Why become a member? Read more... ×
Painy

New Tech21 Q\Strip.

40 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Danny - you've mentioned these guys before, I think,  and it does sound really interesting / neat. Obviously their shipping charges to the UK are more than $2 though? If you've got a mo, would you mind giving an example of typical costs of how it would work to buy something from a store in the US that doesn't normally ship to the UK using shipto.com? What insurance / guarantees to you get etc.?

$2 fee plus whatever standard rates USPS or FedEx charge to deliver / insure. I got a pedal over here for something like $25, check their site for any more info.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Enjoy! (And this will be worse than the PDDI for 'forever twiddling' 'cos it's more versatile from what I've seen :) )

Is this a new band venture you're in? What genre you guys playing and any gigs in the diary?

Cheers. I’m not sure I will play as much with it as I have other pedals in the past. I play mostly with a pick but have always struggled to get a fuller finger type tone. I’m going to concentrate more on this that overal tone shaping. It will be used always on after my Cali and before my Pork Loin. 

It’s the she’s of an old band. We split in dec 2016 and I had was enjoying my Sat evening back, but my singer (and GF) was getting twitchy so she put a few ads up. That was may last year and we are still struggling to find a band we feel happy with. The guys we have can talk the talk, but the end result has been anything but inspiring. So, I’m hoping we will gig this year but things are going very slow. We are just doing the standard covers at the moment, nothing that really needs anything special  sounding from the bass, but its nice to hear a nice tone once in a while 

I've got one. Super duper powerful eq, the lpf and hpf are a great touch however the lpf is based at 3k which I would usually think is a little low for me but the other controls make up for it and from what I understand, the drop-off isn't as steep as on some other lpfs. So it all balances out and allows me to get some cab-sim sounds when I DI. 

I'm not in any gigging bands at the moment but it's a great tool for recording everything, guitars, bass, vocals.

I did think at the time "why don't I get the vtbass DI instead? Or the two notes lebass" but this has a great eq and small footprint and isn't just for one instrument. 

The deep down truth is that I bought a spotless b-stock qstrip in the states from prymaxe. The b-stock discount, coupled with the other discounts they offer and the fact that I could get free shipping to my father in law's and then just bring it home meant that I paid about £160 for it. At that price, I'm very happy. At the UK price of £308? I don't think I would get enough value out of it to justify the cost.

I had my first go on mine last night. It arrived during the day and i went straight off to rehearsals.

I will say i love it, love how it looks, love what it can do but think its waaaaay over priced. i agree, at £308 its not quite good value for money, but thats not to say its not going to do its job.

During the rehearsal i played with it, and yes, its very powerful. Problem was i was going through the studio's 2 1x15 Behringer cabs, and standing right in front of them. It sounded good to me, but listening back to the recording it was very boomy. My fault of course, and i need more time with it. I ended up using it more off than on, just so i didnt keep the band waiting while i fiddled with it. Next rehearsal isnt for a few weeks so ill have the hang of it by then, and ill also use my own cab. Those 1x15's are horrible, but convenient.

Im not sure how useful it twill be yet, but i can see its potential. I think its much better suited for home or studio use though.

Well I know the hpf is set to 40hz so that might help with keeping things tight. I noticed an audible difference even playing through studio monitors.

I had that on last night and it did seem to do something with my tone. I wouldn't say it was a huge improvement, certainly not as much as backing off the low knob on my bass, but its nice to have a safety net i guess.

I do intend to use the Q/strip for a few instruments so its not just for bass.

1 hour ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Bonus round: pair it with a Hudson broadcast to have both a neve preamp front end with neve eq!

Or a Way Huge Pork Loin, which i believe is also based on the Neve front end.

Edited by dave_bass5

I finally got around to playing with my Q/strip at home last night. Just Bass- Q/S - Zoom B3n in bypass mode and headphones. Ok, so its an EQ, not really much to expect. Plugged The Sire V7 in and had a play. Very powerful but i found the best tones were almost flat on the boosts. I never really had a 'wow' moment but i can see it potential. Saying that, even with it off and using my normal Zoom presets i wasn't feeling it last night.

I thought id drag the P bass out for a quick go, not played it for months.....WOW, there it is!!!!. I was amazed by how much a small turn on the two mid freq's can go from almost both pups on Jazz tone, to  bridge only growl pup, on my P bass. Obviously all the tones in between, but im really, really impressed with this box. I still realise its nothing really special, its just EQ, and all this may not translate donkey well to using it with a rig in a band situation, but its so easy to tweak to get quite different tones that im really over the moon with it.  

So, back to playing P bass again, although i will miss the B sting. Might invest in a Sire P bass at some point.

This obviously delays it going in to the Classifieds for a few months now :-)

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 23/10/2017 at 23:30, Dood said:

Not surprisingly, I've had my mits on one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqSMMLsr4yM

I thought it was great and would love to get one on my own board when finances allow.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but it seemed a better idea than starting a new one. :).

I'm seriously considering adding a parametric EQ pedal to my setup.  @Dood's review on the Q\Strip is excellent but does anyone have any thoughts / experience in comparing it  with the Empress ParaEQ

I don't necessarily need the DI features of the Q\Strip just the EQ.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but it seemed a better idea than starting a new one. :).

I'm seriously considering adding a parametric EQ pedal to my setup.  @Dood's review on the Q\Strip is excellent but does anyone have any thoughts / experience in comparing it  with the Empress ParaEQ

I don't necessarily need the DI features of the Q\Strip just the EQ.

Thank you :) I really appreciate that. it's been a week from hell, so this was a nice lift.

• Like 1