Why become a member? ×

Do all precisions sound the same

Dropzone

[quote] Do all Precisions sound the same?[/quote]

When the band starts. . . . yes.

Even if you have an extreme sound (JJ Burnell etc) or enough pedals to match the cockpit of Concord, when the band starts, you, your technique and what you choose to play are the defining criteria for being a good player and the band having a good gig or not.

OK I know there are genres that use all sorts of extreme sounds, but in those you're probably hearing the pedals rather than the actual bass. In the rest of the playing world, good players are judged on what they play rather than what they sound like. Even when the best bass players in the world are chosen for recording they will probably all use the same make of P bass. The basses mostly sound the same but the players all sound different.

I hear you, but could you imagine Steve Harris without his signature sound, which I suspect has significantly influenced the whole metal scene to either sound like Maiden or not sound like maiden. I need to look up what a Wizard Thumper is before I get arrested...

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1490605119' post='3266239']
I hear you, but could you imagine Steve Harris without his signature sound,
[/quote]

I agree. There are always exceptions, but I bet he'd sound 95% like Steve Harris on any P bass.

the only exception I can think off is J J Burnel, he couldn't get the same sound on any other P bass when he broke his Green P in half, he had it repaired and still has it and, presumably it doesn't sound the same as it used too because he never uses it as far as I know anyway, but I'm only guessing and am happy to be corrected

depends on a variety of factors like the pickups, tone pots, strings etc. What I do think is that most Precisions can in some way or the other emulate a certain growl, but i don't think I could get say a Motown type punchy sound out of mine without proper application as it isn't built for it

Nice - kind of wish he'd have chucked that white CS he's got in there too just to see how that compared to the Moolon as the prices are similar but I guess he'd have had to do a load more string changes to make them comparable which would have been a pain.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1490968600' post='3269487']
Scott just put up a nice video where he compares a couple of P-baases, admitedly one is a lot more expensive than the other.
Jump to about 6 mins in if you want to skip the chit chat.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YarWwi7gRqI[/media]
[/quote]

Beat me to it...I was just about to post this...

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1490968600' post='3269487']
Scott just put up a nice video where he compares a couple of P-baases, admitedly one is a lot more expensive than the other.
Jump to about 6 mins in if you want to skip the chit chat.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YarWwi7gRqI[/media]
[/quote]
To me the Fender sounded more mushy in the ringing (or not) of the notes. The Moollon rang clearer. But then, that matters to me as I play solo. If you're playing in a band, it probably doesn't matter too much really, does it?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1490973297' post='3269543']
To me the Fender sounded more mushy in the ringing (or not) of the notes. The Moollon rang clearer. But then, that matters to me as I play solo. If you're playing in a band, it probably doesn't matter too much really, does it?
[/quote]

Yes, tho I still think you get some of that extra in the clang in the mix even with the band, if that was what you were looking for.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1490973297' post='3269543']

[/quote]

That's most likely down to the Quarter Pounders, they have such a beefy sound compared to regular Fender style pickups. I have a P with them and a couple with Fender pickups, and for me in a recording situation the QP's sound perfect, but live they can sound really harsh, especially in a boomy room or through a crap amp. Fender pickups sound less ballsy for recording but they can cope with bad rooms and amps much better than the QPs.

As an aside, for anyone finding QPs a bit much, backing off the volume on the bass gets it really close to sounding like a regular Fender pickup, both in terms of tone and volume.

I've got a few precisions and they all sound different solo'd, and although I can hear a difference in each of them onstage when playing live, I very much doubt whether the difference is noticeable out front.

Here are a few I still have.

Edited by thebrig

For me most of the difference is in the playability.
Sounds are all very similar if we are talking USA but the neck on an original 62 Vs my reissue is huge even though the reissue is supposed to be identical. But the reissue still has that grunt.

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1490740532' post='3267651']
My 64 and 74 Ps sound quite different... One is a bit fatter and gnarlier, and a little more articulate, the other is deeper, more boomy and less grindy.....
[/quote]

Great clip, great isolation.

Couldn't hear a bit of difference between the basses.

Blue