Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 05/01/2019 at 23:16, AndyTravis said:

Dun dun derrrrrrr!

A4AEF423-AB55-41CE-A72F-E0D4647D6EEE.jpeg

Oh no, you haven't, have you?! 

The cool thing is unless your missus is looking closely you can pass a few of the same colour ones off as the same bass 😂

So which BBs are now in your possession?

Any significant difference between the models in terms of playability and sound?

Edited by Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oh no, you haven't, have you?! 

The cool thing is unless you're missus is looking closely you can pass a few of the same colour ones off as the same bass 😂

So which BBs are now in your possession?

Any significant difference between the models in terms of playability and sound?

I’m in negotiations, but cites and shipping may have stopped it dead.

erm.

the bb1100 and 350f (1987) feel very similar, the 300 (1984) has a very different neck profile (like a D) and the 414 feels like a stingray neck finish and has that “dry” quality to it.

the 200 was sent to the wrong end of the country but should be here Monday - before I sort it and get ready to send out (I don’t need a 200 and a 300)

sound wise, they’re all a bit different with the 1100 being active, 300 a reverse P, 414 passive and 350f fretless. I suspect the 1600 would be closer sound wise to the 414.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2019 at 14:50, Elfrasho said:

Am I allowed to play with this bad boy? Bb1000 from 1978, bought from our very own PawelG a few months back. I wasn't using it live until a few weeks ago as I kinda love my 5 string but I've forgotten how much i love 4 string basses! Will be playing this as my #1 for the next wee while.

DSC06470.jpg

Love this. Can I have first dibs if you ever sell it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Love this. Can I have first dibs if you ever sell it!

Oh dear...I do fear you may have caught the sed vistibulum trans versus bug!

Symptoms: it results in a large amount of time spent ogling eBay and similar sites followed by significant expenditure on older BB basses.

Can result in divorce in particularly bad cases.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MDWagstaff said:

I'm looking at acquiring a bb1100s and stringing it BEAD with flats, anyone have any experience with this (or one with flats tuned standard)? Thoughts on the tone? 

Anything on a bb1100s will be amazing, they’re astonishing basses.

• Like 1

Balls. The bb200 eventually arrived, lost, sent to a random 5 mile away post office...badly packed. Neck is cracked at headstock.

It’s going back - total waste of time to be honest, and a real shame for @Bassislife16 who had shown an interest in picking it up as since the 300 arrived, it’s sort of redundant.

B1815EFD-54C7-458C-B47C-CDCDA70A2E83.jpeg

• Confused 1

I thought I’d chime in with my BB now it’s been restored to its former goldy-ness with a replacement set of tuning machines...

I acquired this BB about a year ago. It came with non-original Gotoh tuners in silver which clashed a little with the other gold hardware, so when a gold set of schallers appeared here on BC I could resist! I also previously installed a BB2024 p’up for a bit more thunderous low end!

Love this bass!

D3BD04D7-BF24-4994-B995-98E7B6F19531.jpeg

504EA320-4274-4945-BF64-C74CD6EF845C.jpeg

CEA661D9-EA2C-42A0-9DE1-D6AEAE27D1D3.jpeg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, woolf said:

I thought I’d chime in with my BB now it’s been restored to its former goldy-ness with a replacement set of tuning machines...

I acquired this BB about a year ago. It came with non-original Gotoh tuners in silver which clashed a little with the other gold hardware, so when a gold set of schallers appeared here on BC I could resist! I also previously installed a BB2024 p’up for a bit more thunderous low end!

Love this bass!

Ooo such a beautiful bass 

4 minutes ago, MDWagstaff said:

Ooo such a beautiful bass 

And I also love the fact that the mods made have improved the look and sound of the bass (and should only enhance its value).

That, believe me, is not always the case:

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/yamaha-bb3000-1

I just can't get over the pup mod on this one...it just doesn't seem right! 😯

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, woolf said:

Love this bass!

Looking good. BB3000... You just need to pick one up to know it's at the top of tree for quality. By far the best built bass I have ever owned. 

Is the neck on your bass very shallow, mine was super slim but wide. 

Edited by 2elliot

3 hours ago, 2elliot said:

Is the neck on your bass very shallow, mine was super slim but wide.

Yes, its shallow-ish, slightly shallower than the BB1024 I owned before this. It’s such a solid, well-built beast of an instrument! And it’s the loudest bass I own unplugged. What I’d really like is a white one (like Johnathan Marons) to go alongside this that I could string with flats.... that would be very indulgent but completely necessary ofcourse 😂