Why become a member? ×

New Tech21 Q\Strip.

Painy

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1508796648' post='3394551']
This has been out for 9 months+ now. It does look useful / desirable. Anyone got one and become a die-hard fan or alternatively moved it on? Also be interested if anyone (krispn?) has A/B'd this with a Broughton LPF/HPF?
[/quote]

Hey Bas
This is more of a Neve type pre amp, an emulation of which I use in my DAW. The channel strip type effect is super versatile so you can sculpt away at your sound to achieve the desired effect. The Neve strip I use in the DAW is effing class. I was using it to beef up some drums my mate recorded in his kitchen - the difference with some subtle EQ from the 'Neve' was very noticeable.

Get in touch with Darren from fxpedalrental - he's got the Q Strip for s little as £16 quid for a week. Worth a punt I'd say to scratch an itch!
https://fxpedalrental.com/rent-preamps.html

The LPF/HPF will reduce the top end sizzle or reduce the boominess of the bottom end. Like with a lot of these HPF/LPF they can make your cab work more efficiently, compensate for a room etc. The Q Strip will do that and more too. The Omni Cab Sim is another product which I see on more and more pedal boards often in conjunction with Darkglass gear - possibly due to helping sculpt the tone - it's basically a fancy EQ which will achieve the cab characteristics of different types of cab so maybe not what you're ultimately after but again worth a look just in case. Link below.

There is altogether too much gear to lust after!!

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jWYtJmBIo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=h1jWYtJmBIo[/url]

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

@dood and @krispn; cheers both and very helpful as ever.

I think that the one thing that's probably going to hold me back with the Q\Strip (as it seems to have with just about everyone else?) is the cost of the pedal which at >£300 (and no amount of itch scratching is going to change that!); whereas a Broughton HPF can be got for one third the price. I appreciate that the Broughton HPF is a one trick pony as compared to the Q\Strip but I've already got a both a VPF (mid scoop) and VLE (vintage) dials on my Mbass amp, so I'm probably only needing that one trick!

And as dood (and Osiris!) will not doubt advise, the right place to start is probably my Zoom B3n, which I've just checked has a 7 band EQ so I should hopefully be able to do something about the boomy / muddy low end with that without needing to splash out any further, but it will be interesting to see how effective the B3n is in comparison to your Broughton HPF/LPF, for sure, krispn.

@[quote name='DangerDan' timestamp='1508840653' post='3394730']
@Al - the B3n has a hpf too, its in the low eq, you can just change from shelf to HPF, and it is sweepable frequency. Not sure what the exact attenuation is though.
[/quote]

Thanks - yup yes just checked and the Zoom B3n also has a 1-band parametric equalizer:

Sweepable frequency 20Hz to 20khz Q
Q adjusts equalizer 0.5 to 16.0
Gain -20.0 to +20.0

I'm not entirely sure what the "Q" does, but I'll have a tinker! So if I set the sweepable frequency to 40Hz this becomes a dedicated HPF and if I dial the gain down to -10 or less, this should eliminate the low end / sub-sonic boominess. The advantage of the 7 band GEQ is I can do something a little more comprehensive across a number of frequency ranges although they each "only" have a gain range of -12 to +12, so if Zoom are being consistent with their calibrations that sounds like the 1 band will be more effective / powerful in relation to a specific HPF role.

The Q will be the bredth of the band you are equalising (i.e -its a paremetric eq so adjustable range as well as frequency).

I use a ten band mxr eq nearish the front of my chain, but i also use the low eq on my B3n in HPF mode at the end of my chain just to cut out any subsonics i dont want.

[quote name='DangerDan' timestamp='1508845753' post='3394783']
The Q will be the bredth of the band you are equalising (i.e -its a paremetric eq so adjustable range as well as frequency). I use a ten band mxr eq nearish the front of my chain, but i also use the low eq on my B3n in HPF mode at the end of my chain just to cut out any subsonics i dont want.
[/quote]

Perfect, thanks! (My B3n is mid chain, but hey...)

Q is ‘best’ used this narrow q for cutting frequencies and a broad q for boosting. The gentle boost of surrounding frequencies is nice where as narrow sharp q boosts can be a bit harsh and less musical. Sounds like you have a fun week ahead messing about with toys. I recall doing the same and having a real good time mixing and mucking about with learning about eq.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1508845045' post='3394775']
Gain -20.0 to +20.0

I'm not entirely sure what the "Q" does, but I'll have a tinker!
[/quote]

'Q' is a measure of the bandwidth of a filter. The higher the Q the more selective the filter.
Rough Guide: Lower Q values = broader filter curve and tend to sound more natural. High Q values for targetting (cutting) particular 'problem' frequencies / resonances.

