Why become a member? ×

Go doug

christhammer666

I don't mind Doug, but these are Muzzy's lines!

That said, it's refreshing to see footage of Living Colour playing to a reasonsbly big crowd, even if most of them probably only know Cult of Personality because it was on Guitar Hero.

I'm a big fan of those first three albums although it's much a case of diminishing returns; so much unfulfilled/unrealised potential...they should have been huuuuge and achieved godlike status, but alas, t'wasn't to be. Indifferent, output, side projects, conflict. Tsk.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1490773990' post='3267762']I'm a big fan of those first three albums although it's much a case of diminishing returns; so much unfulfilled/unrealised potential...they should have been huuuuge and achieved godlike status, but alas, t'wasn't to be. Indifferent, output, side projects, conflict. Tsk.
[/quote]

A very sound analysis! They had so much going for them...

I saw Corey Glover (with dUg Pinnick supporting) in New York about 18 months ago. While dUg was great, CGs band wasn't so great, lumbering uncomfortably through a few Living Colour standards, some of his back catalogue (from Hymns) and a couple of covers. We didn't stay until the end.

For a guy that should have been an absolutely huge star (and while I know the Body Glove years are well behind him), it was a little sad to see him sweatily sauntering around on stage in a matching pink twinset of jogging trousers and hoodie (which my wife refers to it as the bunny suit), a tweed flat cap and glasses. (oooh, go here [url="http://pancakesandwhiskey.com/2015/05/13/a-night-with-corey-glover-and-dug-pinnick/"]http://pancakesandwhiskey.com/2015/05/13/a-night-with-corey-glover-and-dug-pinnick/[/url] ) At one stage he broke down and cried mid-song. My wife and I honestly felt that while people can get emotional, we felt he was just plain not right and needed a bit of help.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1490777788' post='3267804']
Doug is a total hero, but for me he will always be the guy from Tackhead. So much great playing on those On-U Sound records.
[/quote]

Oh yes! B) Saw them live at the (now gone) Newcastle Riverside in 1989. Still one of my best ever gigs! :)

Always preferred Muzz Skillings, lost interest in Living Colour after he left. I only really liked the first two albums anyway.
I had an "interesting" encounter with Doug at a clinic he was doing many years ago which left me in no doubt that the guy was a total dick.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490788224' post='3267964']
I had an "interesting" encounter with Doug at a clinic he was doing many years ago which left me in no doubt that the guy was a total dick.
[/quote]

Would that have been around 1996? I saw him at a clinic at the Bass Centre in Birmingham around then and came away a bit disappointed. He spent most of the time playing with loops and noodling - nothing like his Living Colour playing (which was why I went).

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1490795993' post='3268099']
Would that have been around 1996? I saw him at a clinic at the Bass Centre in Birmingham around then and came away a bit disappointed. He spent most of the time playing with loops and noodling - nothing like his Living Colour playing (which was why I went).
[/quote]

Probably earlier than that, around 1990-91.

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1490795993' post='3268099']
[/quote]

I saw him at the Bass Centre in Wapping. I'd concur with the above...he was very entertaining, albeit a little self-indulgent, it has to be said.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1490807911' post='3268248']
I think he's an Ashdown whore these days.
[/quote]

He may be now, but as recently as three years ago he was still using old TE amps. I guess they will all die eventually.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPekZmNeuDs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPekZmNeuDs [/url]

All I can say is that I hope he keeps a good supply of patch cables in his gig bag.

All his Instagram photos suggest he's still using old Trace gear - he has an ashdown B-Social and possibly a Retroglide but his gig rigs are trave unless supplies backline I believe :)

I enjoyed the clip, his playing is amazing and his tone for such a light touch is amazing, I really have a lot to learn still :)

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1490860352' post='3268509']
<ashamed hands up>
[/quote]

Shame on you. If nothing else, listen to their greatest hits album 'Pride'. best track for me has to be love raises it's ugly head. Sadly that album doesn't include the classic 'Elvis is dead' - you'll need Time's up for that one :D

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1490863302' post='3268548']
While we're on the subject of Living Colour, I recently snared a copy of one of the early US copies of Stain with the different guitar solos on it. I think its the fifth or sixth version of the album that I'd bought.
[/quote]

Oooh that's quite rare isn't it? Care to share any? ;)

I have been a fan since Vivid came out. Totally loved the music and Muzz's playing. I thought it was very tasteful and fitting and brilliant rock stuff. I spent a lot of time as a teenager learning those lines and Times up and Stain included. I have bought the albums after that and they are ok but nothing on par with the old stuff.

As has been said they should have been massive with all this talent. Vernon Reid is the reason I am obsessed with Hamer guitars still today. I have to admit though even if I like his song writing and over all tone and playing his solos are crap. I just dont get them.

But Will Calhoun is one of the baddest rock (and overall) drummer there is. I would put him in the top five of my fave drummers.