Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

8 minutes ago, MoJo said:

I don't know whether I should watch this or not. It could end up in divorce and me homeless, busking a BB2025X

Many folk consider having a spouse to be expensive and over-rated.

BB2025s on the other hand...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely the BB2024/2024x were selling new for around £1500. I nearly pulled the trigger on one at £1395 (regrets...).

I have a P34 now and have owned a few 1024x. The latter is a really great bass and superb value at the pricepoint, especially secondhand. The P34 is spot on though. There is not a single flaw in the finish/set-up/fret dress etc. The hardware is super high quality (not that the 1024x is poor).

Would that all add up to £800/£1000 of difference if we're assuming the same refinements apply in the 2024 world? For me, probably not. Definitely not at the current prices I've seen new models advertised at which are more on a par with some of the boutique, custom order basses you can get. Secondhand difference £1300 v £450? I'd personally have three 1024x in white, caramel and sunburst. Or maybe just one and pocket the cash.

The P34 is much more realistically priced new. I just wish there were a couple more colour options.

• Like 3

On 25/02/2019 at 13:39, TJ Spicer said:

All they need is some white paint for at least two sales... 🤔

TJ got me thinking that the only thing holding a couple of us back from getting a 735A is that they're not currently offering it in white. Well I suspect that's not going to be insurmountable is it? 😉

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2elliot said:

If that white and maple 're appears I'm buying it. I missed out last time it was for sale... 

Yeah, I’m out of the game for a while. A BEX 4C I should have never sold has come up for sale - the guy who bought it has had a custom build based upon it and it’s now gathering dust...not for long 😉

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MoJo said:

Why the P over the 2024?

Both great basses, great features but for me personally, the P has more desirable features Inc weighing less, I like the mitre neck joint, comes cased and with warranty. Each to their own but I'd go for the P 

I've been a member of the BB club for about a year, ever since I got a BB424. It was mostly for home practice purposes but the range of tones coming out of it ment I started taking it to more and more rehearsals because it sits so well in the mix. When we started doing more songs in dropped tunings, Eb but occasionally D, I was faced with a choice. Take three bases to rehearsals and gigs (including a fretless) or get a 5 string.

So when @redbandit599put his BB1025x up for sale, I bit the bullet. We met up at the obligatory dodgy car park this morning and made the trade. And since I got back, I haven't been able to put it down. I thought the BB424 had a massive range of tones but this is frankly ridiculous. I've been playing it mostly with both pickups on, volume on full and tone about half way up. But put it on the P pickup, and you get a great precision type rumble. 

Given the 'pictures or it never happened' rule, I post this as evidence of my modest BB collection. 

20190309_163151.jpg

Edited by AdrianP
  • Like 5

On 01/03/2019 at 14:18, Al Krow said:

TJ got me thinking that the only thing holding a couple of us back from getting a 735A is that they're not currently offering it in white. Well I suspect that's not going to be insurmountable is it? 😉

I've got a reunion gig coming up later in the year for a band whose first gig was 30 years ago; we're rehearsing (casually, on a monthly basis) for it at the moment, and it's become very apparent that I'm gonna need a white BB for the gig - I sold the white BB3000A I used exclusively for that band a while back, having held onto it for 20+ years. Yep, I regret that one...

Given that it's really only gonna get used for a single gig, something like that 2024mx (which I nearly bought last time) is gonna be a bit OTT, so I'm thinking a white 1024...we'll see...

36 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I've got a reunion gig coming up later in the year for a band whose first gig was 30 years ago; we're rehearsing (casually, on a monthly basis) for it at the moment, and it's become very apparent that I'm gonna need a white BB for the gig - I sold the white BB3000A I used exclusively for that band a while back, having held onto it for 20+ years. Yep, I regret that one...

Given that it's really only gonna get used for a single gig, something like that 2024mx (which I nearly bought last time) is gonna be a bit OTT, so I'm thinking a white 1024...we'll see...

I’ve just sold a white 1100s, would’ve been perfect, or

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/349007102343965/

Edited by AndyTravis

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

Am I correct in thinking you are London based? If so, I’ve got a white 1025, which you would be welcome to borrow for the gig if you don’t mind the extra string?

1 minute ago, Muzz said:

Ooooo, that 414 would work, but it's pickup frickin miles away...thanks for the heads-up, though 🙂

There’s another one somewhere else. Give me a minute 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/yamaha-bb414-bass-guitar/1332528682

Edited by AndyTravis