I just saw others had answered along the same lines as I didn't see the second page.

Edited by rmorris

Great demo by Dood, and imo a great all round pedal. If I spent a lot of time in the studio/needed a lot of tone-shaping I`d be all over one of these. Alas, one sound only for me, which my trusty Tech21 Para Driver already gives, so no need of one of these (but a good deal of want, lol).

• 1 month later...
On 16/12/2017 at 15:36, Briton said:

I have had mine for 3 months now and I am well happy with it. Like members have previously stated this is not an amp simulation pedal from Tech21 like the VT Bass and Character series pedals,but it is a vintage style EQ which is the reason why I purchased it in the first place. No Gain control but you can still get a good distorted tone out of it by adjusting the four mid knobs Mid 1, Mid 2 and the two corresponding Shift knobs. Other functions are similar to other Tech21 products like a XLR Phantom & Ground Connect, a 1/4" +10db out and a -20db XLR out.One of the best features of the Q\Strip are the HP and LP filters and believe me these come in very handy.

I would advise members to take a look at dood's you tube video which is the first post on this page where Dan gives a good twenty minute review of the Q\Strip using only a Bass Guitar. It is the best video out there for this pedal.

Thank you! I really do appreciate the kind words @Briton. I adore my job, I love doing reviews. I want to show what these pieces of gear can do without the BS. My personal ‘mantra’ if you will, is always “No Shred, No Ego, Just Bass.” The @Tech21NYC Q/Strip was a particular favourite pedal and when I have the cash, I’ll probably buy one.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2017 at 17:00, rmorris said:

Gain -20.0 to +20.0

I'm not entirely sure what the "Q" does, but I'll have a tinker!

'Q' is a measure of the bandwidth of a filter. The higher the Q the more selective the filter.
Rough Guide: Lower Q values = broader filter curve and tend to sound more natural. High Q values for targetting (cutting) particular 'problem' frequencies / resonances.

I just saw others had answered along the same lines as I didn't see the second page.

Q is short for quality where a notch or peak is narrow it is deemed to be high quality as in feedback destroyers. From memory lower “Q” value is higher quality but It is 49 odd years  since I studied active filters as my College project so I could be wrong,

• 1 month later...

I've just ordered one of these (on a whim). My Mate has just got one and raves about it, even his Dingwall sounds better apparently. Hoping it will replace my BDDI. I realised ive been using the BDDI mainly for EQ, as i have a Pork Loin for dirt, so having even more EQ is going to be fantastic.......in theory. Not a cheap thing to buy just for a bit of EQ, but it does look lovely IMO, especially those red knobs lol.

Oh, and @dood, yet more money spent after watching one of your video reviews ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

I've just ordered one of these (on a whim). My Mate has just got one and raves about it, even his Dingwall sounds better apparently. Hoping it will replace my BDDI. I realised ive been using the BDDI mainly for EQ, as i have a Pork Loin for dirt, so having even more EQ is going to be fantastic.......in theory. Not a cheap thing to buy just for a bit of EQ, but it does look lovely IMO, especially those red knobs lol.

Oh, and Dan, yet more money spent after watching one of your video reviews ;-)

Thank you :) - I really do want one of my own too actually! 

12 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Use shipito.com and you can forward any parcel on for a $2 fee. If the place offers free US shipping then it's not much different than ordering direct, just without the restrictions!

Danny - you've mentioned these guys before, I think,  and it does sound really interesting / neat. Obviously their shipping charges to the UK are more than $2 though? If you've got a mo, would you mind giving an example of typical costs of how it would work to buy something from a store in the US that doesn't normally ship to the UK using shipto.com? What insurance / guarantees to you get etc.?

4 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Oh, and @dood, yet more money spent after watching one of your video reviews ;-)

PS congratulations, these do look like great pedals and the para EQ should also be really useful. Being 'broke' didn't last too long did it? :P

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

PS congratulations, these do look like great pedals and the para EQ should also be really useful. Being 'broke' didn't last too long did it? :P

Haha, cheers. Ive just got the refund from the DK Vintage Ulta, so I’m actually £50 in credit still. If it works out ill sell the BDDI and VTBass, so ill easily break even. 

Should be here tomorrow and I have a part band rehearsal tomorrow night. Cant wait to get to hear it. I had the Para driver in the past, and while I loved it I found I was forever tweaking it. Too many EQ options and I never really settled on anything. I had to sell it for pice of mind. I’m just hoping I don’t go the same way with the Q/strip. Now I have a pedal board and don’t put my pedals on the amp it will be harder to keep playing with it, so that’s a good thing. I don’t tend to play with the BDDI EQ much anyway.