Why become a member? ×

TOP THREE!

Cabal

[quote name='cd_david' post='314103' date='Oct 24 2008, 07:57 PM']These are the only three i can think of off the top of my head! :)

1. Geddy Lee-Ali-McMordie-Mike-Rutherford-Jimmy-Johnson-Billy-Gould,

2. John Taylor-Victor-Wooten-Mark-King-Lemmy-Paul-Simonom-Bernard-Edwards,

3. John Entwistle-Les-Clypool-Seggs-Bruce-Thomas.

Dave[/quote]

Forgot MUZZ SKILLINGS!

If you put my feet to the fire today I'd probably say Lemmy, Chris Squire and Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow, but up there with them would be Stanley Clarke, Jean Jacques Burnel, John Entwistle, Stuart Zender, Mike Rutherford, Rutger Gunnarson and John McVie....and loads of others.

[quote name='Beedster' post='314448' date='Oct 25 2008, 11:56 AM']Taste's a funny thing isn't it Nik! You're probably right about Zender not being an innovator, although you could argue he successfully synthesised the styles of the several great '70s funksters you mention, and you could argue that a new synthesis is in fact innovation.
Then again, you could also justifiably say that I'm talking complete b*llocks :)
Now, Mr Entwhistle. With few exceptions I always found his lines complex but predictable, a bit like listening to Mozart, you know what's coming next (OK, in both cases the exceptions are pretty exceptional). I also find Who songs [i]generally[/i] relatively easy to play, despite the apparent complexity of the lines. However, I find Jamerson, Flea and Zender's lines mostly pretty susrprising and way different to what I would instinctively have put down (although I have to say that having spent some time listening to lots of Motown recently I'm starting to see a pattern in Jamerson, it's a it of a chaotic patern for sure, but it's certainly there). I'm not for one second saying Entwhistle wasn't one of the greats, he was, but then so are all the others mentioned in all the posts above.
Except McCartney of course :huh:
Chris[/quote]
Yes, taste is a funny thing.. I mean; you don't like Jazz basses, so that blots your copybook for a start!! :huh:

That's definitely a good point... the way Stuart Zender has achieved that synthesis is really good and he has also inspired a lot of players to pick up the bass, so that on it's own gives him a lot of credibility.. My problem is I just can't stand JK or his music so I find listening to Zender difficult because of that barrier..

Your point about Mozart (and this is going way off topic) is one I've heard before, but I'm a huge Leonard Bernstein fan and he rates Mozart as the absolute master of masters, so that's good enough for me! All I can say is you're lucky if you find The Who's stuff easy to play :huh: I still think that Entwhistle in the 60's was way ahead of his time.

As far as McCartney goes, I'd much rather have his talent than Zender or Fleas's for example.. He's written some of the best songs of the last 100 years and been a member of the most influential band of all time and you can't do much better than that really!

Jamerson will always be first for me - one of the few that I can listen purely to the bass without any other instrumentation at all.

Rocco Prestia is my favourite live bass man - I could watch him all evening.

Third place is tougher - gotta be somewhere between Stanley & Bootzilla, again, both can be great live (although Stan has lost his 'edge' these days i think)

[quote name='rayfw' post='314457' date='Oct 25 2008, 11:10 AM']That is soooo damn funky. I just had to grab a bass and start playing along.
Thanks for the linkage. Do you have any more stuff by him?[/quote]

Theres only one other proper clip of Sharay Reed:

Some more from the same gig:

Thats Maurice Fitzgerald on bass.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='314778' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:34 PM']Yes, taste is a funny thing..

As far as McCartney goes, I'd much rather have his talent than Zender or Fleas's for example.. He's written some of the best songs of the last 100 years and been a member of the most influential band of all time and you can't do much better than that really![/quote]

[quote name='craigjf1969' post='314781' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:48 PM']1.Sir Paul McCartney

2.Mark King

3.Flea[/quote]

Light blue touch paper and retire! :huh:

Come on, I admit the Beatles wrote some good songs but lets not get carried away,

McCartney is one of the most pedestrian bass players ive had the misfortune to listen to. It seems to me his "rank"amongst bass players is built more on nostalgia and his membership in a famous band than on his ability.

I love SLF but would never state that Ali McMordie is the best player.

