Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

11 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

That's cool, I've just recorded a full album using my 734a for goth noise makers The Golden Age of Nothing. 

Wow! Congratulations - I have so much respect for any of us with a creative string to their bow! 

You gonna post a link to it on here for us? 

Man what can I say.... it looks absolutely stunning for me. The best finish of the BB series. 

What I did not expect is the difference in sound... it is so different to the 1000ma..!  I don't know if it is only the pu position but it has so much more low end. But the biggest thing ist that is has way more output.  I had to build totally new sounds on my effect pedal because all sounds that I am using with the 1000ma are now distorted... had to build new sounds on a very low basic sound to get a decent undistorted sound. 

bb4143003.jpeg

• Like 2

On 27/04/2019 at 23:30, krispn said:

So which is your preference over the BB735 and the BBP35 after the initial play test. 

@Al Krow

I was thinking more about ‘passive mode V’s passive bass’ as the active will obviously have a greater variety of options. Does the 734 in passive mode sound or feel so different that it’s worth the upgrade to BBP35? There’s a BBP34 up just now but I can’t see the value in the upgrade even with the vibration treatment. Any details on the nuances are welcome. The video recently posted I couldn’t really discern and differences in passive. 

Edited by krispn
Predictive text as ever!

2 hours ago, krispn said:

@Al Krow

I was thinking more about ‘passive mode V’s passive bass’ as the active will obviously have a greater variety of options. Does the 734 in passive mode sound or feel so different that it’s worth the upgrade to BBP35? There’s a BBP34 up just now but I can’t see the value in the upgrade even with the vibration treatment. Any details on the nuances are welcome. The video recently posted I couldn’t really discern and differences in passive. 

Hey buddy, sure, that is a very good question to be asking IMO. 

I've kinda answered that indirectly with the initial comments I've made on the BB1025 vs the BBP35, which are both purely passive. There is not a huge amount in it between those two basses, but the P35 does feel a little more comfortable to wear (better weight distribution) even though it's heavier, and a little higher quality overall. 

I managed to get my white 1025 for £550 as a new end of line model from the Yammy store. Would I pay £800 more for a new P35? Nope. Would I pay £350 more for a mint used P35, yes! 

Put it another way, I've currently got five Yammy basses and if I had to choose which two I would definitely want to keep, it would be the NE2 and the P35. 

I was thinking more the direct differences between the BB735 V's BBP35 as they're more similar in terms of their pick up's, features etc than the 1025 V's BBP35 comparison but yeah I get your points about those two.

That's really my question would I be getting anything 'more' in the BBP34 over the 734 as you have the 735/BBP35 to compare directly considering the substantial price difference in the two. It'd be good to hear from someone who can directly compare the two. From what I can gather the vibration treatment is the only difference?

Interesting that you picked those two, what's the reasons?

Edited by krispn
predictive text!!

This is a summary of where I've got to on your Q krispn. 

Differences between the 735A and P35

Unlike the 735A, the P35 has a couple of the key ingredients of the former 'flagship' passive BB the BB2025 thrown in:

·        it has one of the two wood treatment that the 2025 benefited from: the Initial Response Acceleration ('I.R.A') to give it a day one 'played in' feel;

·        it is a MIJ crafted bass, which I suspect accounts for a chunk of its premium pricing.

EQ

The key difference between the two is undoubtedly the EQ with the BB 735A having Yamaha's 3 band EQ and active / passive selector switch, whereas the P35 is purely passive.

The EQ on the 735A follows a lot of 3 band EQs layout with volume dial, pup selector / blend dial, and then 3 band EQ in active mode and treble / tone roll-off only in passive mode.

The new BB "3 series" passive basses have a VVT set of dials i.e. is a separate volume control for each pup and you blend accordingly.

Weights and balance

The P35 actually 'hangs' a little more comfortably off my frame than my other Yammys including the 735A. So when I put them all on the scales I was a little surprised to find:

P35 (and NE2) - 10.2 lbs

735A (and 1025) - 9.6 lbs

The combination of a slightly heavier body and lightweight tuners on the P35 gives it more of a balance between neck and body and, in consequence, there is a touch less neck dive on the P35.

Edited by Al Krow

Why keep the NE2 and P35 out of my various Yammy basses?

The NE2 has a more versatile active EQ than the 735A particularly with the parametric mid cut, a low end that can be monstrous and is just a beautiful, very well constructed bass.

The P35 is the best of the passives - it just feels a touch classier than the others; what tips the scales for me is its greater playing comfort arising from its weight balance which means I just want to reach for that particular bass.

I've been lucky in being able to get all my Yammys used other than the 1025 which was end of line (so pretty much used pricing for a new bass).

However, if I was forced to buy them new, there's only one I would go for and that would be the BB 735A which is the swiss army knife of the Yammy BB range and delivers very good value indeed.

Edited by Al Krow

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

This is a summary of where I've got to on your Q krispn. 

