Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

The witdth is 40mm exactly like the 1000ma. The body is smaller than the org. BB shape.  It is modelled after MA's old BB2000 and in my opinion they developed a really great shape.  And ...Michael is not a very tall guy so I think he might have wanted something "smaller" than a BB3000 was then...

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 1

Smoothhound on my home pedal board and one other small change to my rig which I'll have to thank @bassfan for pointing my nose in the right direction! 

Great to catch up with @NotAsGoodAsJaco who's currently after a BB NE2, in fact from another chap called Al(!) so you can imagine our confusion at the start of our chat today: "Al, are you the guy selling me a NE2", "Not likely mate!" 😂

He's also after a Yammy BB1025, which I'm also not selling, but very happy to give my fellow BCer, who was on his way to one of his 280(!) gigs this year, a plug in case anyone else is thinking of moving theirs on...

This, for the avoidance of doubt, is the one that's not for sale alongside the updated rig :) 

Rig - 1905.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

I'm actually back down to a full Trav following getting shot of my 735A last week.

And I could be down to a partial Trav (heaven forbid!) if the excellent chap who wants my BB 425 as his back up bass goes ahead with the transaction when he's next up in in the Big Smoke.

Any further rumours / gossip of Yammy bringing out their modern day successor to the 1200S? (Hopefully with a 5 string option).

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

So...2 bb’s. An attitude and an rbx...full ‘trav’ of 4 Yamaha basses...

E633A8C7-ADA7-4DE7-AA71-86E69C36F39D.jpeg

E8D6FE06-2A66-4E98-A74B-E1C22AB695D9.jpeg

See that beauty in deepest tobacco and black plate? I'd never seen one in the flesh until recently. A guy rehearsing in the same place as us had one and by jimminy it was something to behold. 

Not fussed about the black and green ones (although I'm sure they play and sound fine) but the others have me drooling. 

Haha this has got to be ultimate Lilliputian debate! To scratch plate or not scratch plate = which side of the egg should you eat from, the pointy or the flat end?

I'm going to totally sit on the fence and say they can both look good! I've seen some great PGs on this thread that really add to the look and others where the unadorned finish of the bass (like the one above) looks just great! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, stewblack said:

See that beauty in deepest tobacco and black plate? I'd never seen one in the flesh until recently. A guy rehearsing in the same place as us had one and by jimminy it was something to behold. 

Not fussed about the black and green ones (although I'm sure they play and sound fine) but the others have me drooling. 

Looking like you're a BB man through and through, then, Mr Black! 

4 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Do you know @Al Krow, I've never played a Yammy. I have just offered a trade for one though... 

Likewise I never picked one up until just over 2 years back and now I have four of them!! It's a slippery slope! 

Trouble is:

1) they are often a LOT of bass for the money (and mid range ones seem to get a lot of the benefits of the high end ones, but without the price tag);

2) that P/J set up just delivers such a delicious take on the P bass tone! A touch of growl added to P thump. Love it.

Makes them hard to resist.

Which model are you going for?

Edited by Al Krow

Have to admit that this is still my favourite finish - not my bass btw - and not a scratch plate in sight! :) 

What it would have looked like before, below it. Was half tempted to buy back my old BB 425 which has come up in the FS just to get it re-finished in a similarly wicked way! 

Yamaha BB425 - that finish!.jpg

Yamaha BB425 IA.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1