Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Weights and balance

The P35 actually 'hangs' a little more comfortably off my frame than my other three Yammys. So when I put them all on the scales I was a little surprised to find:

P35 and NE2 - 10.2 lbs

735A and 1025 - 9.6 lbs

The combination of a slightly heavier body and lightweight tuners on the P35 gives it more of a balance between neck and body and, in consequence, there is a touch less neck dive on the P35.

Still getting used to having individual volume controls on the P35 - it's actually a really nice touch, but the flip side is that it's a bit less easy to switch pups than by using the selector switch on the 1025 or dialling a pup selector knob mid song, as you have to deal with two knobs rather than just one. Fortunately not something I'm needing to do too often.

@M@23 - my Ibby SR1825 weighs in at 8.3 lbs, and is therefore nearly 2lbs lighter than your old P35 so if you want a lightweight bass, like a touch of the Warwick growl from the pups, appreciate a 3 band EQ and find a fast neck a delight then I'd definitely recommend you also checking out the Ibby SR Premium range; you'll have plenty of change left over from your Berg into the bargain!  :) 

Actually really surprised the P35 weighs that much! I thought Yamaha had weighed it for me and it came in around 9.6! Maybe they weighed a 735! I'll have to check old emails. It does sit well on the strap, glad you find it comfy. 

I liked the VVT controls, not for everyone, but I liked the anonymity of it. Granted, I didn't solo either, so the option to favour one slightly more than the other suited me well; and a decrease on one or the other gave some different and great results. 

Great weight on the Ibanez. You've definitely piqued my interest, I was on their website last night! I do need to check them out. Though, one of the gigs I do, I think the band leader would panic if I turned up with something non Fender looking! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M@23 said:

Though, one of the gigs I do, I think the band leader would panic if I turned up with something non Fender looking! 

Haha! - He'll get over it as soon as he discovers how great it sounds!

I had one of my guitarists 'begging' me to please use my Ibby (as it happens instead of my old Berg which had been my goto bass - and obviously looks like a Fender given that Holger unashamedly stole Fender's design), and often had random compliments about my Ibby from strangers (particularly musos) on what a good looking bass it was. So you may be pleasantly surprised! :) 

• Like 1

Man.... I will call it...butterfly from caterpillar ....

I bought the bass ...old strings, dusty... smoker flat, dogs.... but even with the old (!) Warwick red label strings it was a promissing sound...

Came home and spend some long time cleaning bass and fretboard, oiling etc...it turned out to be a very beautiful bass!
With new d'addario steels it sounds superb!!! I am realy happy. Had a BB424 last year (white) that did not sound like this one. Bought and sold a BB1024 last year..it had a baseball racket neck and was far to heavey. This one plays and sounds great, will try to do some recordings tomorrow. 

1 pic:  from the advert

2 pic:  the dirt of the fretboard.....

3 pic:  start of cleaning / oiling

5 pic:  Shiny beautiful new bass 

ybb414a.jpeg

ybb414c.jpeg

ybb4142.jpeg

ybb414e (2).jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gobasserk said:

With all the years gone by....working the day after a new bass still sucks !! 😛

Haha! You only find that working the day after a new bass sucks?! What about every other day? 😂😁🤣

• Like 1

Bit of a sidetrack, I know, but don't tell me you're an Ibby fan as well as a Yammy fan?!

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

This is so tempting. Cannot believe it’s still here.

If so I think I've just found a bass twin! Lol! If that SR900 had been a 5er (which the seller mentions he also has), I'd have been very tempted to snap it up myself at just £300. And at that price swapping out the Barts for some Nord big singles and maybe even putting a John East Pre would have have made for a cool little project and I suspect an awesome lightweight bass ( @M@23 just a thought! :)

The mind boggles. Perhaps somewhere, out there in infinity, is another SR1205 owner with such a horrifically damaged body that they would like to upgrade to this as a replacement! But probably not in this universe.

3 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

The mind boggles. Perhaps somewhere, out there in infinity, is another SR1205 owner with such a horrifically damaged body that they would like to upgrade to this as a replacement! But probably not in this universe.

Quantum tunnelling required, I suspect. Probably via a black hole. 

On 30/04/2019 at 10:18, gobasserk said:

This is from 2017 I think... did a record for a gothrock band.  I remember bringing several basses to the session but the BB won

Godex / BB1000ma

That's cool, I've just recorded a full album using my 734a for goth noise makers The Golden Age of Nothing. 

• Like 1