Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, bigsmokebass said:

Any news from NAMM regarding any new Yamaha basses? 

The guy on the only video I’ve seen had a difficult time discussing the basses, he said trbx wrong 3 times and gave really amateur explanations between differences etc.

probably the drum guy roped in for video.

nothing posted other than that, officially...

• Confused 1

Just now, AndyTravis said:

The guy on the only video I’ve seen had a difficult time discussing the basses, he said trbx wrong 3 times and gave really amateur explanations between differences etc.

probably the drum guy roped in for video.

nothing posted other than that, officially...

Darryl Craig Harris? I saw it too... He's always been useless and quite a generic and sloppy bass player (recalling videos from when he was a Cort Artist, bummed Marcus Miller Fenders and now Yamaha.) 

Honestly don't know why he's been taken on and especially for NAMM when his product knowledge is appalling 😂🙈

45 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Darryl Craig Harris? I saw it too... He's always been useless and quite a generic and sloppy bass player (recalling videos from when he was a Cort Artist, bummed Marcus Miller Fenders and now Yamaha.) 

Honestly don't know why he's been taken on and especially for NAMM when his product knowledge is appalling 😂🙈

Yup. That’s him.

”RBTX, RTX...”

”and this bb has a six bolt neck which sounds like a neck through but still like a bolt on”

F210CF17-C386-40DC-A36C-E6AAB609187D.jpeg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Anyone near Newmarket that would be able to collect this and I could arrange shipping once you've got it?

I don't have it yet but if my offer is accepted I'd happily take a punt on it for the money! Demo'd one in Edinburgh last week but they were asking £449 used!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, krispn said:

Anyone near Newmarket that would be able to collect this and I could arrange shipping once you've got it?

I don't have it yet but if my offer is accepted I'd happily take a punt on it for the money! Demo'd one in Edinburgh last week but they were asking £449 used!

Outrageous prices for these basses! 

39 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

I can definitely say the BB1025 is a broad thing. Not sure about the 200/400 series he's got. Perhaps with it being a cheaper bass? Colour? 

Worried about my BBP34+35 I've got on order now 😂🙈

His twitter page says he’s a bass player and the tallest man in the world.

he’s got quite the discography too - obviously a very busy guy.

Aye I can appreciate that - suits my playing arm being straighter due niggles with that!

Strap wise as an aside the GruvGear one made in association with Dave Ellefson seems to be the Bees Knees in how good it is to get the balance for your bass - had a whirl on it with a mate who had it - it’s good. It’s also Vegan for those that have limited choice

3 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Aye I can appreciate that - suits my playing arm being straighter due niggles with that!

Strap wise as an aside the GruvGear one made in association with Dave Ellefson seems to be the Bees Knees in how good it is to get the balance for your bass - had a whirl on it with a mate who had it - it’s good. It’s also Vegan for those that have limited choice

I’ve got a few padded levy’s ones. Unfortunately made out of something dead. I’ll look into the other options.

Debating the growing number of BB’s and. My now unused Jazz bass...what am I doing with all of these basses...think I need to seek out a BB p34 and have done with it.

7 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

This is starting to pan out as who wears their bass properly slung low.

i am in that camp for sure

Always been in this camp, mostly due to being built like an Ape and my arms are too long to play high up like Paul McCartney 😂

.... Not going to lie... Still a metal head and love to thrash around hahaha

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Used too - suits my back to wear them higher though as I am prone to issues.

I do suffer with muscular scoliosis, I've truly been blessed with my height too but does wearing your bass so high up actually benefit your back? 

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You've got both a BBP34 AND a P35 on order?!!! 😍

Both in the burst 👌🏻 just worried they'll look tiny on me now haha. 

• Like 1

Just now, bigsmokebass said:

Both in the burst 👌🏻 just worried they'll look tiny on me now haha. 

Congrats Is this your first dip into Yammy basses? I'm loving the fact that you've jumped straight in at the top of the passive Yammy tree!

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Debating the growing number of BB’s and. My now unused Jazz bass...what am I doing with all of these basses...think I need to seek out a BB p34 and have done with it.

I suspect that wouldn't be worst decision you will ever make, by a long way :) 

Although several of your BBs are active - do you only play them passively?

The folks on this thread who have got themselves a BBP34 / 5 have been uniformly delighted from what they've said... and if you get a chance to give bigsmokebass's P34 a whirl first, well even better! 

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats Is this your first dip into Yammy basses? I'm loving the fact that you've jumped straight in at the top of the passive Yammy tree!

Passive basses all the way here 😅 too many dead/faulty batteries at gigs... Pre dating active/passive switches as well. 

4th and 5th Yamaha basses. I tried these both not long ago, fell in love with everything about them... I just forgot to play in front of a mirror to check out the size hahaha

45 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I suspect that wouldn't be worst decision you will ever make, by a long way :) 

Although several of your BBs are active - do you only play them passively?

The folks on this thread who have got themselves a BBP34 / 5 have been uniformly delighted from what they've said... and if you get a chance to give bigsmokebass's P34 a whirl first, well even better! 

No I use the preamp...but I’ve just bought an NOS Yamaha NE-1 eq. So they can all be active 🤔

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

No I use the preamp...but I’ve just bought an NOS Yamaha NE-1 eq. So they can all be active 🤔

Gotcha! 

Maybe I'm getting lazy but I do love having my 3 band active EQ to hand on the bass itself when I'm gigging, especially if I'm combining with a wireless and not 'tied' to the spot.

But obviously plenty of folk prefer to use EQ pedals and I know how much that NE1 should be able to give you in terms of tonal flexibility!  :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1