Yes, I know my opinion is worthless etc but come on, you have to admit there is better than him about???
I await the barrage of "but what about choice of notes" etc LOL :)

Dave, tongue firmly pressed in cheek,

[quote name='Josh' post='314864' date='Oct 26 2008, 06:45 AM']Theres only one other proper clip of Sharay Reed:

Some more from the same gig:

Thats Maurice Fitzgerald on bass.[/quote]

Well I'm in a rush so I watched the middle clip...funky! That's unfortunately [i]the[/i] tone I hate though. I know, I know, it's probably just me.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='314778' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:34 PM']As far as McCartney goes, I'd much rather have his talent than Zender or Fleas's for example.. He's written some of the best songs of the last 100 years and been a member of the most influential band of all time and you can't do much better than that really![/quote]

Now Nicholas, the fact that he's written some of the best songs of the last 100 years (questionable) and been a member of [i]one of [/i]the (not [i]the[/i]) most influential bands of all time, does not make him a great bass player. I suspect you're cleverly trying to get me to rate Entwhistle by getting me to campare him with Macca :)
Looking forward to discussing over beers on Dec 11th!
Chris

[quote name='cd_david' post='315061' date='Oct 26 2008, 01:59 PM']Light blue touch paper and retire! :huh:

Come on, I admit the Beatles wrote some good songs but lets not get carried away,

McCartney is one of the most pedestrian bass players ive had the misfortune to listen to. It seems to me his "rank"amongst bass players is built more on nostalgia and his membership in a famous band than on his ability.

I love SLF but would never state that Ali McMordie is the best player.

Yes, I know my opinion is worthless etc but come on, you have to admit there is better than him about???
I await the barrage of "but what about choice of notes" etc LOL :)

Dave, tongue firmly pressed in cheek,[/quote]

The reassuring thing when I hear other bassists write off McCartney as a significant player is it means I can ignore their opinions on anything else because they clearly don't get 'it'. I thus won't try to explain why he matters but will recommend visiting Sgt Pepper for enlightenment. 'It' is not that hidden - the combination of groove, tone, melodic and harmonic ideas is up there with the very best.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='315386' date='Oct 26 2008, 09:57 PM']The reassuring thing when I hear other bassists write off McCartney as a significant player is it means I can ignore their opinions on anything else because they clearly don't get 'it'. I thus won't try to explain why he matters but will recommend visiting Sgt Pepper for enlightenment. 'It' is not that hidden - the combination of groove, tone, melodic and harmonic ideas is up there with the very best.

Alex[/quote]

Must have missed it in the 30,000 or so times I've listened to it :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='315376' date='Oct 26 2008, 09:36 PM']Now Nicholas, the fact that he's written some of the best songs of the last 100 years (questionable) and been a member of [i]one of [/i]the (not [i]the[/i]) most influential bands of all time, does not make him a great bass player. I suspect you're cleverly trying to get me to rate Entwhistle by getting me to campare him with Macca :)
Looking forward to discussing over beers on Dec 11th!
Chris[/quote]
This whole internet forum discussion thingy is built on the premise that [i]everything's[/i] questionable.. None of us would be here otherwise, as we're all opinionated bar stewards! :huh:

IMO, Macca's a great bass player because what he plays brings out the best in the song..

[quote name='alexclaber' post='315386' date='Oct 26 2008, 09:57 PM']The reassuring thing when I hear other bassists write off McCartney as a significant player is it means I can ignore their opinions on anything else because they clearly don't get 'it'. I thus won't try to explain why he matters but will recommend visiting Sgt Pepper for enlightenment. 'It' is not that hidden - the combination of groove, tone, melodic and harmonic ideas is up there with the very best.[/quote]

Dull and un-inventive album always trotted out by Beatles fans as their primary defence, some decent songs granted but groove???? Jameson spins in his grave with greater feel than McCartney ever play, and i do "get it" I just dont think his playing was historically or currently that good.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='315493' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:55 AM']IMO, Macca's a great bass player because what he plays brings out the best in the song..[/quote]

What roots 3rds and 5ths, or 12 bar? :huh:

:) :huh: :huh: :unsure:

Edited by cd_david

[quote name='cd_david' post='315513' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:36 AM']Dull and un-inventive album always trotted out by Beatles fans as their primary defence, some decent songs granted but groove???? Jameson spins in his grave with greater feel than McCartney ever play, and i do "get it" I just dont think his playing was historically or currently that good.

What roots 3rds and 5ths, or 12 bar? :huh:

:huh: :huh: :unsure: :lol:[/quote]

+1 on all of that :)

The Beatles, Legendary no question. They deserve respect and have earnt it and for what they have accomplished I respect them greatly.

But, like many, I dislike the music very highly, their playing was nothing exceptional or impressive at all, Macca never really stood out in most songs besides from being left handed (And that only really applies for live shows or videos).

But why some can't accept that even though I admitt high respect for them which IMO is all you need, I'll never know.

[quote name='cd_david' post='315513' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:36 AM']Dull and un-inventive album always trotted out by Beatles fans as their primary defence, some decent songs granted but groove????[/quote]

Groove is not simply being funky. McCartney's timing is so solid and his control of note lengths spot on. The same kind of skill shown by the great country bass players.

Alex