Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Can't deny the quality of Yamaha products!

A question - I have acquired a set of Copper White Nylon Tapewounds and they are just a smidgeon shorter than I would like when stringing throughbody on my BB425 - Do people find a massive difference in tone/volume/feel for throughbody compared with through the bridge?

Thanks!

Diagonal body stringing - does it make any difference to the tone?

5 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

A question - I have acquired a set of Copper White Nylon Tapewounds and they are just a smidgeon shorter than I would like when stringing throughbody on my BB425 - Do people find a massive difference in tone/volume/feel for throughbody compared with through the bridge?

We had a little discussion on this very point a couple of week's back - I've cut and pasted the relevant comments in case they are helpful for your Q below. In short, the answer seems to be "no" :) 

On 12/05/2019 at 11:43, therealting said:

... I tried both stringing options and have stuck with through-body. Astounded to have all those options on a bass that cost so little though!

On 12/05/2019 at 12:14, Al Krow said:

Did you hear / notice anything much different? I've just been focusing on the (allegedly) reduced stress on the strings as per the Yammy blurb (propaganda? 😂)

“Diagonal Body Thru Stringing,” where strings are angled at the saddle and pass through the instrument to the bridge at a 45º angle, as opposed to the traditional vertical stringing method which places more stress on the strings. Diagonal Body Thru Stringing significantly reduces this stress while transferring string vibration to the body reliably and efficiently.

On 12/05/2019 at 14:42, therealting said:

Not very much in it, a smidge more attacky through the bridge, more sustainy through the body. Similar to bolt-on, neck through. YMMV.

I think the diagonal stringing just means there is less bend on the strings at the saddle. 

• Like 1

I've just met up with a very talented pro bass player and he's indirectly traded me my black Yammy BB735A for his white Yammy BBNE2!! 

The folly of youth.

Yamaha yin & yang.jpg

...ok so there may be have been a bit of a time gap (a couple of years) between the two events and effectively some (ok quite a lot!) net cash flowing from me to him (so it wasn't actually a trade) but even so! 

Looks like I am going to have to change my avatar now though, and also rue the fact that he's living my dream... 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man, the 3000MA  plays and sounds like a dream. It is the BB1000MA in "noble" .  As I said before I had the chance to by one about 10-12  years ago and I did not go for it. This bass makes me look like a fool, it sounds so incredibly good !! It has a very nice "growl" .  The neck is slightly thicker but still not "thick" .  I wonder when I ever played a neck through with such a nice and hard attack. It is my sound dream come true. 

4 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Man, the 3000MA  plays and sounds like a dream. It is the BB1000MA in "noble" .  As I said before I had the chance to by one about 10-12  years ago and I did not go for it. This bass makes me look like a fool, it sounds so incredibly good !! It has a very nice "growl" .  The neck is slightly thicker but still not "thick" .  I wonder when I ever played a neck through with such a nice and hard attack. It is my sound dream come true. 

Excellent! If I remember your posts correctly - neck through is not your thing, you prefer bolt-ons. 

Until now 😊

• Like 1

Guest MoJo
18 hours ago, richardd said:

Yes it was ☺

Are you sure that the first two digits aren’t letters? The first two on my BB1100s were I and J (see below). Check it’s not two I’s

‘II’ would make it Feb 1992 I believe

IMG_0818.thumb.JPG.e43d4469a504f67741ddc280a1c8f921.JPG

Edited by MoJo

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I've just met up with a very talented pro bass player and he's indirectly traded me my black Yammy BB735A for his white Yammy BBNE2!! 

The folly of youth.

Yamaha yin & yang.jpg

...ok so there may be have been a bit of a time gap (a couple of years) between the two events and effectively some (ok quite a lot!) net cash flowing from me to him (so it wasn't actually a trade) but even so! 

Looks like I am going to have to change my avatar now though, and also rue the fact that he's living my dream... 😂

HAHA! What a great post! 😂

I'm rather taken with this bass! If you took the 'Made in Indonesia' sticker off (and painted the inside of the truss rod adjuster!) would struggle to tell you if it was MIJ or not...

I still might have to get it painted white - though matte black is far more fetching than I'd anticipated - I'd never liked a black bass until today. I ended up doing a whole photoshoot with it - I really have a thing for BBs and photos. All my major photos have been with your gorgeous BBNE2, a legendary BB5000 and now this 735. I guess I have a thing for BB 5 strings - but I hope this one stays!

Ready for a weekend of 3 shows in Devon and Manchester respectively (nice to be so conveniently located! 🤦‍♂️) and this chap will probably be with me on all of them! Gig shots and reports incoming for sure. Until then here are some snaps verifying the BB as 'The Photographers' Choice'... T

61280984_2324103674472416_7626051202433679360_o.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_7323.JPG

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4042 2.jpg

• Like 2

@TJ Spicer what a great post and great pics! Totally delighted you're liking it a lot and I look forward to seeing and hearing news of it in action. Devon and Manchester in one weekend!! 

I was kinda worried that it might fall a little flat compared to the august company it's now finding itself in, particularly your Sadowsky, but it seems to be holding its own for your affections so far :)

• Like 1

Concerning the serial numbers of the BB3000ma: 
Found a pic / page  with a serial number of the same system like mine and a stated date on it so that I know the used number system for the BB3000ma  is the one of 

Made in Japan, 1994-1997:
#-letter-letter-###. Like so: 7FM123.

So mine is also from 2001. 

MAtext.jpg

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

66D4F9E7-195C-4ED7-AF38-50F55FB0F94D.jpeg

Looks great with that white pearl p/g. My favourite colour (well equal with white!) on a yammy. When you selling it to me Andy?? 😍

Edited by bassfan

5 hours ago, gobasserk said:

Concerning the serial numbers of the BB3000ma: 
Found a pic / page  with a serial number of the same system like mine and a stated date on it so that I know the used number system for the BB3000ma  is the one of 

Made in Japan, 1994-1997:
#-letter-letter-###. Like so: 7FM123.

So mine is also from 2001. 

MAtext.jpg

That's interesting.  Does it have a smaller body than the usual BB bass? Also what is the width at the nut?