Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

That grey 700 series is my favourite by far. I note the 700s seem to have a black stain on the neck and headstock, which looks much better to me than the painted ones, especially on that grey model. I'm generally a fan of a painted headstock, but I don't like the way they went for gloss black across the board instead of choosing a complimentary finish for each body colour and fingerboard material.

Nope. That shot-off pickguard just looks cheap - in fact the whole range looks like it's priced around the £300 mark. Not that it will be. The only maple board one has a painted head, too, which is me out.

I loved my BB3000, and the old 1024 and 2024s are kinda stealth basses with respect to their quality and playability, and these may well be, too, but looks-wise, they're poor.

Nope. That shot-off pickguard just looks cheap - in fact the whole range looks like it's priced around the £300 mark. Not that it will be. The only maple board one has a painted head, too, which is me out.

I loved my BB3000, and the old 1024 and 2024s are kinda stealth basses with respect to their quality and playability, and these may well be, too, but looks-wise, they're poor.

The more I look at that maple neck with the painted headstock the more I think how ridiculous it looks...
I did notice that in one of the videos there was a maple neck that didn't have the headstock painted... Edited by Dad3353

I love Yamaha and I love the BB series. I got very excited when I saw the maple neck but, it looks like they only do it on the 4 string 400 series. Gutted! I was hoping they would offer that across the whole range and especially the 700 series which, really appeals to me. I've wanted a maple neck Yamaha for so long now. One day it will happen. GAS at bay for now :ph34r:

I sold my 1024 recently after I switched to short scale. It was probably the best-sounding bass I've ever had and it was such a shame to see it go. Now, if Yamaha did a lightweight, well-balanced 1024 short scale, I'd be reaching for the Visa card.

Edited by solo4652

I have been waiting for this new range to appear for quite some time but thankfully I don't feel the need to buy one. I find that they give me the feeling of being a cheaper version of what is already out there. The difference from a BB2024 to these new ones is like the difference between a BB1200 and a BB1000. That could all change once I play one though. And in fairness I have only watched the videos on the Yamaha site as opposed to any of the others mentioned.

I'll be very interested to hear their pricing on this series.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a call from Krunch at the Yamaha store in London: my BB1025 has arrived from Germany; their very last model in Tobacco Brown Sunburst! (Will be vintage in 15 years time - lol!). Being set up tomorrow morning and I'll pop over to collect. Can't wait!

Any news / sightings of the 1035s and rest of the new range?

Also I notice some japanese sites have prices (yen obviously), for the pro P34 (~£1400 ish) and the bb734/5s (£680 ish) ....gives an idea of what to expect although they'll probably be a bit more than that here in UK when they finally arrive
http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/80-321699700
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/ishibashi-shops/80-321699200/

Edited by Dad3353

The more I look at that new matte black 700 series, the more I think Yamaha have missed a trick not finishing it in the same trans-black finish as the headstock. That would look gorgeous. I'd potentially want neck-through construction too to keep that subtle wood contrast. But seriously, the finish on that headstock looks so much better than the "trans-black" finish on the TRBX500 series...

I expect I will be drooling over these soon! Had a 1024 and a 1025 both were outstanding. Also had a trbx 305 and an rbxA2 4 string. people will like some features of the new and prefer some of the old. One thing is for sure I've never played a bad Yam. one of the best P bass tones I've heard was a BB424 at the cheaper end of their range. Lots of bang for your buck!

So my "end of the line" BB1025 in Tobacco Brown Sunburst arrived from Germany and was set up by the Yamaha store. Loved the action and feel of the guitar. But...

Must admit I found the B string a bit flaccid, however felt I could perhaps sort that by using a thicker gauge string?

However I was really disappointed that a part of the front body surface had (albeit only in decent daylight) visible scratches and the finish looked a bit tired where this was present. This was below the top clear varnish layer, so not something they could remove. They didn't want to discount further for this, so they kindly gave me a full refund instead.

Real shame! Bit concerned I was being too fussy, but my lead guitarist confirmed he wouldn't want a brand new guitar to look anything other than well, er, brand new and he confirmed I wasn't just "seeing" things!

Be interesting to see how the new BB1035's compare, or whether I'm going to be recasting my net a bit wider to reconsider e.g. getting a Warwick...

Steve Drennan, the guitar tech at the Yamaha store, said they were D'Addario 40 to 125 which seem to be the super light version? They were very bright, which was fine. He agreed that the open B was flaccid, but suggested that was how it had to be. But for me the whole point of a 5 string is powerful deep lows on that B string! He suggested up gauging to the 45 to 130 (or even 135).

I did end up choosing a Warwick (Rockbass) Streamer 5 string today, as the replacement for the 1025 I returned, rather than waiting around for the 1035 to make their appearance.