Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 22/02/2019 at 16:49, MoJo said:

...I may have to go on a quest to source another orange BB414 and make my own Andy Travis tribute model

...It's about time I had another orange BB414

Is it just the colour that you love? Genuinely interested in what it is about the 414 that means you prefer the 414 to a 424 or 434?

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Is it just the colour that you love? Genuinely interested in what it is about the 414 that means you prefer the 414 to a 424 or 434?

The colour is awesome.

Played for 4 hours last night, half on the 1024x (which is unbelievable) and then the second half on the 414. 

The 414 I have has a posh ABM bridge so it’s as resonant easily. It has a bit more snap (I think the bridge pickup is a gnats chuff closer to the bridge itself) - but they’re both wonderful.

i had a 425x and a 415 at the same time a few years ago and preferred the 425, no idea why. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Not tried a 434 but I preferred the neck profile on my 414’s to my 424X. I do think that black 424 pickguard looks gorgeous against the orange though

20 hours ago, Hellzero said:

My BB2025X that will soon be in the classifieds.

Very nice and 5 strings too!

Remind me - before I rush to unceremoniously upgrade my beloved vintage white BB1025 - am I correct in thinking that the key difference between this and the 2025X (other than X for pick-guard), is the sonic wood treatment it's been given and the fact that it's MIJ rather than Indonesia? I.e. all the components including woods, pups, electrics and construction are otherwise the same?

Have a vague recollection from earlier in the thread that @dannybuoy was on the lookout for one of these.

Edited by Al Krow

Here are the main specs of the BB2025X :

The 2025X basses feature bolt-on necks and passive pickups that deliver the ultimate in Rock bass tone. Pickguard, metal knobs, metal control plate add an impressive Rock look. This instrument features Yamaha's technologies such as A.R.E. and I.R.A. treatments, which focus on sound and presence. The BB2025X is the 5-string version of the BB2024X. It's low B 5th string adds a strong presence and heavy low-end tone. Overall, these basses deliver premium sound, performance, and durability.

• Spline Jointed 3-Piece Body
  • Nickel Silver Nut
  • Diagonal Body Thru Stringing
  • Maple / Mahogany 5-Piece Neck (can be Nato instead of Mahogany on BB1025)
  • A.R.E. and I.R.A. Treatment (not on BB1025)
  • Made in Japan (not on BB1025)
  • Gotoh GB1 Tuning Machines (not on BB1025)
  • 3-Ply Black Pickguard (not on BB1025)
  • Metal Control Plate (not on BB1025)
  • Metal Knobs (not on BB1025) 
  • Hardshell Case (not on BB1025)
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Hellzero said:

• Spline Jointed 3-Piece Body
  • Nickel Silver Nut
  • Diagonal Body Thru Stringing
  • Maple / Mahogany 5-Piece Neck (can be Nato instead of Mahogany on BB1025)
  • A.R.E. and I.R.A. Treatment (not on BB1025)
  • Made in Japan (not on BB1025)
  • Gotoh GB1 Tuning Machines (not on BB1025)
  • 3-Ply Black Pickguard (not on BB1025)
  • Metal Control Plate (not on BB1025)
  • Metal Knobs (not on BB1025) 
  • Hardshell Case (not on BB1025)

Not taking anything from it being a great bass it is but I guess if you already have a BB1024/5/X then the Japanese model isn't too much of an 'upgrade' ? Automatically, if you were to have a 1024/5x a few on that list wouldn't be applicable 

My personal opinion is if you already have the Indonesian model, no, based there's not a lot of difference.

Constructed in Japan, not Indonesia - meh

Mahogany and not Nato neck - hmmm

A.R.E & I.R.A treatment - ok, this is real nice! 😍

Case not a gigbag - nice but Hiscox/ABS cases would be more applicable. 

To anyone without one and interested, I'd personally say it depends on what your budget is. If I didn't have the 1025, I'd have the Japanese 2024/5.

• Like 1

@bigsmokebassI'm 100% in agreement with you.

The difference in used prices is less, but before they were discontinued the 1024/5s were around £800 and the 2024/5s over £2,000 (new prices), which was a massive differential for two essentially identical basses.

Besides, I have several hard / semi hard cases on my Yammys / Ibbys / Schecter. What do I only ever use for rehearsals and gigs? A decent quality (Yammy) gig bag! 

5 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

A.R.E & I.R.A treatment - ok, this is real nice! 😍

So £1,200 question!! This seems to be the biggest single difference between the two models.

Anyone who has had or tried both the 1024/5 and the 2024/5 able to have a go at articulating what the difference in feel / sound this produces?

