Star by some margin, for the reasons above. "Levitation with all the chrome ripped off and sprayed matt black" as Dave Francolini put it. I don't think a guitar player as good as Bickers needed another guitar player as good as Bic in the band and the last thing either of them needed was a keyboard player too! I'd still count myself as pro-Levitation and both albums get played periodically (the restored/as originally intended 'Meanwhile Gardens' was surprisingly good too), but I go to 20/20 Sound far more often. YMMV of course.