Why become a member? ×

New Tech21 Q\Strip.

Painy

17 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

The Q/strip is a lovely EQ, very versatile, but that's all it really is. Its not ideal as a speaker sim, it just attenuates the top end. When i had mine i found my BDDI to be a much more capable 'amp sim' for recording and used at the end of the chain.

Live it worked much better but at the start of the chain, and then i let my various pedals shape the tone as it passed through the system.

Understood on the cab sim limitations.  I was just using the cab sim settings with a few tweaks from the manual, to be honest I just liked the tone, how it corresponded to an actual cab I'm not sure!  I will try it out at the front of the chain over the weekend.  Live is a whole other thing, I've no prospect of playing live again for some time, so I won't consider that yet.

Hope it works for you buddy, maybe with Q strip first.

Other option is to run the Qstrip and pedals just into the power amp of the amplifier through send/return and ignore its pre-amp, maybe as an exercise in seeing which component gives you what.

The. When all else fails get a Tech21 DP3x pedal!

• Like 1

I feeling a bit happier today, i still haven't got the tone I wanted but I'm on the way and can now see it's possible.  To cut a long story short I needed to set the EQ controls on the VMTD flat and set the boost to off on the B3K, also the grunt setting onto thin from Raw, at least for now.  That gets me in the ballpark but I've got some work to do yet.  Be a while before I report back on this - I haven't even had time to swap the order yet!

• Like 1

The Q\Strip is very capable as an analog speaker sim if set correctly. I'm not familiar with the other pedals you mentioned. For a speaker sim, it's best to use after any distortion producing pedals. You should obviously have the LPF engaged. You need to make sure everything is gain staged correctly as you could be getting fizz from overloading the interface. If you're running a number of pedals in series you want to set the gain structures so you have unity gain.

Here is a video showing the Q\Strip as a speaker sim in action.

Edited by Tech21NYC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2