Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

53 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Brilliant. A burst BB matching Headstock...

will try the preamp as I know they’re not everyone’s cuppa. Then I’ll investigate options.

will wear a pickguard like my 414 too.

F79B7AF3-B203-4B31-967D-9BCDC271B985.png

I have the 615, replaced the pre with an Aguilar which sonically has put it up there with £1k+ basses. Without fail it has been given compliments on how it sounds by everyone the first time they've heard it

23 minutes ago, MDWagstaff said:

I have the 615, replaced the pre with an Aguilar which sonically has put it up there with £1k+ basses. Without fail it has been given compliments on how it sounds by everyone the first time they've heard it

The 615 always did seem like a lot of bass to me. The precursor to the current 735A if I'm not mistaken (and there was no equivalent in the "2" series). 

Did you go for an OBP3? 

53 minutes ago, MDWagstaff said:

Which model? Thanks! Edit - Obp3 just read

Edited by AndyTravis

9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m going to put my black one on the Sunburst and get a white pearl (as I’d originally planned) for the orange bb 

Pearl would look best👍🏻👍🏻And then sell the orange one to me. 👍🏻😂

2 minutes ago, MDWagstaff said:

Also to note, thankfully the electronics cavity is big enough to accommodate an extra battery for an 18v system 

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the whole upgrade for the OB3 plus fitting (or did you manage to get that done yourself)?

4 minutes ago, MDWagstaff said:

I can't remember off the top of my head, it was 9 years ago now and I got the nut changed to bone at the same time but I think it was about £110 for the preamp and about £30-40 for the installation 

Aha, thanks. And here's the point: you've kept (and really liked?) the 615 with OBP3 pre for nearly a decade!

That speaks quality to me.

1 minute ago, ChrisJaxon said:

Yep brand new. Seen it in the flesh. I have had 2 basses from Mickleburgh and always had a good deal. I was tempted....but now have a 735!

^^ exactly this for me too! 

But the possibility of refi in white and dropping in an OBP3 as suggested above, or in my case a John East Uni Pre with para mids. Hmmm... now that is tempting!

Chris - do you know if the 615 is purely active or does it have a passive switch? 

16 minutes ago, ChrisJaxon said:

This 615 is active only, no passive mode. AFIK!

That was my understanding too. Now we know why we have our 735A's :)

...although I'm guessing that if you're dropping a new preamp in, then a passive / active switch will anyway come as 'standard' with some of these?

PS I've also just noticed that the 615 has the same B string bridge 'extension' that is there on the 425 (and I presume also the 415?) which has disappeared in the newer '3 series' range (blimey that sounds like a BMW, which is probably about right for the modern Yammy basses 😂).

Edited by Al Krow