Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Just noted that the 435 has the extended bridge piece for the B string, not present on the 735A or the P35. Struggling to see why Yammy are still doing this given that the 435 is a string through body?

0E41B5B1-BBE3-42E3-988A-8CD2919B5E2C.jpeg

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Just noted that the 435 has the extended bridge piece for the B string, not present on the 735A or the P35. Struggling to see why Yammy are still doing this given that the 435 is a string through body?

0E41B5B1-BBE3-42E3-988A-8CD2919B5E2C.jpeg

Options...and maybe it’s cheaper for them to keep doing the same bridge they’ve been doing since the 415 rather than re-tooling and changing. 

If my old 415 and 425x were anything to go by, I’d say it’s a good thing.45AF612A-D63D-4CCB-86C2-0D11817B5812.thumb.jpeg.ddf56d965a8c8f90bb66c6781c699b51.jpeg

• Like 1

Andy - totally makes sense in the 415 as it wasn't string through body (right?) But since then I'm not so sure other than your economics point of, "oh we've got a few thousand of these bridge pieces knocking around which still need using up!"

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Now that in a 4 stringer would be nice. Mmmm

STOP IT Al. its not fair. GAS is rising again.:laugh1:

Dave

You could pick up a BB 234 / 5 for less than the cost of swapping the pups and EQ on another more rip-off design bass that charges designer prices 🤣

Joshing aside, dv247 are doing a brand new BB 235 for £300 and a BB 234 for £265!

But seriously don't click on that link. As it's then only one step further to hitting the order button.

Edited by Al Krow

19 minutes ago, therealting said:

As the others have said, the extended B stringing gives options and a tauter feel when stringing through the bridge rather than through the body. The question for me is why they didn’t do it for the 735 and P35!

But only the 415 is stringing through the bridge, the 425 and 435 are body through stringing and they both have the extended bridge piece - why? The 1025, 735A and P35 are all body through and, quite rightly, don't have the extended bridge piece.

However, the 235 is stringing through the bridge and doesn't have the extended B string bridge piece.

Methinks Yammy are using their surplus bridge piece stock on the wrong basses! i.e. they should be using them on the 235 and not the 435 (where they look a bit weird and serve no purpose).

Edited by Al Krow

12 minutes ago, therealting said:

As the others have said, the extended B stringing gives options and a tauter feel when stringing through the bridge rather than through the body. The question for me is why they didn’t do it for the 735 and P35!

Because it is a crap design and looks ugly, it would put me off buying a P35.

The reason the B is pushed back is because the saddle needs to go further back in order to intonate correctly, and it just needed more room. A better solution would have been to redesign and/or move the bridge, which is they did with the 1025.

51 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You could pick up a BB 234 / 5 for less than the cost of swapping the pups and EQ on another more rip-off design bass that charges designer prices 🤣

Joshing aside, dv247 are doing a brand new BB 235 for £300 and a BB 234 for £265!

But seriously don't click on that link. As it's then only one step further to hitting the order button.

Need to go try one see what its like but i have a notion for the 2nd hand black BB3000 i posted earlier. 

New kitchen being done in couple of months so need to wait till next year. 60th birthday so that might work very well and the Yamaha shape fits in well with my 70;s Glam covers band. 

Al...........i'm beginning to hate you :laugh1:

Dave 

8 minutes ago, bassfan said:

That’s a well known symptom of the “Krow effect” 😂😂

Haha... @bassfan has ended up with a Mesa M6 and is on the way to getting his second (rather lush) Yamaha BB. And he's even got a pedal board. Not sure any of these were part of his 5 year plan 😂

@dmccombe7 a vintage white BB finished like this for your 70s glam covers band? Now you're talking!

DSC_0722.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Not sure any of these were part of his 5 year plan 😂

If I had a plan they definitely wouldn’t have been on it and they certainly aren’t on the wife’s! , although the M6 was a good buy to be fair it is now my main gigging rig! I didn’t need the pedal board and still don’t really, neither do I need the yammys... damn that NE2 of yours. 

Edited by bassfan

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

But only the 415 is stringing through the bridge, the 425 and 435 are body through stringing and they both have the extended bridge piece - why? The 1025, 735A and P35 are all body through and, quite rightly, don't have the extended bridge piece.

However, the 235 is stringing through the bridge and doesn't have the extended B string bridge piece.

Methinks Yammy are using their surplus bridge piece stock on the wrong basses! i.e. they should be using them on the 235 and not the 435 (where they look a bit weird and serve no purpose).

The 435 isn’t just string through though, it offers two options of either string through bridge or through body.

Economically, it would make more sense to use the same bridge for all the 3 series basses rather than two different ones. 

• Like 1

Except, I have to agree with dB that it doesn't look that good! And given the choice of through body or through bridge, I would go for through body every time. 

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Except, I have to agree with dB that it doesn't look that good! And given the choice of through body or through bridge, I would go for through body every time. 

I don’t disagree... but I also hated the pickup surrounds on the older BBs so everyone’s different! I tried both stringing options and have stuck with through-body. Astounded to have all those options on a bass that cost so little though!

24 minutes ago, therealting said:

... I tried both stringing options and have stuck with through-body. 

Did you hear / notice anything much different?

I've just been focusing on the (allegedly) reduced stress on the strings as per the Yammy blurb (propaganda? 😂)

“Diagonal Body Thru Stringing,” where strings are angled at the saddle and pass through the instrument to the bridge at a 45º angle, as opposed to the traditional vertical stringing method which places more stress on the strings. Diagonal Body Thru Stringing significantly reduces this stress while transferring string vibration to the body reliably and efficiently.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Did you hear / notice anything much different?

I've just been focusing on the (allegedly) reduced stress on the strings as per the Yammy blurb (propaganda? 😂)

“Diagonal Body Thru Stringing,” where strings are angled at the saddle and pass through the instrument to the bridge at a 45º angle, as opposed to the traditional vertical stringing method which places more stress on the strings. Diagonal Body Thru Stringing significantly reduces this stress while transferring string vibration to the body reliably and efficiently.

Not very much in it, a smidge more attacky through the bridge, more sustainy through the body. Similar to bolt-on, neck through. YMMV.

I think the diagonal stringing just means there is less bend on the strings at the saddle. 

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Haha... @bassfan has ended up with a Mesa M6 and is on the way to getting his second (rather lush) Yamaha BB. And he's even got a pedal board. Not sure any of these were part of his 5 year plan 😂

@dmccombe7 a vintage white BB finished like this for your 70s glam covers band? Now you're talking!

DSC_0722.JPG

Maybe in a 4 stringer. :laugh1: