Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

10 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

On a curious side note, I found the 435 to be much nicer-sounding than the 735, although most seem to think it’s the other way round. Didn’t like the matt black painted neck on the 736, either.

The 434 is indeed a fine instrument. I have had a 1024 and a 1025 both were fantastic but I can remember trying a 424 in PMT and being blown away by the p bass sound it produced. some people here have picked 434s up for as low as £299 which is a ridiculous bargain. considering the quality, also the fact that you can now swap the pups out for std . p and J sets mean if stock is not your sound you can easily remedy it and have a fine bass for not much money.

The 734 I picked as it also gives me the option of having active sounds in the one package

23 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Good parallel. And I presume the analogy extends to the 1200S except that is a neck through as the key differentiator to the 1100S?

1200s and 1100s have many differences beyond neck through vs bolt on. Number of pickups, orientation of the p pickup, bridge. 1200s doesn’t have the eq switch, it’s a passive/active toggle. 

I have a '92 Made in Taiwan BB1100s. It plays beautifully and is very well put together. My only gripe is that despite it being fitted with a P-bass pickup in the correct position, it can't quite produce that classic P-bass tone and more often than not ends up as a back-up to my P-bass

8D4ABB1B-6BC1-4DE2-844F-954B4620B86A.thumb.jpeg.063c59cd9bf41e4dcf78dc378e3a15a4.jpeg

On 20/12/2018 at 09:08, hypercarrots said:

BB5000 came out at the end of 1984. I think BB1100s came out about the same time. Earlier BB1100s serial I’ve seen dates to 1985. 

It seems to me that the BB5000 is essentially a neck through version of my BB1025? They BB5000 does seem a pretty rare beast these days (come up even less often than the BB1200S) and if you're going for super rare how about the BB5000A (which would be more up my street) or go one further and check out the BB5000A fretless :)

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It seems to me that the BB5000 is essentially a neck through version of my BB1025? They BB5000 does seem a pretty rare beast these days (come up even less often than the BB1200S) and if you're going for super rare how about the BB5000A (which would be more up my street) or go one further and check out the BB5000A fretless :)

Different body construction, dimensions, number of frets, fretboard wood, bridge, tuners, pickups, factory etc. Simplifying it by saying one Yamaha 5 string is a bolt on version of another Yamaha 5 string made decades ago is too broad for me but if you want to generalise it like that it could be valid from a certain point of view. 

2 minutes ago, hypercarrots said:

Different body construction, dimensions, number of frets, fretboard wood, bridge, tuners, pickups, factory etc. Simplifying it by saying one Yamaha 5 string is a bolt on version of another Yamaha 5 string made decades ago is too broad for me but if you want to generalise it like that it could be valid from a certain point of view. 

Haha fair riposte! 

I hear you - they look similar, are both passive basses and have Yamaha BB on the head, BUT... 😄 

here are my BB basses a 614 a 424x and my bb1000s,i only have the bb1000s left now I sold the other two I never really got on with the 424x different feel to the neck,the 614 had a really nice neck but the sound wasn't my thing.the bb1000s is a really nice sounding bass and even the j pickup is good.

DSCF5734.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:10, jrixn1 said:

Yes, I have two of the new series and they are the only basses I play now.  

DSCF5483.jpg

Now really tempted to get the 735A, especially after Cam confirmed it can do that lush treble dialled off tone that the 1025 does so well (and I could maybe think of trading in my 1025 at that point).

But I can't just can't get over how much better the colour of the 435 looks though, particularly with that bespoke tort pick guard you've had made up - and it's definitely annoying that the same colour (or white!) is not available for the 735A! Let's maybe see what additional options surface following NAMM 2019...

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Let's maybe see what additional options surface following NAMM 2019...

Are you not committed to a self-imposed 2019 gear acquisition ban though?! xD

Also, I’m very much considering getting a couple of custom plates made up for my matte black 735a. Most likely anodised gold and cream pearl...

Edited by CameronJ

7 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Are you not committed to a self-imposed 2019 gear acquisition ban though?! xD

Also, I’m very much considering getting a couple of custom plates made up for my matte black 735a. Most likely anodised gold and cream pearl...

I've decided that "one in one out" is going to be much more fun (and realistic!) than a hair shirt approach of avoiding any "new" gear in 2019. 

Edited by Al Krow