Why become a member? ×

New Tech21 Q\Strip.

Painy

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1490721495' post='3267402']
Their take on the JHS Colour box?
[/quote]

Not really. I haven't had first hand experience with that box (JHS Clour Box) but it is designed to get "intentional" distortion. According to the description on their website it has an extra gain stage in series. It looks like a cool box. The Q\Strip is designed to be a vintage styled EQ. A powerful tone shaping tool. You can also use the LPF filter and EQ for speaker simulation.

Edited by Tech21NYC

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1492549809' post='3281208']
Would like to see a side by side comparison with the VT pedal, just to see what your getting for twice the price.
[/quote]

But it's not the same type of thing at all so a bit apples and pears...

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1492549809' post='3281208']
Would like to see a side by side comparison with the VT pedal, just to see what your getting for twice the price.
[/quote]

They are not comparable products. The VT Bass is an amp emulator. The Q\Strip is a vintage style EQ that can be used on a multitude of sources. It doesn't have the distortion and overdrive characteristics that our SansAmp products offer.

It makes a lot of sense to have a console type EQ box even if the price is a bit steep.
But I do hav[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]e a bit of a probl[/font]em with the description below:

[color=#666666][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]"[size=4][i]The 100% analog MOSFET circuitry in the heart of the Q\Strip provides the warmth, girth and larger-than-life tones for which vintage consoles are revered. Add in four bands of pro-audio-quality equalization, two parametric mid bands, as well as high and low shelving filters, and you have incredible control over how your instrument cuts through on stage or in a mix"[/i][/size][/size][/font][/color]

[size=4]So the two mid bands are more accurately semi parametric given that there is no switchable or variable Q / Bandwidth control - but that's a minor quibble.[/size]

But I have to doubt the bit about MOSFET circuitry to give the characteristics of vintage consoles.
I'm reasonably familiar with the technology of such consoles from 60s/70s - both UK and USA origin - but not aware of widespread use of MOSFET devices in Channel EQs. Whilst small signal (as opposed to Power devices) MOSFETS can be used for audio work, in my experience the console EQs tend to be based around Bipolar transistors as the active components (maybe JFET but these used more for signal switching in desks toward the end of this era).
More than prepared to be corrected on this as I'd be interested to learn of MOSFET based desks...

Of course, the important thing is the sound that comes out of it ...

Edited by rmorris

The Q\Strip was inspired by those old vintage console EQ's but it is a unique design. The intention was that it would be a "musical" vs "surgical" type of product. While having different Q parameters might come in handy for a mastering engineer we chose a medium Q that makes the most sense for musical instrument applications.

The use of Mosfets was intentional for the sonic benefits, low noise and also so the unit could be phantom powered. Bipolar transistors would be too power hungry.

In the end I would suggest trying one. Specifications are meaningless if you aren't happy with the tone or ease of use.

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1492700521' post='3282516']
The Q\Strip was inspired by those old vintage console EQ's but it is a unique design. The intention was that it would be a "musical" vs "surgical" type of product. While having different Q parameters might come in handy for a mastering engineer we chose a medium Q that makes the most sense for musical instrument applications.

The use of Mosfets was intentional for the sonic benefits, low noise and also so the unit could be phantom powered. Bipolar transistors would be too power hungry.

In the end I would suggest trying one. Specifications are meaningless if you aren't happy with the tone or ease of use.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. It does clarify things a fair bit wrt the transistors. I agree the specs' aren't the important thing but the advertising references the technology and 'inspiration' so the question arises.Good point about the limited power available via phantom.
Hopefully you'll get the idea through that it's not a Sansamp type AmpSim unit :-)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1496144144' post='3309057']
I was close a few weeks ago... But prymaxe won't ship Tech21 pedals outside US and I'm not paying the UK price for one! Bought a used vt bass deluxe instead for my IEM setup...
[/quote]

I also had a look at a US store but it was the same, they wouldn't ship it outside the US, $250.00 is a lot cheaper than £329.00 even after import tax and VAT!

• 4 months later...