Why become a member? ×

Humble P(ie)

GreeneKing

There have been times when I've taken a firm stance on some topics. Included in those would be the merits of relic'd instruments and the narrow mindedness of those who eschew everything that doesn't have an 'F' on the headstock and a single pickup in the 'traditional' position.

I do however love that unique P bass tone, in all it's varieties and think that Leo got it right at that time when others failed. I just that for me it's not the only tone, it's not extremely versatile and there are times when it struggles 'in the mix' (my opinion, I know that many would disagree). My ACG Holly Salace headless has a P pickup under the hood (and an MM).

I have many great basses with a huge range of wonderful tones but none of them quite had that P bass tone. Becoming bandless left me wanting a simple P for playing in my mini practice room at home.

I ended up looking at a new 'soft aged' Sandberg California II VS5 in BassDirect. Given that the bass is new and hasn't been abused AND given the the relic'ing was mild I went ahead with acquiring it.

It's funny. I love it. I love it to bits even. It's got a worn finish and the bridge and tuners look 'steam punked'. There are several chips and painted over scuffs and scratches. The fit and quality of components is very high indeed. There is no fret wear. It plays and sounds absolutely lovely (it's also the lightest bass I own) and I'm left feeling slightly fraudulent :unsure: Sometimes life doesn't follow the path you expected it to. Maybe that's what makes it such fun?

I thought I'd share Sandberg's work:

Edited by GreeneKing

Nice!

I'd never heard the term "soft aged" before, but it describes all of my basses perfectly - looked after, but well used.

I like basses that've been 'pre-dinged', as it takes away some of the angst as you watch your singer (in slow motion) knock your prize instrument off its stand. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Great OP. Thinking about a p myself. "Definitely" want an F on the headstock and hate relics... but I wouldn't rule out a Sandberg like that or something similar. I'd have to draw the line at 5 string, though... strictly 4 strings here.
Lovely bass.

An update. Still loving my P and yes it is light. I'll weigh it. It's my go to bass atm and I have 6 hanging in my den.

I'm not sure what strings Sandberg put on their basses but playability is very good and I'm loving the P tone. Nice neck too, quite shallow.

The Delano doesn't seem too bright either, a criticism I've heard. The 2EQ works well but I'm as inclined to use it passive with the treble knob doubling as a passive tone. There's only a slight volume drop going into passive.

Next week I'll maybe switch to another of my collection but we'll see. I did play the same song on each bass out of interest the other day. The best in terms of playability and tone was my ACG Uber Finn and I'm not just saying that because Alan is a friend.

Sometimes a slightly battered (new) P bass hits the spot :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1491174329' post='3271052']
I'm not sure what strings Sandberg put on their basses but playability is very good and I'm loving the P tone. Nice neck too, quite shallow.
[/quote]

I like the ones that came on my VM5 too, when I asked Mark Stickley he reckoned that they are GHS Boomers. I did note at the time that you can also buy branded strings on the sandberg website. Here you go, in german though.

https://www.cottoncontrol.com/browse/sandberg/de,0,308,0,0.html

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1491320944' post='3272097']
I like the ones that came on my VM5 too, when I asked Mark Stickley he reckoned that they are GHS Boomers. I did note at the time that you can also buy branded strings on the sandberg website. Here you go, in german though.

[url="https://www.cottoncontrol.com/browse/sandberg/de,0,308,0,0.html"]https://www.cottonco...,0,308,0,0.html[/url]
[/quote]

Thank you. Interestingly I'd have said they were nickels. GHS style ends though.

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1491141572' post='3270768']
I'm now after a German VS4 to see the difference.
[/quote]

Well mine should be along fairly soon so you are welcome to come and have a try.