Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, MrDinsdale said:

Interesting, the 1024x was darker?

Currently torn between the 424x/1024x as I love the metal control plate.

I love my 734A but the preamp is a waste of space. Perhaps I can try and swap bodies with a 434 😂

The preamp is far from a waste of space IMO . And its not a lot of space to be fair . You can flick a switch and run it passive . Not sure what is to be gained by a body swap 🤔

31 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yes, absolutely 🙂

The pups in the 424/5 are flatter vs sonically richer / sweeter in the 1024/5.

Plus more refined woodwork eg laminate neck (1024/5) vs single piece if I remember correctly.

laminate neck on 424 also

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Ah yes thanks, that's right...it was the older 414/5 that didn't have the laminate necks.

The 414 and 415/614/615 have shallower necks too…

hence my 414 stays 

Edited by AndyTravis

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Yes, absolutely 🙂

The pups in the 424/5 are flatter vs sonically richer / sweeter in the 1024/5.

Plus more refined woodwork eg laminate neck (1024/5) vs single piece if I remember correctly.

Both laminate necks, the 1024x is calling out to me although it’s a tobacco sunburst which I can go either way on tbh.

1 hour ago, JohnH89 said:

The preamp is far from a waste of space IMO . And its not a lot of space to be fair . You can flick a switch and run it passive . Not sure what is to be gained by a body swap 🤔

I popped fresh batteries in to give it another go and I dunno what it is, maybe the choice of EQ points for the active preamp but it just doesn’t work for me.

Even in passive mode anything other than full tone goes from really bright to mud almost instantly.

Of all my basses it’s the one I really struggle to get a range of sounds I like from. I do love the one sound I can get out of it with everything on though. 

57 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

I popped fresh batteries in to give it another go and I dunno what it is, maybe the choice of EQ points for the active preamp but it just doesn’t work for me.

Even in passive mode anything other than full tone goes from really bright to mud almost instantly.

Of all my basses it’s the one I really struggle to get a range of sounds I like from. I do love the one sound I can get out of it with everything on though. 

TBF , I Iove a thick dubby sound . The 734a works for me for any songs I play . It really is the go to bass for me . It will do pretty anything that I want it to do . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnH89 said:

TBF , I Iove a thick dubby sound . The 734a works for me for any songs I play . It really is the go to bass for me . It will do pretty anything that I want it to do . 

Yeah, it’s a beautiful bass, plays great too. I think other active preamps I’ve tried or passive options like the Stellartone work much better for me personally, for whatever reason it always feels like I have more control with them. My signal chain and stuff I’m playing will probably have a big impact on that though. 

3 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Yeah, it’s a beautiful bass, plays great too. I think other active preamps I’ve tried or passive options like the Stellartone work much better for me personally, for whatever reason it always feels like I have more control with them. My signal chain and stuff I’m playing will probably have a big impact on that though. 

It's maybe a personal thing - like you I could never quite bond with my 735A in the way I did with my 1025. There's just something about the passive BB's that Yamaha seems to have got so right.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Is the 1024x a worthy upgrade to the 424x for an extra £150-175ish?

I've never played a 1024x, but if it's anything like the 2024x then yes it's a big upgrade on the 424x. 

The 424 was, from memory, a decent bass don't get me wrong. But the 20 and more affordable 10 range version made in Indonesia were a pretty epic design with a  unique tone. I never played the 1024 version but I've got a 2024x that I bought fourteen years ago when they first came out and it's a superb bass. The 1024x is supposed to be very similar, so I would recommend it on that basis.

The 2024X certainly doesn't sound muddy or dark to me, not do the 1024 basses I've seen on YouTube, but tone is a very subjective thing in terms of description. I would charactarise the 2024 tone as being like a cross between a Fender, a Spector NS2 and a Wal. Seriously, it's that good. There's a consistent punch in the midrange that makes it stand out like a foghorn. It's got the depth of an active bass whilst having all the positive attributes of a passive instrument.

The 1024 is supposed to be the same bass built in Indonesia, although if you want to get specific, the pickups and hardware are replicas made for that version, not the exact same one as was fitted on the Japanese-made basses. Also, the Indonesian basses didn't have I.R.A or A.R.E treatment. If that makes any difference.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

It's maybe a personal thing - like you I could never quite bond with my 735A in the way I did with my 1025. There's just something about the passive BB's that Yamaha seems to have got so right.

Same for me with the 735 vs P35. The 7 was cool, looked and felt great, but I just didn’t love it, unlike the passive P35. 
I’m now on the hunt for an older 415/425/1025 too! I’d bite your hand off for that vintage white 1025 now 😂

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

The 414 and 415/614/615 have shallower necks too…

hence my 414 stays 

The 20/10 series definitely do have a very different neck profile to previous Yamaha basses. It's a bit bigger overall but that's a result of the design brief at the time, which was to design the ultimate BB bass for modern rock bassists. I've got little hands (I wear small size underpants too) but I find the neck on my 2024x perfectly playable.

The  more traditional classic Yamaha shallow oval neck profile with a 40mm nut width is supremely comfortable though, it has to be said.

49 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Same for me with the 735 vs P35. The 7 was cool, looked and felt great, but I just didn’t love it, unlike the passive P35. 
I’m now on the hunt for an older 415/425/1025 too! I’d bite your hand off for that vintage white 1025 now 😂

I'd probably bite my hand off for that vintage white 1025 now, too 😅

@Happypants - what do ya reckon? 😉

• Haha 1