Why become a member? ×

Finished! A Bridge Too Far?

Andyjr1515

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1498060062' post='3322295']
..and no disrespect to Andy and his work but so do I...

I'm beginning to think I might need to worry about being hijacked on the road when I collect it.... B) B)

If it happens there are currently 38,201 suspects....
[/quote] :lol:

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1498060062' post='3322295']
..and no disrespect to Andy and his work but so do I...

I'm beginning to think I might need to worry about being hijacked on the road when I collect it.... B) B)

If it happens there are currently 38,201 suspects....
[/quote]

I imagine collection day will probably look something like this...

http://youtu.be/2uV-0y-zNJk

Edited by Cato

I haven't done any Basschatting for a while due to ill health, but I thought it was time for 'the return of the eyebrow'. I have therefore just discovered this thread today. On the upside, I had 14 pages of superb Build Diary to read in one go.

Incredible work Andy, as ever!

Subscribed in an instant

RK7

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1498118290' post='3322566']
I haven't done any Basschatting for a while due to ill health, but I thought it was time for 'the return of the eyebrow'. I have therefore just discovered this thread today. On the upside, I had 14 pages of superb Build Diary to read in one go.

Incredible work Andy, as ever!

Subscribed in an instant

RK7
[/quote]
Thanks, RK7

Good to have you back :) I've missed that giraffe!

Still loads to do but it is starting to come together.

One thing that I can now confirm is that the playing position is going to be very good :)

The weight of the tuner block - I'm pretty sure - will swing the body to the right on the strap giving easy reach to the lower notes. The block itself sits a couple of inches clear of, but curving round the player's butt. Control positions appear to be pretty good. The drop-away built into the extended fretboard seems to work well with no feeling of 'tapping the top' while you're playing. It's light, it's slim and and it sits well. The surprise is that over the knee it's pretty damn near perfect - probably the best I've played - again, because the balance gives a slight headstock-up sit, making for very comfortable reach throughout the fretboard.

Today I'm going to finalise the saddle position and level / dress the frets. For that I need to use Mick's 'special' strings. I won't photo those until the thing is fully finished ;)

One of the discussions Mick and I had was about fret marker dots beyond where the neck joins the top horn. I think this works quite elegantly....:

It's using the smaller 3mm luminlay...

Still loads to do but it's another one off the list :)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1498144614' post='3322797']
Ahah! That's brilliant! I must admit, I personally wasn't overly enamoured of the asymmetric fingerboard widening (not that my opinion actually matters a jot, but you know what I mean), but with those dots in place, it's going to look pretty slick!

S.P.
[/quote]

You know, I'm of exactly the same opinion - those dots look great within the extended frets - that's a really clever solution and so stylish!

• Like 1

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1498155344' post='3322873']
It will also let the player bend the e string further down the dusty end - if that was something you wanted to do
[/quote]
My mum always told me to try to keep away from the dusty end, so I wouldn't know about that.... :D

This is how the tuner block is supported, by the way:

I've only got two screws on it at the moment and it's solid as a rock (the screws just hold it in position - no side force on the screws at all)

The saddle is nearly there. These are closer to the tension of the strings we'll be using and the truss rod and action have been adjusted. I reckon the saddle needs to go back one more mm. I'll try that in the morning...

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1498143778' post='3322790']
One of the discussions Mick and I had was about fret marker dots beyond where the neck joins the top horn. I think this works quite elegantly....:

It's using the smaller 3mm luminlay...

Still loads to do but it's another one off the list :)
[/quote]

I like that a lot.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1498164089' post='3322949']

Just looking at that photo have you thought about how that is going to fit in a hard case, or alternatively what protection it is going to need in a gig bag?
[/quote]
One of the tasks on the list is to go to the local stockist and see what fits and what doesn't ;)

I think the length more than the depth will be the challenge. Remembering that it is super-slim, it is actually only 80mm thick. A slim Ibanez is 70mm and my Les Paul is 110mm!! On the other hand, the severe offset makes it quite long.

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1498166002' post='3322965']
One of the tasks on the list is to go to the local stockist and see what fits and what doesn't ;)

I think the length more than the depth will be the challenge. Remembering that it is super-slim, it is actually only 80mm thick. A slim Ibanez is 70mm and my Les Paul is 110mm!! On the other hand, the severe offset makes it quite long.
[/quote]

I think your best option is to get one of those squared-type cases and line it with some foam to make it suit the bass. Something like this:

Then add the necessary foam to make the bass sit tight and secure.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1498232771' post='3323337']
I think your best option is to get one of those squared-type cases and line it with some foam to make it suit the bass. Something like this:

Then add the necessary foam to make the bass sit tight and secure.
[/quote]
Yes - I think you're right. I went to the local music shop today and talked through with the owner. Although he didn't have any, we came to much the same conclusion. Stunning, by the way, how many respected case suppliers don't put the internal dimensions of their cases on their web sites!

By the way, a few thread followers are still a bit confused to the actual shape -it is a bit Dali-ish and difficult to stand up to take shots!

So while the test strings were on I took some straightforward plan and elevation shots.

[b]Bearing in mind that the final sanding and rounding hasn't yet been done, one of the test strings I'm using is a bit short, the hatches are't yet located and there is a carved feature still to put on the back of the headstock! :rolleyes: :lol:[/b]

...then this might give a better idea of the actual shape:

Ref the side on shot - see what I mean about it being very slim. Hence it's very light....