Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

6 minutes ago, MDWagstaff said:

Is there anyone out there with the 615 and the 735a? 

Looking like that's going to be you! 😁

Whereabouts are you based? If you're close to East London you're very welcome to try mine (and the Yammy store in Central London will definitely have one in stock). 

PS does your 615 Aggie pre enable it to be used in passive mode, or is still purely active? 

Edited by Al Krow

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Looking like that's going to be you! 😁

Whereabouts are you based? If you're close to East London you're very welcome to try mine (and the Yammy store in Central London will definitely have one in stock). 

PS does your 615 Aggie pre enable it to be used in passive mode, or is still purely active? 

Wigan based sadly, thanks for the offer though 

My 615 is active without a bypass but I do believe the Pickups themselves are passive so there's nothing to stop someone installing a bypass for the preamp

Apologies @Horizontalste for pulling this over from another (Accessories) thread, but OMG I totally love what you've done to your 425!!! Wow!

2 hours ago, Horizontalste said:

@AndyTravis have you considered the Hipshot Vintage? I have one on my 425 & they really suit the style of the bass, not too different from the 102/202 bridges & not all that expensive from what I remember!

DSC_0722.JPG

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Apologies @Horizontalste for pulling this over from another (Accessories) thread, but OMG I totally love what you've done to your 425!!! Wow!

No worries, it gets that reaction quite a lot!

I bought it cheap when they were end of line, think I paid £220 brand new so thought I'd use it as a platform for mods.

The graphics are hydro-dipped, neck lacquered & fretboard dyed, bridge replaced & wired VVT to get rid of the awful pickup switch.

Do you wanna see her backside?

DSC_0576.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Love her backside too!

Btw - some of us actually like that 'awful' pick up selector switch!

😁

😂 Sorry, I don't suppose they're that bad, I just prefer the flexibility the VVT arrangement gives it!

I originally wanted a pan knob but I already had another volume pot so used that, if a P-retro pops up on the sale boards I might give that a go 😁

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Who did the finishing & paint work for you (or did you do it yourself)?

Body was dipped & lacquered by a company called Hydrodip Designs in Weston Super Mare & the neck was lacquered by Jamie Davey.

https://jdaveyguitars.com

http://hydrodip-designs.co.uk

The fretboard dye & wiring was done by me.

Edited by Horizontalste
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

...No expert on Yamaha basses but do you get an option on pick ups with them or do you have to take the stock items? They have a particular tone to my ear and altho i like that particular tone it may not be to everyone's taste and that may be the reason they aren't far more popular than they are. They are a well made bass but you don't see many bassists using them in local bands. Then again i don't see many Sandbergs in local bands either. It's nearly always Fender :D

Dave

Dave - just pulling your Yammy query over onto this Yammy thread.

The latest '3' series Yammy BB basses come with set P/J pups (i.e. no choice of pups); the more expensive basses have slightly upgraded pups to the 'workhorse' end of the range. Unlike the older series, I understand that the '3' series pups are more industry standard in their fit to make swapping them out for alternatives easier, should anyone want to. Must admit I really like them the way the are - they work really well for me.

But not really a fair comparison with Bergs - not sure what a 'Basic' Berg costs, but a new BB 434, which seems to me to be a very good bass, can be bought new for around £450 - so if you want to upgrade pups and / or preamp you would still have plenty of change from £1k

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Dave - just pulling your Yammy query over onto this Yammy thread.

The latest '3' series Yammy BB basses come with set P/J pups (i.e. no choice of pups); the more expensive basses have slightly upgraded pups to the 'workhorse' end of the range. Unlike the older series, I understand that the '3' series pups are more industry standard in their fit to make swapping them out for alternatives easier, should anyone want to. Must admit I really like them the way the are - they work really well for me.

But not really a fair comparison with Bergs - not sure what a 'Basic' Berg costs, but a new BB 434, which seems to me to be a very good bass, can be bought new for around £450 - so if you want to upgrade pups and / or preamp you would still have plenty of change from £1k

What do you mean by ‘Basic’ Berg?

434 is not comparable with the California range, neither really the electra range, it is sitting below that