Differences between the 735A and P35

Unlike the 735A, the P35 has a couple of the key ingredients of the former 'flagship' passive BB the BB2025 thrown in:

·        it has one of the two wood treatment that the 2025 benefited from: the Initial Response Acceleration ('I.R.A') to give it a day one 'played in' feel;

·        it is a MIJ crafted bass, which I suspect accounts for a chunk of its premium pricing.

EQ

The key difference between the two is undoubtedly the EQ with the BB 735A having Yamaha's 3 band EQ and active / passive selector switch, whereas the P35 is purely passive.

The EQ on the 735A follows a lot of 3 band EQs layout with volume dial, pup selector / blend dial, and then 3 band EQ in active mode and treble / tone roll-off only in passive mode.

The new BB "3 series" passive basses have a VVT set of dials i.e. is a separate volume control for each pup and you blend accordingly.

Weights and balance

The P35 actually 'hangs' a little more comfortably off my frame than my other Yammys including the 735A. So when I put them all on the scales I was a little surprised to find:

P35 - 10.2 lbs

735A - 9.6 lbs

The combination of a slightly heavier body and lightweight tuners on the P35 gives it more of a balance between neck and body and, in consequence, there is a touch less neck dive on the P35.

Cheers for that but the spec aside it's really the tonal similarities I was asking about. I've read the respective pages on the Yamaha site and the vibration treatment (and MIJ build) aside it appears they're 'the same bass on paper' with the same pick up's. I guess the original question still stands "Do they sound the same/similar in passive mode or is there a discernible difference?"

@krispn

I don't think there is a discernible difference that anyone would notice in a band mix.

And even on a standalone basis at home, I would need identical strings with equal wear to be able to answer that question definitively

It didn't read on paper that the extra £££ for the BBP34 would be 'adding value' to an already good bass that is the 734.

It's actually quite a weight difference but I'm guessing the cavity for the pre-amp reduces some of the mass. Knowing your preference for lightweight gear I'd have thought you'd gravitate to the lighter model.

Do you see the P35 knocking the Ibanez off the 'go to' gig bass (or did the other Yamaha already take that spot?) Understandable they're two different voices now you've had an opportunity to gig a few of them...

Lighter gear - yup(!) and primarily on amps and cabs. Big reason why I love my BF SC at 21 lbs! 

A couple of lbs on a bass can also make a difference on a 2 hour gig for me and on that one my Ibby SR, at just 8.3 lbs, wins.

However, as I'm sure you know already, weight balance on a bass can mean that a heavier bass is actually more comfortable to wear and play; and the P35 does very well on that score.

I've actually been gigging my two Yammys recently (1025 and 735A) - just enjoying the P/J sound a lot. But having a throaty Nord pup J/J  Ibby is a nice alternative and being able to mix things up once in a while keeps all my favourite basses 'fresh'. Bit like not playing exactly the same set each gig, I guess?

The 735A does passive and active both very well and that gives it a broad usable tonal palette. Kinda just perfect as a grab and go for pub gigs.

I'm glad I got the P35 and am rapidly coming to like it a lot. 

So it's looking like there will be room for the P35 and 735A on the Krow bass rack and both of them will be gigged.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I'd like to know this too.  I've owned a 434 and it was great, really loved it; and I still own a 735A.  I like the simplicity of a passive bass and have considered a 435 - but doesn't really make sense to trade in, as the value of my used 735A is about the same as a new 435.  Also there are small things I like about the 735 - matt headstock, fingerboard inlays - and a proper bridge.  Also I much prefer a blend or switch to two volume controls - although I could always rewire I guess.  I'm probably too stingy to move up to the P35 (although if that £900 one Bas got had been sunburst...).

40 minutes ago, therealting said:

Are there big differences between the 435 and P35?

See my earlier post for differences between 735A and P35. 

There is then a further step up from 435 to the 735A / P35 in construction and pups. You need to decide for yourselves whether the price difference is worth it for you - that's going to be a personal decision I can't make for you! :)

What I can say for me is that the difference in new prices would be too much, but the difference in used prices wasn't (particularly as used prices should hold up if I ever decide to move it on). 

18 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Although if that £900 one Bas got had been sunburst...

John - it's good we all have different tastes! If that P35 had been in burst, I wouldn't have gotten in your way! 😀 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

See my earlier post for differences between 735A and P35. 

There is then a further step up from 435 to the 735A / P35 in construction and pups. You need to decide for yourselves whether the price difference is worth it for you - that's going to be a personal decision I can't make for you! :)

What I can say for me is that the difference in new prices would be too much, but the difference in used prices wasn't (particularly as used prices should hold up if I ever decide to move it on).

The price I got on my 435 is pretty much unbeatable IMO, more than £850 less than the cheapest P35 price I’ve seen. I may yet change out the pickups and get the fingerboard dressed and rolled.

Edited by therealting