• Like 1

The BB2025X retailed for £2987 GBP new !!! I understand it's expensive, but some people don't hesitate to pay twice this price for a basic Fodera, when it's absolutely not justified. The A.R.E & I.R.A treatment is, to me, worth the asking price, but you have to try one to understand the HUGE difference between this and a standard model. It's like buying a brand new Fender and compare it to a really good L series or even older.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The BB2025X retailed for £2987 GBP new !!! I understand it's expensive, but some people don't hesitate to pay twice this price for a basic Fodera, when it's absolutely not justified. The A.R.E & I.R.A treatment is, to me, worth the asking price, but you have to try one to understand the HUGE difference between this and a standard model. It's like buying a brand new Fender and compare it to a really good L series or even older.

Cheers Hellzero.

Wow - hadn't realised they were asking circa £2,000 more for the 2025s in comparison to the 1025s!!

You'll appreciate that many of us will never get to own or A/B either the 2025 or indeed a L series Fender (either out of budget constraints or a positive decision to stick with our more run of the mill models) - so if you're able to put into words what this huge difference is that the A.R.E & I.R.A treatment delivers, that would be marvellous.

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So £1,200 question!! This seems to be the biggest single difference between the two models.

Anyone who has had or tried both the 1024/5 and the 2024/5 able to have a go at articulating what the difference in feel / sound this produces?

First of all, to get it out of the way. The cases ARE a nice complement to the instrument upon what you pay and help you keep it in one piece for as long as possible, before you need a new one... That's it's job after all. Upon receipt of my BBP's one pin has already come out of the corner and lost in transit so the leather has started to 'peel' I'm not fussed because it's something that came with the bass but really... An ABS or Hiscox case (as Yamaha did use these, at least for the acoustics) to keep these better protected and last longer. (Easier and cheaper to make?)

The A.R.E. & I.R.A. is a phenomenal treatment. I simply can't really put it into much words but in both sound and feel, it vibrates in such a way it does feel alive and reacts to your playing... If you can try them, you'll know what I'm saying 😅

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

First of all, to get it out of the way. The cases ARE a nice complement to the instrument upon what you pay and help you keep it in one piece for as long as possible, before you need a new one... That's it's job after all. Upon receipt of my BBP's one pin has already come out of the corner and lost in transit so the leather has started to 'peel' I'm not fussed because it's something that came with the bass but really... An ABS or Hiscox case (as Yamaha did use these, at least for the acoustics) to keep these better protected and last longer. (Easier and cheaper to make?)

The A.R.E. & I.R.A. is a phenomenal treatment. I simply can't really put it into much words but in both sound and feel, it vibrates in such a way it does feel alive and reacts to your playing... If you can try them, you'll know what I'm saying 😅

I guess we could get half way there by trying out a BB P34/5 at a Yammy store / other retailer as they are still subject to one of either the A.R.E or the I.R.A. treatment (can't remember which, but I'm kinda hoping it's the former as the latter has all sorts of other very negative connotations as we all know!).

From what you and Hellzeo are saying - for me this has parallels of comparing bass tone to with or without a compressor i.e. subtle, but many bassists (certainly on Basschat and Talkbass) swear by them.

Hard cases - I keep all my basses on a rack, so hard cases are not really needed for storage in the Krow household. However, if that's where you keep yours or in case (excuse the pun!) you ever need to sell a bass and courier it, then I agree a hard case would come in handy! It's all been dodgy motorway service station meet-ups for me so far...

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It's all been dodgy motorway service station meet-ups for me so far...

Is that when buying selling equipment, or something more sinister? :lol:

Just as @bigsmokebass said, these treatments are just terrific. In fact, you are buying a new instrument which vibrates, responds and reacts as an instrument played for years. It's not a secret that the dryer, older and stable the woods are, xthe better they interact with your playing and that's exactly what these treatments are doing. Nothing maging, just some clever analysis of the phenomenon to be able to age an instrument the way they want.

Just as @Al Krow wrote, the A.R.E & I.R.A treatment is a bit like removing an useless compressor (don't you have fingers ?).

1 minute ago, MoJo said:

Is that when buying selling equipment, or something more sinister? :lol:

Haha!

Just a Warwick $$ bass <--> Ibanez Portamento and picking up a Yammy BB425 (and separately a Future Impact pedal) so far. All resulting in a pleasant hour chin-wagging with a fellow BCer.

But I'm sure there's time yet for more sinister activities: particularly now that Hellzero is pushing me in the direction of I.R.A...

• Haha 1

BB2025Xs were under £1800 new on BassDirect when they first came out. Prices (or RRP at least) seems to have crept up since then, but street prices were always much lower.

The main difference between the two for me was the neck, more of a hand rubbed oil finish on the Japanese model, much nicer in the hand!

• Like 1