Why become a member? ×

Lefty Dingwall Basses

JohnR

I just received an email update from Dingall as a follow up to a question I asked. Here is the relevant part:

"[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Good news. Sheldon has approved a left hand design for the NG2 and Combustion. We are waiting for a prototype. We have no set date for the release but it's in the works."[/size][/font]

I will buy one of these the very minute it is available.

John

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, definitely. When I was talking to him, 18 months ago, I banged on (and whined!) about the non-existence of lefty Dingwalls, and he said that he wanted to produce some, but that would imply getting entirely new tools for most tasks, so he would start production once the company's finances allowed it. I take it as a good sign, then, that he's done it. I'm seriously thinking of killing my GAS forever by buying one! :D

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes and no, as I think is clear from my post. At first play it doesn't seem to be particularly suitable to my petite frame, hence my trouble getting to grips with it.

I want to have another, more thorough look at the bass itself, spending more time with it in a less busy and noisy environment, at the first opportunity. 

I can imagine your issue with left hand placement. It's fine on the lower strings, but on the high strings you're plucking closer to the bridge. For me it would miss a neck pickup as well, but mostly tonally. I would love to have a go on an NG3! 

• Like 1

Just interesting as I've read lots of people saying they immediately got on with fan frets no issue, yet I've always been sceptical. Maybe they're justifying the huge investment in a weird looking bass?? :) Seems your review is more realistic, it takes time, patience and some quiet around you to get to know it. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Or the Dingwall thread on Talkbass - Sheldon appears there frequently to answer questions too.

They might be on sale soon - but if you want an order it'll be over a year's wait, so best bet is to pick one of the stock they will surely make to satisfy the popular options.